Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 291012 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #345 on: April 15, 2016, 08:34:13 AM »
Hey Glort...

You know me too well!! ... I have lifted way in excess of TM2 before, but as you say, any excuse is a good one...!

The "real" reason I am running behind is that I need to get the roof on the next 80 sq m of workshop... Weather is dodgy over summer over here and outdoors work isn't pleasant because of the heat/wind/rain... Not as bad as our friends in the snowy places, I know, but unpleasant nevertheless... Winter over here is normally the time I take on the outdoors projects, its cooler, less wind, and hardly any rain. (And a further small reason is the lack of space to move around with TM2 while he is on the gallows... I am none too keen on getting close to large lumps of steel in possession of large amounts of potential energy...I have an allergy to wearing cast iron as permanent implants!!)

Yesterday evening we cleaned up 50m of lip channel with cup brush then enamel painted it. Tonight and over the next day or so I have another 170m to clean up and paint, some more for the roofing and the rest to be put one side for future projects... I managed to get a fair deal on a heap of channel yesterday, damaged stock with some minor water damage. The deal was "All or Nothing" so I now have a bit extra... Always handy for various things. To prevent it going bad, we are enameling the whole lot while we are at it....

Enough said....

Keep it spinning...

Cheers
Ed

PS ... On another note, TM1 has run through about 150l of relatively pure diesel and is back on the sump gunk again... Stop and start on it too... What I did notice was that he was initially a slow, smokey starter before warmed up when I went on to diesel - this has cleaned up considerably now and he starts quite easy. Bear in mind, after rings etc were changed, he went onto sump gunk almost immediately. I wonder if the added lubricity of this fuel lent itself to a slower than normal bedding in of the rings. As of the last couple of tanks of gunk, there has been less blowby evident and a lower than normal build up of carbon, compared to just before the diesel run. Every evening of late, around about an hour or so into the run, there is a bit of carbon that builds up on the innards(injector tip probably) - power drops off, he starts smoking and labouring a bit, not quite making target power. A quick heavy flush with a dose of aqua, and he is up and running, "full steam ahead" literally, for the rest of the cogen evening run without any further issues... These green things certainly have a "personality" !
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 09:47:18 AM by EdDee »
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #346 on: April 19, 2016, 10:47:51 AM »
Hey Guys,

In the essence of "Push it till it breaks, then back off a bit" I have run TM1 on a low WI input on sump gunk until he is thoroughly clogged up.

As mentioned previously, about an hour into the run, I flushed him with good bit of water to clean up the deposited carbon from the initial warmup. Well, my inquiring and somewhat destructive mind got me to run him without a flush and just minimal attention for the last few days... Four, to be exact, to see how long it would take for the carbon to become a serious problem.

This is what I found:
After Day one - a bit of buildup internally, an hour into the run, instead of flushing, I reduced the load a little and running seemed to improve after about 15mins or so so he went back to full load.

After Day two - A little harder to start, carbon was building up on the valves I think, there was a bit of a "low compression" symptom, only with starting, no major cc breather venting, but passable in power.

After Day three - Still hardish to start, compression was a bit down, a little cc breather activity, but mostly evident was valve leakage.

Day Four - Sluggish start, quite a bit of cc breather activity initially, this calmed down after a few minutes of running. After about 1 1/2 hours of running, there was major cc breather venting, this developed over about 30 to 45 min, not smoke per se' but carried oil droplets were making a mess. There were no other leaks on seals or gaskets, so the improved cc vent valve was doing a reasonable job. The run was abandoned around 2 hours in, even though he was making full power.

I will tear him down and see what the gunk has done. The symptoms are of a broken compression ring or two, or possibly just that the grooves are badly carboned up and jamming the rings....

I will report back once the teardown has been done!

Any bets as to what has happened?

Keep it spinning...

Regds
Ed

PS - We are almost finished with the framing for the new gantry/workshop shed - The roof covers about 80sq m with about 70sq m usable by the gantry, lift height is around 2.4m. The gantry looks like it will develop into a double beam runner with 2 hoist blocks on one beam and a single on the other, spaced around 75-mm apart... The main load rails are 160mm H section x 2 with an additional outboard rail of 160mm I beam close to the door opening of around 9m wide. The roofing frame is made from 125 and 150mm lip channel affixed to the top of the main gantry runners. Quite a bit of work, but well worth it in the end, I reckon..
« Last Edit: April 19, 2016, 11:11:37 AM by EdDee »
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #347 on: April 21, 2016, 03:31:47 PM »
Hi Guys,

In the spirit of misinformation, being in a hurry, not looking or analyzing correctly.... The problem was really simple.... CC breather valve fault... Replaced spring(broken) and all is well... Back onto 100% sump gunk... TM1 is still clogged up quite nicely, compression is a bit down, but he is now running without blowing oil out of the CC vent...

This all comes from just not taking a few minutes in daylight hours, where you can actually see what the problem is! (And of course, jumping to conclusions!!)

All is well ... for now, until of course, I jump headlong into the next bad diagnosis!

It is amazing how coincidental this small failure was... The vent valve failed within a few days of 100% gunk running.... Unrelated, I am sure, but a bit off-peeing...

But seriously though, there is definitely a bit of valve "something" going on, they are not seating quite as they should be after a good few hours on the crud!

Keep it spinning.... (Again!)

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #348 on: April 21, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »
P.S. - Here is the start of materials reclamation and erection of the new "tackle-work" to swing TM2 around while I am building him up.... If I was married, an excuse to build a bigger, better gantry and extend the workshop a tad might have been a problem.... http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/20160419 New Gantry and Roof/ (Sorry about the picture quality, my cell is on its last legs and I don't feel like hauling out the Canon...)

;D One can never have enough cranes, gantries and lifting kit around a household.... Now, just that small lintel to remove and doorway to open a bit and I can install the main household gantry between the kitchen and dining room.....Hmmmmmm.....  ::)
« Last Edit: April 21, 2016, 03:53:27 PM by EdDee »

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #349 on: April 23, 2016, 07:46:56 PM »
Made me curious about South Africa weather .http://www.southafrica.info/travel/advice/climate.htm#.VxvCU8is_v4

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #350 on: April 25, 2016, 07:39:03 AM »
Hi B&D,

By and large, the weather in our area is quite pleasant to say the least. The winters are moderate and the summers are wonderful. We have a bit of wind which makes outside work a bit of chore, but not hurricanes by any scale. The weather does change rapidly, sometimes all 15 seasons in one day, but it is nowhere near the extremes that others in the more hostile climates have to face. Being thoroughly spoilt in this regard, I reckon that when I complain about bad weather, it would be perfect weather by someone else's standards. No shoveling snow, seldom floods, seldom gale force winds... A really bad day is when there is a thunderstorm and I cant use electrical equipment such as hand drills etc outside.... As with all human nature, regardless of the climate, there will always be reason to complain about the weather ::)

Now, its an icy 20C here at the moment.... Let me find a warm patch of morning sun to bask in while I sip my coffee.... Lol

Cheers
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #351 on: April 25, 2016, 12:21:21 PM »
Hey Glort,

" " " " " " (Ditto, Ditto, Ditto....)

Now get off your lazy ass and pull them wheels off your roid!!

I shouldn't throw stones.... I am in my metallic years too... Silver in the hair, gold in the teeth.....and.....lead in the ass.......

Cheerz
E

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #352 on: April 25, 2016, 12:50:27 PM »
Yeah, but what's the skiing like?

Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #353 on: April 25, 2016, 07:20:27 PM »
  There is no normal "weather" here, just long term averages. three wind direction changes  here adjacent to lake Huron are not uncommon and  will cause temperature and humidity to vary.depends too of the lake is open or frozen over. More precipitation but warmer temps when the lake is open during the winter. Winters and summers rather than being typical will vary year to year from being either unusually warm or unusually cool. The intense winds off the lake tends to make even sober people walk with a lean.

http://www.farmzone.com/statistics/temperature/cl6124127/so040
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 08:21:49 PM by buickanddeere »

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #354 on: April 26, 2016, 08:57:37 AM »
Hey Stef...

The skiing is great... A couple of Evinrude 200's and a few largish dams in the area, sunshine, bikini's and barbecue.... AWESOME!  ;D

Cheerz
E

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #355 on: April 26, 2016, 09:01:32 AM »
Hey B&D,

Took a look at the weather link....got as far as seeing 4 months of the year averaging at less than 0C... Quietly backed away...I am not man enough for that weather....

Ed

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #356 on: April 27, 2016, 08:18:18 PM »
Hey B&D,

Took a look at the weather link....got as far as seeing 4 months of the year averaging at less than 0C... Quietly backed away...I am not man enough for that weather....

Ed

We pack the manly bits under lots of thermal insulation.   

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #357 on: April 28, 2016, 08:37:45 AM »
Hey B&D,

In that weather I would definitely nedd the surgical procedure: "Strapadicktome" to maintain my gender....

Lol
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #358 on: May 09, 2016, 10:48:56 AM »
Hey Guys....

Couldn't resist it.... Totally off track, will probs get thrown off the forum, but hey.... Laughter is the best medicine!

<Snip>
A group of Std. 1's, 2's and 3's, accompanied by two female teachers, went on a field trip to the Greyville Racecourse, to learn about thoroughbred race horses and the supporting industry, but mostly to see the horses.

When it was time to take the children to the 'bathroom', it was decided that the girls would go with one teacher and the boys would go with the other. The teacher assigned to the boys was waiting outside the men's toilet when one of the boys came out and told her that none of them could reach the urinal.

Having no choice, she went inside, helped the little boys with their pants, and began hoisting them up one by one, holding on to their 'wee-wees' to direct the flow away from their clothes.

As she lifted one, she couldn't help but notice that he was unusually well endowed. Trying not to show that she was staring the teacher said, 'You must be in standard 3?'

'No ', he replied. 'I'm riding Silver Arrow in the seventh race, but I appreciate your help.'

<UnSnip>

Cheerz
Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #359 on: May 18, 2016, 09:44:48 PM »
Hey guys...

Another day, another dollar.....spent...

Just eased myself into a semi horizontal position on the workbench.... The main workbench in the bedroom... ... Wondering to myself where the last few weeks have gone, my, time has flown.... Kinda like the old saying: "Time flies like knives... Fruit flies like bananas..."

Been hard at it planning the forthcoming roid project, a double wheeled behemoth to tick over at around 500rpm... I have managed to get the wheels checked over by an old gent who really knows his stuff. He assures me that as long as we don't go above around 850rpm or so, things should hold together quite fine. He did a bit of a speed test on the suspect wheels and ran them up to rated speed - beyond a bit of bounce due to one being a bit out of balance, all was fine. He reckons at a lowered speed of up to 850 or so, they should last quite well, nothing to be concerned about, this is good news indeed, especially since 500 is the target! (I wasn't around when he tested them, in fact, I made a point of not being around when he tested them!)

As to what I have been getting up to in the interim, not really that much... We roofed over and covered another almost 90 sq m or so of soon to be workshop, all done in steel and similar, no woodwork involved,... While we were at it, we included a 10m x 6m overhead gantry system, main bearers made from 6" x 6" H sections with a double lifting point beam crawls on the main traverse beam, a second and slightly shorter, heavier duty beam will ride along side the 6m traverse beam about 750mm from it, and paralell with it, to give us up to four lifting points for difficult loads. We pretty much just finished putting up the main beam this evening, and, not to be left sleeping, I quietly snuck off and tested it... I lifted one of my bending brake/ press chassis.... about 500kg or so and it performed flawlessly, the main traverse beam hardly settled at all. At a rough guestimate, I should be able to center lift in excess of 5000kg at center, well above what my lifting tackle and chain blocks can currently handle, so swinging a 4wheel TM2 around should be a breeze.... Here are a few low quality pics to get an idea of the bits and bobs I have suspended currently... http://www.warriorpaintball.co.za/private/20160419 New Gantry and Roof/

Damn, I just browsed thru the pics and noticed two rather important things....

1 - it has been over a month since I started throwing some steel into the air and managed to get it to stay there...(in the words of the great Douglas Adams: Hovers in the air, like bricks don't!)

And

2 - it is high time I put a coat of paint on the front wall of the house... It looks real crappy!

But... That can wait a little while... there are far more important things to play.....er..... work on... Like Listers and gantries!

Keep on lifting!

Cheers
Ed