Author Topic: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures  (Read 31383 times)

Jake65mm

• View Profile
Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures
« on: December 16, 2015, 01:43:16 AM »
So im sure most of you heard the story of the new in crate lister's that went on the auction block a few months back. I consider myself extremely fortunate to be in a position to be able to bid on one of the 12/2's and win.  It was a large investment but I have been looking for the perfect show engine for many years and I figured that was the perfect candidate with a once in a lifetime story to go with it. So I wanted to share with the lister community the pictures I took during the uncrating process. I will be slowly posting more as they upload.

Proud papa in this picture
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 01:57:00 AM by Jake65mm »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister 12/2 uncrating pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2015, 03:45:31 AM »
Truly a thing of beauty! A piece of history that is worth preserving.   ;)

I have been consumed with the Lister Petter closing and plant re-location or would have probably made time for uncrating and setting up a couple of ours here by now. We are buried in the modern Alphas at the moment.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2015, 04:37:03 AM »
Drop dead gorgeous!  I am so jealous!  ;D

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2015, 01:46:05 PM »
The question of the day might be...

"How much $$$ would you be willing to pony up if you could purchase a true replica (perhaps as parts) of one of these Dursleys - recast from an untouched original sample and closely monitored for top quality control?"

It is not beyond reason to approach the foundries already making the clones and have them prepare new molds and perhaps upgrade some tooling and manufacturing methodology to produce a high-quality product. I would guess that we would need a base of about 500 copies and $100,000 investment to get the thing properly engineered and underway.

dieselgman

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2015, 04:25:19 PM »

"How much $$$ would you be willing to pony up if you could purchase a true replica (perhaps as parts) of one of these Dursleys - recast from an untouched original sample and closely monitored for top quality control?"

It is not beyond reason to approach the foundries already making the clones and have them prepare new molds and perhaps upgrade some tooling and manufacturing methodology to produce a high-quality product. I would guess that we would need a base of about 500 copies and $100,000 investment to get the thing properly engineered and underway.

dieselgman

That would be amazing but do you think you could rally enough people up to have the funds available for such a thing? I've never personally dealt with the company's that manufacture the clones and spares so I didn't know something like that was even possible.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2015, 07:09:03 PM »
I would think that with around 25 orders this could be acted on. Individual castings can be done as a gradual step-by-step approach and we know how to get that done. There are foundries at the ready for anything we can imagine if the funds and original examples are made available to them.

dieselgman

listerboat

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2015, 07:10:09 PM »
What a thing of beauty! Great find!

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2015, 10:49:27 PM »
I would like to be involved in this.
I would think that with around 25 orders this could be acted on. Individual castings can be done as a gradual step-by-step approach and we know how to get that done. There are foundries at the ready for anything we can imagine if the funds and original examples are made available to them.

dieselgman

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2015, 03:08:13 AM »

"How much $$$ would you be willing to pony up if you could purchase a true replica (perhaps as parts) of one of these Dursleys - recast from an untouched original sample and closely monitored for top quality control?"....
dieselgman   

Would this be a 6/1, 8/1 or a twin ?  I'd be very interested in a "updated" style with better lube in the areas that lack, and a spin on filter. 

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2015, 03:40:18 AM »
I would think the 8/1 would be a good first project along these lines because it would have the widest appeal and probable demand as a genset build.

You probably know by now that my own preference would be getting the pure original specs and engineering details met first... modifications or updates as potential additions - secondary.

dieselgman

broncodriver99

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2015, 07:23:33 AM »
Being as all new molds would need to be made, why not pursue USA manufacturing? Sure it would be more expensive, but also leaps and bounds higher quality. If it is to be a kit engine I imagine most US foundries could get it closer to spec and save the shipping. I personally would much rather spend my dollar that way.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2015, 07:41:51 PM »
....US foundries ...

The EPA still allows US foundries to melt metal ?  All that carbon footprint !! ;D

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2015, 11:16:24 PM »
My experience with US foundries is simply that they have closed doors, could not compete in today's global marketplace.

Question, who is still in operation here?

dieselgman

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2015, 12:54:57 AM »
U.S. foundries to manufacture castings? I don't know of any though here in Canada, I would bet the Lunenburg Foundry could do it.
I worked there as charge hand carpenter in the late 1980's when they made the Atlantic make-and-break engines as custom orders.......maybe they still do!

Here's a link to the foundry site  http://www.lunenburgfoundry.com/    and here is a youtube link showing  an 8Hp twin  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mg8W6gYTXR4

When I worked there there was a blind machinist (yes, blind) who did all the machine work on the Atlantic castings, then assemble the engines. He could tell a drill size by feel and read a micrometer with his fingers. The pattern storage area up in the attic of this place was incredible, they never threw anything away.

The actual foundry was a throwback to the turn of the century (1900) operation. Not much different from the Rajkot operations we see today, but the foundrymen wore boots and leather aprons. After a pour, the foundry floor was like a vision of walking through hell......dark and smoking with glowing molten metal. I was privileged to be present at several pours, wish I had filmed it.......an amazing and dangerous process in which each man has his particular part to play. When the clay plug was smashed and the iron began to flow, there was a careful rhythm to the pours. After one run through with all the ladles being carried to and emptied into the molds, the stopper would jam another clay plug into the retort outlet, everyone drank a dipper of water from a barrel. Then line reformed, the plug was smashed and the pour continued.......what a show!

This is a family run business and has been for more than 100 years. It would be surprising if they could not make good castings to replicate a Lister.
Can they do it in a financially viable way?  You'd have to ask.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2015, 03:31:53 AM »
Emails sent to them... will report back.

dieselgman