Puppeteer

Author Topic: Hurry rigged starter  (Read 4498 times)

Mr X

• View Profile
Hurry rigged starter
« on: February 05, 2016, 03:00:25 PM »
Wow this morning I wet to start the Roid and huff and puff she wouldn't start. Ok so I rested and tried again. And I rested and tried again. And again still no go . I checked and blead the injector line,no. I checked and blead the injector pump, no. Shit, now after a few more tries to start I'm hooped. I can visualize a heart attak. Better have an early lunch and a nap. 2 hr later it's time to try again, no. Ok bring out the spare gen set and I'll try something. I have a large socket set 2 in socket and put a 3/8 nut in the key way Aand it bites. I have driver reducers that go from 3/4 to fitting in a drill. I use my 1/2 Mikita drill, fire up the spare gen and give it a try, it turns it just barely, drill I'm sure isn't happy. Can't smell no smoke so it's ok. Ok off we go spinning spinning ever faster but I can't let go of the drill to grab compression release, ah finly, reached it and the Roid springs into life wow what a process. I'm going to have to finish the electric start I'm I started building last fall, share would help in times like this.

X
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

George A

• View Profile
Re: Hurry rigged starter
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2016, 04:13:39 PM »
Wow............clever. Maybe I'm not seeing the whole process though.......how did you get the socket to release from the crank once the engine started? Did the nut just spin out?
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2016, 05:48:38 PM »
Sounds like he got her spinning good, removed the drill and dropped the compression release. It shouldn't be so hard to start, what's up with that?
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 01:10:15 PM »
Good news today it started as usual with just one crank and a little sniff of eather. I knew there was nothing wrong she just wanted to be cantancourous. When I started with the drill the reducers came out of the socket on firing up and socket was a bit stuck on shaft I just took the end of the reducers and taped on the edge of socket to pop it off.

X
6/1 PS Jkson soon to run WVO,  3 hp Petter, 3 Honda 5 hp, 1 weed eater, Live off grid, Now a dog farmer

Mr X

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2016, 03:24:39 PM »
Well 2 days after my hard start episode she started over heating and bubbling through the rad resivoir tank. Humm! Blown head gasket. Oh well can't complain it has been  just shy of ( surprise ) 1800 hr since last decarbon. Wow. Water injection really works I have some pics I'll try to post. Decarboning was a synch.
http://s106.photobucket.com/user/MRx_04/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image.jpg.html

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2016, 10:52:50 PM »
I can't help but laugh when I looked at your coked up piston head.. not at the carbon, that was impressive but the fact that your photo hosting site asked me if I wanted to make a calendar or greeting cards with the picture.  How cute would that be.. Merry Christmas from my carboned up piston :)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 01:02:19 AM »
Questions
Did you use a whiff of ether on the first hard starting episode, or only on the 2nd ?

What water injection method had you been using, and when was it last used before the blowout ?