Author Topic: Lister SR2 free to good home  (Read 14908 times)

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Lister SR2 free to good home
« on: January 24, 2016, 07:05:27 PM »
As some of you may recall, a couple of years ago, I was able to rescue an SR2 (1968) Gen Set from a small island near my location.
As life progresses, I can see that time and energy for this restoration project is in short supply. Perhaps there is someone who would like to have this engine, and put it back into running condition. It may just need some further clean-up and reassembly in order to make it run.

I would like to see this go to a good home.

A few caveats:
I do not know if it was in running condition at the time I found it in a covered shed, but it had good compression,
and was covered with years of grime and oil, so not rusted, and was reputed to be running 3 years previously.
The engine is complete, including electric starter and hand crank.
In order to move it through the forest and onto a small riveted aluminium skiff, I had to partially disassemble it. It's a heavy little bugger, thought it might go right through the bottom of the boat! Thread http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=6903.msg78324#msg78324
The generator, a Newage Stamford 9.4kw transformer rectified unit in good condition, is not included. I am holding on to that for a while, though may consider selling it in the future.

The engine and skid frame is available at no cost for someone willing to pick it up at my location. If you are on Vancouver Island, it is a 2 ferry trip. Might even be worth your while if you are on the B.C. mainland.

PM me if interested,
Cheers,
Hugh

JKSON6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1963 BMW R-27 project

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
Re: Lister SR2 free to good home
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2016, 11:04:14 PM »
I am surprised and dismayed that the only interest in this free Lister was a fellow member from New Jersey.......way too far for it to be economically feasible.
I really don't want this to go for scrap, but my very small shop space means something has to give!
Someone please come and  save this complete engine.....even has electric start and hand crank.

Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

2ringers6

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:27 AM »
I would be interested,  but I'm just as far as him.   Location,  Location,  Location.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2016, 08:40:14 AM »
Hi Hugh,

Don't be despondent, the members here, I am certain, would love to take advantage of your extremely kind offer, me included - Take heart that the guys realize the implications of shipping that lovely piece of kit many miles over land and sea. At the very least, you are not getting nonsensical queries - Why don't you mothball it meantime in a weatherproof crate and store it outdoors? Please don't break it down for scrap, if there were any viable way to get it here I certainly wouldn't hesitate!!

Regds
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2016, 09:53:00 AM »
Hugh,

We would also love to give it a new home... and we have a lot of experience importing engines out of Canada into the United States. Costs are just too high for a single engine, even one offered up for free. Our only real success stories in that regard involve full truckloads and a lot of red tape. I have seen people offer up parts and pieces before and use the Postal Service for shipping. The idea from Ed about placing in outside storage also seems to make sense until you can find someone in Canada who wants to make the investment. Best of luck! Your SR is certainly worth saving, they are becoming somewhat rare these days. I will pass this along to any of my Canadian clients that I can think of.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 09:57:47 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2016, 05:58:27 PM »
@ Ed and Gary......
Thanks for your words of encouragement and keeping this thread in view. Fortunately, nothing happens at great speed here, I am not planning a trip to the scrap yard just yet! Many years ago, I had one of these engines in a boat......reliable as the sunrise. This one needs to be saved.
The outside storage is possible, but we are here in the Pacific North Wet, so unless things are very well greased, rust ensues. It is now all in a dry, if not heated area. I suppose I could set aside some time (time, that commodity in such short supply) to roughly re-assemble it, at least it will  then take up less space.
As mentioned, shipping costs would be high to almost anywhere, personal pick up is the best alternative.
In any case, the offer still stands. Lister SR2, free to good home. You pick up. Summer is on the way and this is a very nice area to visit........could be used as an excuse if necessary.
Thank you all for your interest.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2016, 08:50:08 PM »
Ok, Ok, I'm going to be in Denver on the 22nd of this month, how far are you from there?, Or could I pick it up at Fastnenal or??? I will pay freight, within reason. Hey my wife collects stray cats, surely I can collect stray engines, right? ::) It'll fit right in the barn with the 'roid, the changfoid, the 1922 Fairbanks Morse, the Kohler 3.5 kw, the 1955 John Deere, the 1958 International, the horrible freight....anyway, you get the picture.
Ron.

"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2016, 09:01:18 PM »
@ Ron.........Not too close.....We are 1216 miles from Denver.  On the road, it takes 3 ferry trips to get here from the mainland AFTER you get to Vancouver B.C. You see the problem.........
Unless you are close, or are vacationing in the area.......it really is not worth it. As Gary mentioned, cross border shipping can be a PITA, especially if the customs guys think there is dirt on the consignment. One then has either to pay to get it cleaned or pay to ship it back to the point of origin.......ask me how I know!
It really is a local pick up kind of thing.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2016, 04:17:24 PM »
Oh boy! Man, is my ignorance showing. It didn't percolate through my thick head you were in BC. Duh!! That would be 2449 miles from the old Tar Paper shack where I hang
my hat. Unfortunately  I don't have either a passport or the time to drive the extra 2400 miles on my little trip. Sucks too, since I'll be driving an empty pickup from Denver back home. Thanks a bunch anyway, I have to leave in a few hours, and a friend that's moving just called to give me a set of oxygen and acetylene tanks. Score!
Thanks again, Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2016, 02:15:35 AM »
I'm in Ontario, and would love to have it!!Would you ship it? I'd pay for shipping and your time to pack it up.Interested? Drop me a pm.
Cheers
Brian

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2016, 10:32:05 PM »
Hello Quinnbrian
Thanks for your interest in this engine. I have had a few other similar requests, so will answer them on this thread rather than individual PMs.
Re this nice SR2......One of the reasons I would like to give it away is that I am out of room in my small workshop and way behind in projects with more priority.
Another reason is that I really have no need for the engine and no time to re-assemble or rebuild it.  The Listeroid and Dursley 6/1s that we have are sufficient for our power needs.
The lack of time precludes packing the bits, palletizing it all and getting it to a freight depot. I am on an island that is accessible by ferry (actually 2 ferries) from Vancouver island, and as much as I am able to do at this time is to make it available to someone who can come and pick it up.
I have had generous offers of payment to get it packaged and shipped, The reality is that the cost of my doing that would turn "free" into an expensive proposition.
I will reiterate: the engine is complete, partially disassembled, not rusted or seized and available for pick-up to someone who may be interested in resurrecting it.
Thank you all for your interest, We are hoping this thread will be read by someone who is close enough and interested enough to take it out of my hands.
Kind regards to all
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2016, 03:37:48 AM »
@Quinnbrian
PM'd you re: SR2
1963 BMW R-27 project

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2016, 10:58:59 PM »

This SR2 is still looking for a new home. I have loosely re-assembled the engine, so it is not a bunch of separate parts, and is now easier to transport.
There is a gasket set and new set of rings from DEV Engineering  that I would like to sell to whomever wants them.
PM me if interested.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2016, 01:01:38 AM »

Finally, a happy continuation of the life of this rescued SR2. It is on its way to a new home in Ontario.
One of our forum members who has a couple of other SR2s has taken it off my hands and will bring it back to life as a working engine.
Cheers,
Hugh
1963 BMW R-27 project

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2016, 02:52:13 AM »
Bravo, Hugh, glad you found a good home for her!