Author Topic: Accidents involving Listeroids?  (Read 56465 times)

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
Accidents involving Listeroids?
« on: July 12, 2006, 02:03:06 AM »
As anyone heard of any serious accident involving Listeroids?
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

fuddyduddy

Re: Accidents involving Listeroids?
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 02:26:46 AM »
RUMOR has it that George at utterpower heard that one of the oversize "Lister-like" 16/1 singles in Australia blew a flywheel, and it was not pretty.

Someone could ask him.

As a card-carrying Lord of Listers, if we hear of ten things, George hears of one thousand from all over the world. No sh**.

And if someone doubts George's credentials, look at the Google results for this forum. Less than 120. Then look at his utterpower site, around 2,500.
FuddyDuddy

Fred

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 03:05:20 AM »
If you dont believe flywheels can explode just do a google search for flywheel explosion, lots of reading and videos. pictures of exploded flywheels on old engines can be found at www.utterpower.com  - the premier listeroid website.
 Fred in N IL. I'm a newbie and this is my first post and yes I do own several listeroids.

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:20 AM »
Great question.  One thing I have thought about is a starting accident, where the engine fires just before TDC, and pushes the starting handle backwards, into the user's palms doing some damage to the hands.

sid

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 03:47:38 AM »
a diesel properly timed will not kick back. it will push back if you do not get it thru the compression stroke/ a gas engine is another story. I think mike had a very good post about that severl months ago..of couse anything is possible..the worse accident that i know about was a foot almost severed when a gas engine( not a lister) was belted off with another engine trying to start one and the belt came off/ one of our safety rule is never belt an engine off..sid
15 hp fairbanks morris1932/1923 meadows mill
8 hp stover 1923
8 hp lg lister
1932 c.s bell hammer mill
4 hp witte 1917
5 hp des jardin 1926
3 hp mini petters
2hp hercules 1924
1 1/2 briggs.etc

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 04:09:57 AM »
I have had the starting handle jam on the shaft when trying to remove it after starting; not a happy fun thing.  And it takes FOREVER for the engine to spool down after the fuel rack is shut off while waiting for the handle to suddenly dislodge and take of in a direction solely of it's own choosing.

fuddyduddy

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 04:42:42 AM »
Hello GIII,
Here is what the free info at utterpower says about that:

CRANK HANDLE

Listers start easy and with little problem

But, if you are new to this engine it can be intimidating at first, try the following to build your confidence. Place your crank handle on the crank shaft, study the detent, spring, and keeper. Take it apart and clean, de-burr, and lube all pieces. Place the handle back on the crank and note the inward side. This face should be smooth and free of any casting marks. If it's not flat and smooth dress it on a grinder and make it that way. This will prevent the handle from hanging up on the gib key and whipping around after a start, .....sure you'd have to be drinking to push the handle that far inward, but it could be someone else that does it.  Another note, don't let go of the handle after the engine starts unless there's some sort of resistance to your effort. Hold on to it and walk it off the crank, and start this process as soon as it fires.  You must clean the inside of the ring and apply some graphite, rub it into the metal with a paper towel, this will make it slick and build your confidence that it's not going to bind or stick when you're walking it off the crank. Also, remove that paint off the starting side of the crank shaft and apply some more graphite. Once you've started a Lister 5 or six times, all your worries leave, but remember the importantance of keeping the surfaces clean, and well lubed. It's an easy engine to start. but you don't do it with loose fitting clothing, or without a common sense approach.

The start handle is not designed to be fool proof, and the fit and finish of start handles I've seen puts them in the 'KIT' class. That is, you have all the parts necessary to build a proper start handle, but you need to take time to smooth down the critical dimensions and remove the ragged edges. As a final warning... I am surrounded by people who should NEVER start a Lister. They should never be allowed near a running open flywheel engine. Fact is,  these are the same individuals that should never set foot on your property, because they have been raised victims and believe that they have no personal responsibility for their own safety, it is the rest of the world that is responsible for their welfare. 

Says it all, IMHO.
Fuddy Duddy

fuddyduddy

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 05:35:02 AM »
And you own an Atlas.

I am purple with envy.

Nothing more to be said, my three cylinder Nordberg is a pup compared to the Atlas!
Fuddy Duddy

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 05:09:50 PM »
I was just re-reading a good book the other day entitled Salmon on my Mind by Francis Caldwell

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/157785473X/sr=8-1/qid=1152719693/ref=sr_1_1/104-0244292-0799969?ie=UTF8

It's a compilation of a number of stories the author tells of his days trolling for salmon in Southeast Alaska during the post-WWII years when many trollers were powered by Frisco Standards and Hicks one-lung petrol engines.  One story particularly caught my fancy.  A salmon seiner that he was working on briefly was powered by a 3-cylinder Atlas which, he said, made a "ker-chug, ker-chug, ker-chug" sound, although an article in National Fisherman says it made a "chug-adee-chug" sound.  Take yer pick.  Delightful, either way.  They were cruising along and suddenly the engine began making a different sound.  Skipper immediately shut down and did a quick check and announced that the camshaft had broken, but he had a spare on board (!).  Unperturbed, he donned his greasy overalls and an hour later the repair was complete.  Skipper hit the air-start (!) and the engine chugged to life.  They continued on as if it was no big deal. 

That impressed me.  Who would ever think of carrying a spare camshaft for a big heavy marine engine?  And how the heck could you replace one so quickly in a hot engine at sea? 
http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/atlas/

Halfnuts
« Last Edit: July 12, 2006, 05:56:43 PM by Halfnuts »

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 06:32:02 PM »
That impressed me.  Who would ever think of carrying a spare camshaft for a big heavy marine engine?  And how the heck could you replace one so quickly in a hot engine at sea? 
http://www.oldengine.org/members/levans/atlas/

Halfnuts

Someone who has been eyeballing that engine and did not like the looks of the cam. :)

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 08:20:55 PM »
Well, yeah.  I mean other than that.   ;)

Halfnuts

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 09:10:47 PM »
 I did a dummy just the other day.  I'd checked the Hz and found the engine just a little 'hot' so I bent down to tweak the governor button and heard a loud SNAP and my vision blurred a little, but I didn't feel myself jerked around any...my dog whistle on a leather thong had swung into a flywheel spoke and broken the thong QUICKLY, thank goodness!!

I found it, finally!

NEVER MOUNT AN ENGINE IN A CLOSET!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 09:45:06 PM »
SNIP
NEVER MOUNT AN ENGINE IN A CLOSET!

Well with the liberialization of the Western world your engine should be able to come out of the closet soon :)

BTW glad you are safe, guess it is not your time
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 10:41:20 PM »
It shows to go you why you shouldn't EVER wear anything loose around moving equipment.  My dad used to teach woodshop.  A student with a shirt-tail hanging out was sanding a board on the bench with a 4" x 24" Rockwell belt sander.  The sander grabbed his shirttail and sanded most of the skin off his belly by the time he realized it.  I suppose that's why they don't teach industrial arts in our area any more.

Around work here we're supposed to wear security cards hung on nylon lanyards around our necks.  Even with machine guards and such there's no way will they ever get me to do that!

Halfnuts

Jim Mc

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 10:55:28 PM »
a diesel properly timed will not kick back.

I've not heard of it happening, but fuel delivery does start before TDC on a Diesel, so it seems like a possibility to me.