Puppeteer

Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 289508 times)

Thob

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #540 on: May 17, 2017, 01:46:18 AM »
"How to run a lathe" by South Bend lathes comes recommended:

http://vintagemachinery.org/pubs/1617/5795.pdf

Witte 98RC Gas burner - Kubota D600 w/ST7.5KW head.
I'm not afraid to take anything apart.
I am sometimes afraid I'm not going to get it back together.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #541 on: May 17, 2017, 07:54:29 AM »

I'd probably have to find a course to learn about metal lathes which wouldn't be easy because they are all trade courses here or I'd have to figure out some other way. Maybe one of the new Neighbors is an old Fitter and turner or something and will show me the ropes?
Brother in law has the machinery now but he would make a very poor teacher and one of us would not walk out of the shed under our own steam if I got him to show me anything.

Maybe I should just go out and buy a lathe and set up a computer right beside it so I can watch Youtube and follow along as it plays.  :0)

Do it. Just do it! You'll never ever regret it. If you can, buy an old lathe, either an English or American one if you can (or domestic, I presume there were toolmakers in Aus, to my shame I don't know the names of any). Check out lathes.co.uk for info on any old make. Worst case scenario, yes, buy a Chinese import, just be aware that you may have to do some "fettling" in order to get decent accuracy and longevity out of it. Always buy bigger (WAY bigger) than you think you might need... as someone once said, you can turn small things on a big lathe, but you can't turn big things on small lathe...

I taught myself how to use a lathe, with some help from Youtube, the madmodder's forum (http://madmodder.net), and a bunch of videos a guy on this forum sent to me, I'll try to dig out the name (and next week, I'll try to find the actual videos), they taught me a shitload of useful stuff.

Lathes are dangerous, of that there is no doubt. I nearly did myself a serious injury on mine when I forgot to take a parallel out of the chuck - when I started the spindle up it fired itself out at high velocity - backwards, fortunately, had it come out of the front I'd have probably caught it with my face... it could easily have killed me. I've never made THAT mistake again.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #542 on: May 17, 2017, 08:15:34 AM »
Aha! Here they are: http://www.agivideos.com/preview/?id=2

I'll see if I can't dig out my copies, I have the lathe & mill videos, they were absolutely excellent. In fact, when I bought by Bridgeport, as a result of those videos, I felt like I already knew the machine intimately. Had the damn thing 8 years now.... time flies...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #543 on: May 19, 2017, 06:11:59 AM »

@Glort - Looks like I can wind this thing to just under 1.2MW output - Around 2 L per minute - Scary!!!!

I am going to run the molten metal into a half drum of water I have put a nozzle in to make it swirl. Hopefully this should stop the ally going straight to the bottom before it's cooled properly and clumping together.

I think you need an air drop tower, to let the molten metal have enough time to coalesce into  spheres (via surface tension) before they hit the water, or the water will give you misshapen globs

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #544 on: May 19, 2017, 06:21:45 AM »
Ask for me to post the Fatal Lathe Mistake pics.  Large lathe, overalls, machine did not stop till a co-worker shut it down.  Torso and 1 arm left, rest was hamburger.

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #545 on: May 19, 2017, 07:59:12 AM »
Ask for me to post the Fatal Lathe Mistake pics.  Large lathe, overalls, machine did not stop till a co-worker shut it down.  Torso and 1 arm left, rest was hamburger.

Yes, I've seen that picture too. Very sobering... lathes - machine tools in general, in fact, but especially lathes - take no prisoners.

Please don't put that picture up here, though, by all means link to it, it's definitely not for the squeamish or faint-hearted.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #546 on: May 19, 2017, 08:23:25 AM »
Hey Guys...

Back in the days of lineshafts, there were only a few fatal's that happened (relatively speaking)... It seems the more warnings and guards we install on things, the more accidents happen.... Possibly, back in the day, the Darwin Awards sorted out the stupid/ignorant/foolish early in their lives.....Now they are being allowed to breed and as such .... Well, enough said .... I gotta go and trim my fingernails on that thar hangle grindee masheen....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #547 on: May 19, 2017, 09:28:06 AM »
Hey Guys...

Back in the days of lineshafts, there were only a few fatal's that happened (relatively speaking)... It seems the more warnings and guards we install on things, the more accidents happen.... Possibly, back in the day, the Darwin Awards sorted out the stupid/ignorant/foolish early in their lives.....Now they are being allowed to breed and as such .... Well, enough said .... I gotta go and trim my fingernails on that thar hangle grindee masheen....

Cheers
Ed

Yeah, but I have been a timber industry person on and off since (counts on fingers . . .) about 1974 and, in the old days, several of my foremen had only one hand.  The Darwin effect is great for taking the slow and the weak and the stupid out of the gene pool . . .but a lot of the ones it just maims still seem to manage to breed?

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #548 on: May 19, 2017, 09:33:27 AM »
It seems the more warnings and guards we install on things, the more accidents happen....

I fitted some guards around my Bridgeport milling machine (mainly to keep the coolant somewhere near the machine, rather than sprayed all over the place, but I figured a bit of extra safety couldn't go amiss too). Hah! I've injured myself more bumping into the guards than I ever did using the machine! Damn things live on a shelf somewhere now...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #549 on: May 19, 2017, 09:42:16 AM »
@Mike - How's the saying go... "Empty Barrels make the most noise...." and, usually, the empty barrels who shout the odds loudest, regardless of how nonsensical they are, seem to get promoted first.... Strange, isnt it? Kinda wish Darwinism relied more on output audio volume than deed.....

@Ade - Yeah Ade... Did the same thing on my Elliot mill too, it has a nasty habit of tossing graphite grease out of the 90 degree head or slotting/broaching Head to land directly dead center on the only piece of white clothing you are wearing... I am sure there is a "Grease Demon" somewhere on Norse Mythology we haven't discovered yet ... I think my guards were recycled as scrap eventually too.... Snap!!

Lol
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

mikenash

• View Profile
« Reply #550 on: May 19, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »
It seems the more warnings and guards we install on things, the more accidents happen....

I fitted some guards around my Bridgeport milling machine (mainly to keep the coolant somewhere near the machine, rather than sprayed all over the place, but I figured a bit of extra safety couldn't go amiss too). Hah! I've injured myself more bumping into the guards than I ever did using the machine! Damn things live on a shelf somewhere now...

I guess really the difference might be between us as responsible(ish) adults taking responsibility for our own actions as against employers having to make safety decisions on behalf of a (very mixed bag of) others?

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 19, 2017, 10:09:40 AM »
@Ade - Come to think of it.... I've never had the "Lemming Instinct" to shove my hands knowingly into rapidly oscillating or revolving items... I know plenty of people that need instructions printed on their toothbrushes though, blenders, routers and this group of beings would make a spectacular cocktail.... Goes to show, good luck is not selective or limited, otherwise this group of the population would not make it to breeding age... Reminds me of an instruction in a booklet for a well known brand of chainsaw...."Do not stop moving chain with genitals..."

Cheers
Ed

PS - I did print a bumper sticker for a mate of mine after he almost had a serious one while "playing" with his chainsaw.... Was while setting the carb, had it balanced on a drum or stump or something, running at a very fast idle... Let go of it and stepped past forward of it to retrieve a screwdriver or something and it toppled/vibrated off, hit the ground bar first, causing it to jump forward into his calf.... The bumper sticker that I covertly put on his LDV said "A Chainsaw is NOT a Sex Toy - Don't F@#$ with it!!"
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 10:23:27 AM by EdDee »

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 19, 2017, 11:10:05 AM »

I guess really the difference might be between us as responsible(ish) adults taking responsibility for our own actions as against employers having to make safety decisions on behalf of a (very mixed bag of) others?

ISTM that most people have their heads fairly well screwed on - but there's always some muppet out there who doesn't. There was a story in a newspaper here recently, an employer being sued because one of their employees was using emery cloth on a machine, it got wrapped up and took a couple of his fingers off. The employee wasn't doing what he was supposed to be doing, nor what he'd been trained to do... but the employer lost the case anyway, because they hadn't explicitly told the employee NOT to do what he was doing (!). This despite the judge noting that the company had an otherwise clean bill of health.

Ed - I've got a saying for you re promotions: You're always promoted to your first level of incompetence... (this is especially true in the public sector). Think about it, if you're damned good at your job, eventually you get promoted out of it & into another job. As soon as you're in one you don't do so well at.... no more promotions...

Also, yes, I think most of us have the wherewithall not to stick our hands into moving machinery, although we've all done stupid things before. Just before I came out here to China I was grinding some old knackered bolts off with a grinder, getting the angle was quite difficult and the cutter had a tendancy to dig in & spit itself out. Did I heed the warnings? No... so when the disk exploded gouging one of my knuckles near to the bone, I had only myself to blame. Still, I was wearing safety goggles, so what could possibly have gone wrong?
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 19, 2017, 01:04:45 PM »
The silliest "over the top" H&S story that happened to me is tame by comparison - one of our clients has a TV screen mounted about 8ft up a wall. Behind it is a mini-PC device, about the size of a paperback book. I need to re-set this, but to reach it I need to go up a ladder. Now... when I say "up a ladder", what I mean is up 3-4 steps of one of those fold-out stepladders.

Oh, no, can't let you do that, unless you've got:
 - A valid "working at height" certificate (basically a piece of paper telling them I know how a ladder works!!
 - Hard hat
 - Hi-viz jacket
 - Steel toe-caps
 - A couple of hi-viz cones to prevent others from entering the "work area".

FFS. I'm a computer programmer. I haven't got any of that shit. I tell them if they can hang on a bit, I've got an orange flashing light (the type you stick on a van roof with a magnet), I can strap it to my head if that helps. And there's loads of traffic cones out on the motorway, I'll nick a couple of them... They were not amused. I told them if I could stand on a chair instead... they politely suggested I leave site & they'd sort it. Oh well, gave me time to have a nice cup of coffee on the way home...

Any H&S type would have had kittens if they'd seen me a few weeks back, 20ft up a rickety wooden ladder taking a security camera off my old workshop. It scared the bejeezus out of me too, the ladder is only about a foot wide, wooden sides & rungs with rusty steel supports (which, thanks to the rust, are probably weaker than the rungs), it wobbles all over the place. Got the job done though, and I hardly died at all. Scariest time was a few years back, I had to re-route a 440v cable from one end of a warehouse to the other (it went up in the middle, and turned left... I needed it to turn right). Same rickety wooden ladder, only this time it had its equally rickety extension piece attached as well, 30ft above some very pointy looking things on the floor, that could have been very nasty if I'd fallen off.

Dunno about you, though, I find that if the danger level is high enough, I take WAAAY more care and pay lots more attention to what I'm doing, than if it's "easy peasy".

IMHO - H&S, or OH&S or OSHA or whatever your regional brand is called, is basically attempting to legislate for common sense, then enforcing it with zealots who have no common sense themselves... I was watching one of the "Making of Dr Who" episodes a while back, so imagine a large cast & crew all wandering about the site location (a school yard IIRC), 2 people wearing hard-hats and hi-viz... yep, the H&S reps. They were also the ones fretting about making the monsters "too scary". FFS. It's Dr Who. The kids are supposed to be crying behind the sofa!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 19, 2017, 04:51:53 PM »
Reminds me of a couple of years ago....and I have pictures to prove (most of) it....

We were donated a pile of 13m long poles to use at my paintball range for putting up spotlights for night games (Bad idea BTW, they lasted about a month before they were stolen, cables and all....just the wooden poles remained...the second lost didn't even see a month before they walked too....But I digress...)

Anyways, the time comes after augering and sinking them in about 1m deep into hard clay/shale to string the lights and cables up... No problem, I grab my climbing spikes and shimmy up to the top of the first couple of poles no problem... Then the wind picks up quite badly, gusting about 60km/h or so, and here I am with about 6 poles left to do.... No problem, keep going, only problem is that the damn wind keeps blowing my hammer and tools out of my work vest that I am wearing.... Stuffit, enough is enough, after catching the hammer for the umpteenth time as it tries to go into orbit, I get down and take a look around.... Everybody on the ground is green/white/just about puking - Apparently the top of the pole I was residing at was swaying about 2m each way with every gust - It didn't worry me a bit... But poor old Baz, a mate of mine, who will take on anything except a syringe needle, a spider or a climb above 3ft  was in a really bad way....he was almost comatose from stress after seeing what I was doing....

My reasoning? A climb up to about 3m is dangerous....Fall and you get badly injured or maimed.....Above that - You're dead... Someone else's problem!!

But seriously though, I have done the odd bit of comms cabling on the outside of some pretty tall buildings, antenna tower and high site work and its strange - That doesn't worry me in the least... But stand on a 2m high ladder perched on a slippery floor to change a light bulb... That scares the cr@p outta me!!

Cheers
Ed