Author Topic: 18/1 Gaskets?  (Read 2904 times)

mcreeferson

• View Profile
18/1 Gaskets?
« on: February 10, 2016, 06:56:43 PM »
Hey all,

During disassembly I tossed all the old gaskets, and while I wait for replacements to come in, I figured I could go ahead and do some dry fitting with shim stock to represent the missing gaskets. I am specifically working on checking crankshaft straightness as 38ac outlined in his thread. I am curious if any of you folks with the 18/1's can give me any idea of what sort of thickness (ballpark) the TRB gaskets have on these machines? I am seeing just shy of an 1/8" of total gasket build up will be required to achieve zero end play on the crank, does this sound right to you?

I do have a couple TRB gaskets from one of the smaller listeroids due to a small mix-up, and these are somewhere around .010" in thickness. That works out to a hell of a lot of gaskets, maybe 6 or 8 per side after torquing. Just seems excessive to me, so I am checking to see what the "norm" might be? Perhaps the 18/1's use a thicker sort of gasket, and I am comparing apples to orangutans?

Thanks in advance!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: 18/1 Gaskets?
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2016, 09:24:35 PM »
1/8" sounds like a pretty large stack to me.  What thickness was removed?

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:43:40 PM »
The norm with India engines is there is no norm and no way I would trust the original stack to be correct anyway so you really didnt lose anything.
 Have assembled with anywhere from 2-3 gaskets to a stack like you are experiencing. If you removed the races be sure they are seated.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 11:01:30 PM »

Different animal, but I  will add my 25/2 took a hand full on both sides.

Generally, I like to keep track when I take them apart. 

Just a point for future reference.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2016, 01:04:41 AM »
Yeah, 1/16 a side seemed a bit much to me. It was almost a year ago now that I pulled it apart, and I honestly can't really recall what was there, not that that would have been right anyway.

I do recall those side plates being a bear to get out, and upon trying to reassemble I would flat out refuse to believe they were previously installed had I not been the one who took them out. To say they are tight fitting would be a huge understatement! I am at a loss for how they got this thing together in the first place. After putting the trb caps in the lathe and cleaning up the seating surfaces with a file and emery strips, and going to town on the crankcase cleaning the mating bore, it would still have been a heavy press fit. I guess they must have just used the studs to crank in the side plates, otherwise they would have had to load the whole rig in a press to get them on.

I did not remove the races, and I can't see them having moved, there is no evidence of that. Though I will admit I was second guessing myself when I saw that gap. I am kind of hoping they did have a stack of gaskets in there, and didn't just crank down on the thing until it seated. I guess the crank check will tell the tale there...