Author Topic: Accidents involving Listeroids?  (Read 56396 times)

Julian

• View Profile
Re: Accidents involving Listeroids?
« Reply #30 on: July 13, 2006, 08:06:31 PM »
.. the modern kid is raised in a protected world with rubberrized playground equipment has no idea a moving object can cause harm... and that some things are hot and will burn you...

True story:

Last year I was attending a local rally with my 1919 Aveling and Porter steam roller. I had opened the fire hole door and was giving the fire a good stirring to knock out the ash and crap before throwing more coal on. One young lad had watched the entire process from start to finish and watched  me stir the red hot fire for at least a minute. Afterwards I hung the shovel back up on the side of the engine and he proceeded to put his hand firmly on the end of it. You can guess the rest! What are parents and school teachers up to these days?

Julian.

Stan

« Reply #31 on: July 14, 2006, 03:40:26 AM »
Parents are busy trashing and taking teachers to court for saying the wrong word, looking at their kid with the wrong expression on their face etc. etc.   Teachers are busy defending themselves in court.  Nobody is getting educated worth a damn.
Me, I retired early with a modicum of health.
Stan

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 14, 2006, 12:30:01 PM »
Oh, come on guys.  Do we have to send yet another thread spiraling off topic and down the crapper ??

Why don't you start your own thread in the off-topic forum about what a bunch of dumb asses "today's kids" are.  Then the rest of us, presumable more interested in tinkering at old engines, than bithcing about "today's kids", won't have to read that shit.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #33 on: July 14, 2006, 12:51:09 PM »
That's the trouble with kids today, always whining about things being off topic because they don't have the mental faculties that we had, when I was a kid at family gatherings there would be half a dozen simultaneous conversations firing across a room full of relatives, and you were expected to follow and participate in all of them in the minutest detail....

kids today with their multi forum message boards and threads, don't know they're born, we used to have it tough, which reminds me, back when I were a lad.....

etc

::)
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

fattywagonman

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 14, 2006, 03:18:39 PM »
Well the title of the thread is accidents... And I think accidents are more likely to occour when folks are unaware of the dangers.. yes part of the problem is kids because there is always the possibility of kids getting injured.. .. but IMO the real problem is the adults who raised the kids... like it or not we live in a world where almost everything can be made to be somone elses fault... and this is what's been taught to most kids...  over speed your listeroid and shatter the flywheels and it's the sellers fault for ????   If someone sticks his foot in the spoke of a spinning flywheel or knocks some teeth out with the crank someone likely getting sued..  I propose we should have guards covering those dangerous spinning objects.. fellow lister owners should report offenders (those unwilling to make and install guards) to OSHA or the appropriate governing body... Let's get the EPA involved to check out the emissions too...  repeat offenders and (those unwilling to construct the guards or reduce emissions) should have their engines confiscated.. we don't need folks making their own power anyhow.. making power is dangerous stuff and should only be done by a provider approved by the government...why this is a danger to society right up there with terrorism.. something needs to be done..

fuddyduddy

« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2006, 03:33:26 PM »
Thank you, thank you.

Was driving by  a house that was a bit scruffy yesterday (in my electric car), and heard a funny sound. Stopped and backed up, and could clearly hear; putta, putta, putta, putta. Knew immediately it was a slow-speed engine, probably making illegal, untaxed  electricity.

Think I will call the engine policeand turn them in when I'm done typing this. Have been thinking of making up some armbands for the grandkids so they can also help monitor illegal engines, fuels, dangerous machinery, and so on.

How does "YSA" (Youth for a Safer America) sound?

Fuddy Duddy

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2006, 03:43:49 PM »
FD and FW:

guys don't laugh or kid about this stuff, before you know it there will be those that report this stuff.

for example in kansas where i purchased some property to build my place on, they have so much zoning, and approval crap to go through
that it would make you sick, and only one guy to oversee it all.

there way to take care of the lack of man power is to make it so that others have to report non compliance  or unpermitted work, such as the mail man
if he see's a concrete truck pulling into you place he is to report it, county road crews are to be on the look out for non compliant work or building of all sorts
not just road work but anything else.

contractors can be fined for doing non permitted jobs,  etc etc.

this all in a county that has lost significant population over the last 10-20 years.

won't be long and they will inlist the girl scouts to take pictures of your place when they knock on your door to sell cookies.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2006, 04:35:04 PM »
About 1970 the utilities department sent a letter to everybody that visited houses in their line of work, including the Sherrif's Office.  They wanted to know who had installed outside lights other than those approved in their yard.  The Sherrif told them to go straight to hell and wrote a letter to the editor, that was published,  advising people to ignore the idiots at the power department.   If they want to enforce some silly rule they should hire people to do it for them.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Tugger

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2006, 09:15:02 PM »
 Accidents involving Listeroids?

Having to travel a long distance to buy my engine, i decided to make it a two day trip and take my girlfriend along to keep me company...

The first night in the hotel, the condom broke...now i have to wait a month too see if it was a serious accident involving a lister or not...

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2006, 09:19:33 PM »
So are you saying you use your Lister to get women??  You mean it really does work????
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2006, 10:57:26 PM »
i had no idea they could be that dangerous!!!

wow

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2006, 11:04:11 PM »
Hey they really are chick magnets!!! ;)
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

rgroves

• View Profile
    • Flint Hills Diesel
« Reply #42 on: July 15, 2006, 12:50:49 AM »
So there's a major difference between a Listeroid and a condom - the Listeroid performs BETTER with a big load.

Russell
A country boy can survive - Hank Williams Jr.

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 15, 2006, 01:32:33 AM »
Way back up I mentioned a crank that got stuck on the shaft end and spun crazily as the engine coasted to a stop, I will expound.
I have cranked this big Lister several hundred times and it has run very happily for quite some time now. 

I forget exactly what the size is since I have slept since then but it is 13-16 Hp at 1000 RPM there abouts.  It was to go into the tug boat to drive a Quincy 325 air compressor for starting air and to drive a 200 amp 12 volt alt. for charging batteries.  Everything is bolted to a massive weldment which is bolted to the frames of the boat, so hopping around isn't an option.  All this is so that we don't have to run a 2-71 fuel to noise converter to make 3 phase 240 for the other air compressor and to charge the batteries.  The Lister running at 475 RPM sounds sooo nice right beside that Atlas turning at 290.  At any rate, I retarded the injection a little to make the thing a little less 'snappy' and a little easier to start and all is well; even cranks nicely at 20 degrees in the winter.

My starting crank craziness happened as I went to remove the crank at the instant of starting and pulled it off the end of the shaft.  For a very brief instant there is a point of very unfavorable Length/Diameter of engagement that can allow the slightest cocking to lock the crank tight on the shaft, much like the old VW Beetle jacks.  At any rate, now two hands make it a simple job.  Keep holding tight with the right hand and grab the crank near the hub with the left and slide it off.  No scary, shaky, whirly things since starting to do it that way.

dkwflight

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 15, 2006, 01:49:17 AM »
Yes I got wacked in the shin with the crank! 
Start sequence is
check oil and water look at belt etc then

step 1.   Oil The shaft stub
2 then crank
Dennis ;D
28/2 powersolutions JKSon -20k gen head
Still in devlopment for 24/7 operation, 77 hours running time