Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 198938 times)

EdDee

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #960 on: November 08, 2019, 02:16:09 PM »
Hey Glort...

Glad to see I haven't broken your sense of humour yet....

TM3 is arriving, delivered, at around AUD450 at today's exchange rate.... plus, with it, is about 150L of mildly water contaminated diesel that will go through the 'fuge and get burnt in one of the whirling dervishes.....

TM1 is still staring at me dolefully minus his lid, lid's done, just need to find the time to pop him a new barrel and rings, also waiting.... Life has got beyond me!

TM2 is running fine, taking the brunt of the longer outages, the little autostart and solar are doing the shorter stuffs...

As to the MG42.... I wish....

What I have gotten quite deep into is the cad/cam side of things, unfortunately the grey matter takes a while to charge up nowadays and the things that used to seem quickly "grasp-able" take a wee bit longer now..... No matter, I am not slower, just more deliberate and thorough.....

One thing that has been interesting, with the 3d printers that is, is the interest from the happy hippy home-maker crowd in some lithophanes that I 3d printed... Take a look into it, it would go hand in hand with your photography side of things, and, even me who is less impressed by a scenic panoramic view than the tech involved with making a box of matches, finds them pretty damn awesome!

But, enough rambling.... Gotta go and clear the path for the honeysucker that's en route to alleviate another minor irritation... but that's another saga entirely....

Have a gr8 weekend...

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #961 on: November 08, 2019, 05:59:29 PM »
OH MAN !

Ed, I'm green with envy :-\

Somehow members here keep coming up with these "barn finds" for very little cash.
Here in Canada I have never heard of a barn find lister CS.
I suspect there's only 3 working genuine Lister CS units in the whole country.
It would be nice to run across a deal like that.

Rebuild her well and keep the CS legacy going.  ;)

- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- Kubota Z482 - 4kw
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #962 on: November 24, 2019, 11:27:43 PM »
Tote up another fellow green with envy.

Keep it smoking!
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #963 on: April 30, 2020, 03:39:34 PM »
Hi Guys!!

I'm still around.... Strangely.... Still got all the hairy bits too... wonders never cease...

I have been a good little miscreant and locked myself away for the last 6 weeks, or was it 8... or 12... or 20?

Whatever...

But... You will be glad to know, particularly you, Glort, that I might have solved an interesting problem where it comes to micro solar power installations... You know, the one everybody asks about... The good ole cup full problem.... When the batteries are full (the cup), how do you actually know it? .... More importantly, as the batteries are filling and solar conditions change, ie solar incidence, clouds, charger load etc, how much power is actually available to be pushed into other things (the grog in the bottle)... Like winding some extra cold into the deep freeze, warming up some water in the good old boiler, pumping air into the compressor tank, turning on the pool pump for a bit longer.... (This does of course assume you are using some form of battery storage to run into the non sun  hours, but, it may just apply to other thingies as well...)

Well..... Look no further!! Eureka... I haf founded eet!!

The secret, me dear friends, is actually so exceedingly simple, I am surprised that it isn't touted as a mantra on all forums and made a prerequisite for all solar installations...

Would you like to know more?

If so, read on!

Oh.. and there aint much Lister involved in here, so please Mr Admin.... Forgive me!!

The suspense........

The Solution:

What you will need -

A Sonoff POWR2 Power monitoring WiFi switch thingy
A Chinesium Grid Tie inverter - About 1Kw should suffice
A couple of Solar Panels that can be disconnected from your main array if you are over panelled, or a couple of unused that can be jammed in alongside your main array...

By now, you should have an inkling as to what we are going to do!

Tack the little gti onto your mains line through the Sonoff switch and hook up the panels... While sun is shining, the little gti will give all its getting to the grid....

Take a power reading from the sonoff, and jot it down... Alongside that, take power readings of what you're getting from your other solar bits and jot them down too...

Keep at it until you are thoroughly bored and have at least 10 or more simultaneous readings for everything... A few clouds pissing you around wont make a big difference, but fast moving clouds during readings stuff you around immensely.... How do I know this?

Once you have a few thousand....err.... hundred... Just a few readings, take an average of the individual groups, ie GTI1Kw, Gti600Va, Main array system.... (Make sure all batteries are accepting full charge of the sun, or your readings will be worth buggerall on them...again...how do I know?)

Now, here's where my eureka bit comes in... There's a pattern.... When the "monitoring" gti is putting out power, the other arrays will be doing same.... When the monitor puts out double its power, everything else will be capable of putting out the same proportionate increase....

Does it work?

YES!!

Now you may ask... WHY?

Well, being a skinflint stingy bastard, I want to get as much out of my panels as I can... Without wrecking my batteries or inverter(s)...

How to automate?

Sonoff wifi switches on any thing that can be turned on and off to use up available power -
Regular Sonoff basic units to turn on lights and small loads (or turn off small loads when there are power failures and the inverter is working its ass off)...
Sonoff TH10's on deep freeze, using the extra solar availability to pull temps down as much as possible using the temperature monitoring on it as a feedback..
Sonoff PowR2's for turning on larger loads and monitoring power consumption (Dishwasher, Washing Machines, Compressor etc....)
A Raspberry Pi to coordinate all this crap, with MQTT installed and a package called Node Red , which is a gui type ladder, type programming enviro...
And, for full in house control, drop the Tasmota firmware into your Sonoff switches to allow full intranet control without having to go through an external server...
And a wifi network to hang all of this onto... Bruce, you might have a problem here...
Emoncms running on the pi if you wanna log this junk and make a pretty lookatme page!

For a "live view" of it - Feel free to look at: http://www.digipoint.co.za:85/emoncms/dashboard/view&id=21 ... This is my "in house" page, so quite large, lots of data, will be slow on a remote view... Besides comments on how long it takes to load, they would be appreciated....

Keep it Sunning!!

Cheers
Ed
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #964 on: May 01, 2020, 09:13:07 AM »

Very clever as usual Ed!
As we say in Oz, you are a clever little Vegemite!

Couple of things with the monitoring, If I understand what you are doing correctly.  You don't need a couple of panels, I have used some Little cells from old solar lights.  The efficiency isn't a concern, as you say it's all proportional.  You can go one better as I have been playing with..... You can use LEDS. Yes, Tiny little LEDS. They are a semiconductor just like a solar panel and hit them with light and you get a proportional output in Micro volts.  Run that through an op amp or a transistor and you can go from there. You can also do it another way.  Just Tap an output  between say a meter of an output cable from your solar array.  Again you will get a Mv reading and you can use that as a base for the output you are getting or do the same on the output of the batteries.

The other thing that comes to mind is why not just monitor your battery Voltage and use that to Drive the Sonoffs? You could set up a voltage divider circuit on your battery pack for an arduino to monitor and use a relay block to switch the sonoffs according to the power available. You could set it up to 10ths of a volt and prioritise.  First Freezer, then hot water then the pump for the heated Jacuzzi in the home theatre building,  Turn on the AC in the stables...etc and when one switches off the voltage goes up and the next devise kicks in. You can get relay Blocks of 16 for individual channels so a couple of them may be just enough for what you need to drive the Sonoffs.  :0)

At least with the direct method you can measure actual Battery voltage.  This is what I do with the mains Voltage on the Hot water tank. I use a Mains voltage monitor  (Which can also run off DC) To kick in the hot water heater when the panels are pushing the voltage up.
These go from 50 to 300V Ac/ Dc but if you were running a 24V battery bank you could easy run a buck converter to ramp the power proportionally.

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32737039338.html?spm=2114.search0104.3.8.cca3844nMim7d&ws_ab_test=searchweb0_0,searchweb201602_3_10065_10344_10068_10130_10342_10547_10343_10340_10548_10341_10084_10617_10616_10083_10618_10615_10307_10131_5920011_10132_10133_10313_10059_10534_100031_10103_441_10624_442_10623_10622_10621_10620_10142,searchweb201603_25,ppcSwitch_5&algo_expid=742fd454-5534-41ac-afd2-006e6b97276e-1&algo_pvid=742fd454-5534-41ac-afd2-006e6b97276e&priceBeautifyAB=1

No good for your multi output setup but I run a couple set a volt apart and they are simple and straight forward.

You sure have your house wired for sound and everything else Ed! Amazing setup.
Poor Bruce would Fry in that environment.  Unfortunately he's no longer with us. I believe I offended him too much with my rebuttal of the whole Globull warming ideal and I upset his delicate sensibilities with my mannerisms.  Unfortunate but there you go.

Your control and monitoring is amazing though.

I'm working ( slowly) on a board to direct control water heaters and resistive elements from solar panels.  It's basically a Bang bang voltage switch that charges some caps and then drops them to the load when they reach voltage. This keeps the panels on Power point and maxes the output instead of dragging them down to all hell and way off their curve. I had water heating in mind but you could use it for anything really.  Because it will normally run above mains frequency, you can use it with thermostats etc because it effectively gives a better zero crossing point than AC.  I have also played with an arduino running at a fixed frequency with a bank of caps.  as long as you run it fast enough so it fires as soon as the caps are up to speed or just before, it works well. Much better than direct connection. I want to add a voltage monitor and have upper and lower settings for voltage in and out but I haven't figured out the coding for that yet and find it very confusing. I know the principal but the software is another thing. I reckon would be a no brainer for anyone with some but for the rest of us....

This would be good for a pre heater setup with a water heater. Have a tank that the solar feeds then run that into the main tank so your off peak only has to make up the difference.... if any. Run the pre heater hotter than the main tank and you can hedge your bets and offset the tank losses. You can run a mains Voltage element on ans many or few panels as you like. Doesn't matter because you set it to keep the panels you have on power point and whatever power they make gets dumped to the tank.

I want to run something I'm sure you have never seen this winter. It's called an electric  Radiator.  It's for heating homes in parts of the world that get actually cold in winter.  You have probably seen pics of that White imaginary stuff called SNOW.  We don't get it here but we could on occasion.  Anyway, this setup would work on one of those as well which would be another way to utilise panels.

That said, I'm in the process of adding to the system again. I'm covering the back of the house roof which is 24M x5 m on that side of the gable with panels. I have one row now but I want to add another 4 rows and use all the space.  Should take me to around 25-27 Kw.
I have another 6 Kw of new panels that could go on the north roof but I'll see how I go. they would be visible from the street and I prefer to run in stealth mode atm.

My approach is a little more ham fisted than yours. I just want so much available power I won't have to give a shit whats running and what is not.  Well and truly at that now but I want to fill in that winter gap.

Just amazing what you have there Ed. Here that would be in some Trendy Modern home magazine as being the latest in Eco friendly save the planet energy management. And cost about $40K to have installed in a new build!  :0)

Keep posting mate, great to see you back and your always interesting creations.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #965 on: May 01, 2020, 01:39:15 PM »
Hey Glort...

"You don't need a couple of panels, I have used some Little cells from old solar lights." - I actually do.... The additional GT inverter also has mppt on it so I can follow the potential power output way more accurately.... Loading on a simple solar call current metering enviro doesn't slot it into the maximum available power scene.... This does of course require the main/other inverter(s) to be mppt as well...

"why not just monitor your battery Voltage" - Can do, but this is way more accurate.... Particularly if the charger has bulk/float voltages etc....

Also, this has been an exercise in getting the absolute most out of the panels as far as is possible, particularly in forecasting the max available loads that can be imposed - this method takes nice care of intermittent clouds and the like... Pushes out as much as it possibly can to alternative storage methods...

I could have probably gone a lot simpler with smaller standalone individual things, but the problem I foresaw with that was expansion... as you start putting on additional little bits, central control becomes a problem...

Re the ahdunno.... I have a pi hooked up... had the mqtt in... had the node red in the background... So I just used it!

Real pity Bruce isnt here anymore, I would have valued his insight... That man's far from being a fool! Shame on you, you crass ozzi twat!! Why'd you chase off one of the good guys? Good thing we're both thick skinned ignorant farts!! I might insult you!! Lol... Great to see you're still around!!

I might be interested in aqding a bang-bang circuit to this whole mess.... I have an element in the water heater that's sitting there doing nothing... I was thinking about Cap Disch powering it somehow.... I must scheme a bit more.... Unfortunately its around the 3kw range, a bit heavy for my inverter to run direcerterly.... also, being a scrapper boiler, its well and truly corroded into place, no hope of changing it!!

"Your control and monitoring is amazing though. " - Thanx for the comps!! Love you long time!!

"Trendy Modern home magazine as being the latest in Eco friendly save the planet energy management." - Hell no!! The bunny boys would go into cardiac arrest if they saw me recycling oil!!

"Keep posting mate, great to see you back and your always interesting creations. " - Thanx Boet!!  - That's the ZA equivalent of thank you my dear brother ;D ;D

I will try and post a bit more, but my bandwidth is well and truly limited at the mo!!

Hold thumbs

Cheers!

Ed

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #966 on: May 04, 2020, 03:47:06 PM »
Hey Glort,

Set up a tiny little panel (12v 1A) and some measuring kit.... Tried to see if there was a reasonable relationship between a non mppt and a mppt type enviro... Not quite chalk and cheese, but unless I manually regulated the output volts quite tediously on the mini panel and did the power calcs, I could not see a way to use the info as it stood... The "manual" mppt variance made a fair difference to available power.... (Did this just to put my own mind to rest and reinforce my 1kW GTI solar monitoring setup....)

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #967 on: May 05, 2020, 10:17:06 AM »

I have been doing some panel testing in regards to MPPT.

First thing I found was panes, used and new have quite a variance from Their specified Vov and Vmp ratings. As I was trying to set manual tracking points I couldn't figure out why the string voltage was so far from what I calculated. First I thought it was the old panels I was using so went and got some new ones I haven't put up yeat and found these were not as specified either.

The next thing I found was you can go 10% either side of VMp and maybe only get 1-2% loss of output.  Less if you go higher, more if you go lower. When you have sa8 8 panels in series, that adds up to 50 V or well more depending on the panels actual Voltage. When you realise you can swing an array 50+ V and only suffer 1-2% loss, it starts making MPPT look a bit redundant.

The board I am working on is simply a voltage switch. When the volts go low it switches off, when they get to the upper limit the switch closes. This is monitoring a small Cap bank so works really well because the caps put bugger all load on the panels anyway.

I got some little Low voltage battery charging modules yesterday. Same thing, set a Digital readout for high and low and the switch accordingly.  I'm going to make a Voltage divider to run them off the panels and remove the relay to switch some Chunky Mosfets out of some solar inverters I have scrapped.  As long as you hold the panels in their happy place voltage envelope, all works well and one does not need to go to the Trouble of MPPT.

I got an outdoor spa today. Mrs wanted it and just looks like more work to me.  I was thinking of making the best of the thing though and coupling it up to an oil burning heater. With just 100 Kw I can heat the thing up ( about 1500L) in 30 Min.  I was thinking I could push it up a bit to 50 and run the water though a radiator and push the hot air into the house for heating.  Can store a LOT of energy in 1.5 ton of water even at low temp.

I had your monitoring Dashboard page up on my computer for a few days. Felt very Voyeuristic looking at how much power you were making or using.
You must have discovered my perving at you,  wants a logon now so my perversion has come to a disappointing halt!  :0)

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #968 on: May 05, 2020, 10:56:28 AM »
Hey Glort...

Agreed re the panel happy place, it does make little difference as to where it is in the happy place for current, but bear in mind I'm looking at maxing the power out.... Now my strings are around 100v or so... Given that they can be anywhere pretty much 30v plus or minus with little change in current percentage wise, worst to best scenario is at around 10A per string, giving around 700W to 1.3kw per string... Major difference for me...

"I got some little Low voltage battery charging modules yesterday. Same thing, set a Digital readout for high and low and the switch accordingly.  I'm going to make a Voltage divider to run them off the panels and remove the relay to switch some Chunky Mosfets out of some solar inverters I have scrapped.  As long as you hold the panels in their happy place voltage envelope, all works well and one does not need to go to the Trouble of MPPT. " - Nice Idea!! I like it!! (can I steall that idea?

"Can store a LOT of energy in 1.5 ton of water even at low temp. "Agreed!! Good one!!

Oops - Sorry About that... Took the link down, Didn't think anybody was still looking at it!! - Here's another:http://www.digipoint.co.za:85/emoncms/dashboard/view&id=6

The cloned dashboard was just to test some stuff.... This is the active one currently...

Keep it shining!!

Cheers

Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #969 on: May 05, 2020, 12:16:47 PM »
worst to best scenario is at around 10A per string, giving around 700W to 1.3kw per string... Major difference for me

Yes, it is quite a bit.

Nice Idea!! I like it!! (can I steall that idea?

No!... and it definitely wasn't these ones I got either!  :0)

https://www.banggood.com/XY-CD60-Solar-Battery-Charger-Controller-Module-DC6-60V-Charging-Discharge-Control-Low-Voltage-Current-Protection-Board-M0XD-p-1591855.html?rmmds=search&cur_warehouse=CN

I did order some a while back which I just remembered that haven't shown up.  There were settable in the same way but had Mosfets instead of Relays already. I bought these then saw the others but they haven't arrived as yet.
No biggie, these are easier to remote mount the mosfets anyway. The way I'm going to use them with the cap back they can be blowing though some power, over 3Kw and be Cycling 50-100Hz.

I can mount them on a CPU heat sink with a fan and that will do well. Those little AC/DC power supplys are available for about 2 of our Aussie Pesos and will work from about 70 to 400V and give a very constant 12V output. Makes them perfect for powering fans and boards direct from DC solar outputs instead of needing a separate supply.

[/quote]"Can store a LOT of energy in 1.5 ton of water even at low temp. "Agreed!! Good one!![/quote]

From 50C to 25C is 43 Kwh of energy.
It's a lot to generate electrically, half of what I have done on a good day and a good amount even with a thumpmaster but when you go to oil power, it's a walk in the park.  I have to make an effort to keep a burner under 100KW and that 43 Kw would be under 5L of oil so it's like you no sooner fire the thing and you are there.  If there were an way to do say 200Kwh hr of storage Viably, it would be much better.

I thought about oil. I think it's about .8 the density of water but you can run that up to 150oC without thinking about it.  Thing then is you have to go to all hard line to handle the temp and what are you going to store it in with any insulation?
Hopefully before the winter is over I'll get to set up a gas water heater with a draft burner and run that pretty much all the time. I'll control it with a dosing pump so the thing can't run away at any point.  The heater I have is only about 6Kw capacity rated on gas but I might be Able to squeeze a bit more out of it at lower efficiency.

Once I get the spa set up I'll do a brick "furnace" with a 200Kw HE I have. that should make for a fast heat up and I'll see if I can get it to burn at around 10Kw.  I have an idea in my head for a scroll design burner which I think would make for far more flexible outputs.
If I never think up or take on another project from this time On I think I have enough to keep me flat out if I live to 150 years old.

The cloned dashboard was just to test some stuff.... This is the active one currently...

Quite amazing how many things you are monitoring on that.
BTW, I think you should check your deep freeze.  It's at -11.6 Atm which seems a bit warm. Mine runs at -22 and I think they should be a minimum of -15 and -20 is better.

How much solar do you have installed atm Ed?

Are you just monitoring the appliances or switching them according to power availability?
I was thinking of doing this with some things but unfortunately all our old appliances  pretty much shit themselves over the last few years and much of what we have is new crap.  You can't just set it and power it up to work. it has to be manually done once powered up because of all the electronics and the settings.  I notice the dishwasher can be programmed to come on at a certain time, no doubt for solar benefit
But the washer is a pain in the arse enough even setting it when it is powered up.

The daughter wasn't happy with the new LED lights I'm putting in the place, she wanted smart types. I said do they do anything besides switch on and off? No. I said well why don't you buy one of those wifi power points and I'll put that in the roof and you can run the regular lights I got off that? Run in here room, brings out exact plug in unit I was talking about. Bought it from work months ago. Set it up, works like a bough one.  Wifi switch, $20. Led Lights,  4x 9.85.  Smart LED's, over 50 ea. 

Needless to say she was satisfied with the outcome of that.                    ;D

[/quote]

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #970 on: May 05, 2020, 02:21:07 PM »
Hey Glort...

The deepfreeze is actually at around -40 or -50 at the bottom... I'm monitoring the top level, just below the lid, its a chest type freezer, so the bottom stuff is plenty cold...

I'm still running my original panel sets I put in last year or two ago... about 4.5kw in 350w panels and two little 250W toys as well... I've also just integrated the waste of time blow gennie into the system... 500W in a gale force, so it doesn't even factor into the system really....

I am switching stuff in and out.. Of the 3 washers that we use, 2 of them can be programmed and then turned hard off, they resume when powered up again... the third, no go... Also, the dishwasher fortunately doesnt mind being crashed during a cycle, it just carries on where it left off...

Cute stuff that I am doing is monitoring the power output of the GTI's with sonoffs... as soon as I go below about 250W output on my pip, I shut down the one GTI if the pip is running from battery/solar... I dont want to take a chance of backfeeding the inverter too heavily... Especially because both GTI's are on the output of the PIP.... When it's in bypass mode, I dont really care.... I've set it up this way to get the best out of all scenarios for my environment... Seems to be working quite well so far.... Let's see how long it takes to go bang...

My mid sized compressor is on a small 750W VFD... That I run ex PIP as well... The only difference is that I hacked the Sonoff Basic so that its purely a relay switch, no power out, that way I have tied it into the pressure sense circuit in series and all is roses....

Enough rambling... time to go finish up the flexi screw conveyor I'm putting together.... 100mm dia and the longest section of screw I have is around 40m.... Cutting them down and customising to use them to convey infill from under the house as we are excavating and enlarging basements....  I realllllly want my indoor shooting range!!

Send me a PM with your cel # and I will send you some whatsapp pics of the conveyor et al if you're interested....

Keep it digging....

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #971 on: May 06, 2020, 12:59:57 AM »
Hey Glort...

The deepfreeze is actually at around -40 or -50 at the bottom... , so the bottom stuff is plenty cold...

You're not Kidding!

I'm still running my original panel sets I put in last year or two ago... about 4.5kw in 350w panels and two little 250W toys as well...

I have about 40 of those toy 250W panels to put up yet. I won't fit them all, Roof is starting to run out... at least the roof space I want to use.  I have some 360's and some whopping 405W units. They are going to be a Bitch to put up. The things are 2x1m. Weight about 6kg more than the 250W panels. Doesen't sound a lot over 250 panels but the difference in manhandling the things is huge..... especially on a roof. On the ground is bad enough.

Apart from handling them, I worked out they are not as efficient on roof space because they are more limited where you can put them with angles of roof lines.  If you go horizontal, they you only have to be 300mm short and you have lost the space you could have put a 250 with clearance.

I've also just integrated the waste of time blow gennie into the system... 500W in a gale force, so it doesn't even factor into the system really....

What do you find the problem with this Ed?
Do you not have enough wind or is the output just too low ?

I understand blowgens can make power 24/7 but what I continue to read on them makes me think they are still expensive to buy, Not so cheap but time consuming to make, need more complicated controls, and offer fairly low output except in limited circumstances and conditions.  Unless one lives where it is permanently cloudy, solar seems a much better option.

There have to be more advantages but it seems to me they are a preference  over a practicality in many cases.

I realllllly want my indoor shooting range!!

You build that and I'm definitely coming to Visit!
I used to shoot at a couple of indoor ranges. All steel lined. Shooting falling plates, the throwback just kept bouncing round forever.  Also using .357 and .44 the noise and pressure wave was something to behold. Anything high pressure used to just thump actually. Had a race gun in .380 super that ran real hot ammo and that thing was certainly fun in there.

Don't forget a Good Ventilation system.  Wasn't allowed to shoot Black Powder at the first place because the ventilation was so crap. The second place was better but far from perfect.
If you put in a centred and raised wooden floor you could use the range as a Bowling alley as well!  :0)

Wouldn't you be better with an outdoor Shooting range?  Maybe you could invest in a night scope and use the local Miscreants to help you with target practice.....I always did like shooting movers and IPSC.. ;D

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #972 on: May 06, 2020, 02:16:52 PM »
Hey Glort...

"have about 40 of those toy 250W " - I wish.... Pack your spares up and send them this way...Lol

"Do you not have enough wind or is the output just too low ?".... I chose this spot that Im in because it has a bit of a "micro-micro Climate" - it is on the top of a hillock, with the result that the wind "deflects" and kinda ramps up about 20m above the pitch of the roof.... and its double storey to boot.... my wind mast is only about 9 to 10m from ground level, so it misses the bulk of the wind... plus the fact that its a max 500w output.... What they don't tell you is that the 500w is in about 300mph wind.... Live and learn I guess!!

Re the shooting range... the outdoor one is still there (read that as back yard with targets set up) .... But... I want an indoor range where I can set up a few favorite pistols and rifles and play around with loads, on the fly... I swage heads as well as cast, making my own moulds and press tools for them too... I enjoy the ballistics side of things immensely and love to spend hours...days weeks setting up "surgical accuracy" loads for my toys... My goodness... if I played with one toy a day, every day of the year, it would take me in the region of about 1.8years before I played with the first toy again.... Time to get rid of a few I reckon, not enough years left in me to play with them properly....

Ventilation will be a must - In fact the blowers etc are already on the rack, waiting for the rest to be done... Snyder's and the like, even though they are cased rounds, prefer the holy black to run properly... Martini's too...

Come to think of it, single cylinder disposable piston engines are probably my first passion in life.... I spent all of my money on guns, ammo and women... The rest I wasted!!

Enough rambling... Time to go put some more screw conveyor together... I'm only at my pc to print an outlet duct for the conveyor anyway... and to reply to you, of course!!

Keep it digging!!

Cheers
Ed

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #973 on: May 07, 2020, 08:29:19 AM »

"have about 40 of those toy 250W " - I wish.... Pack your spares up and send them this way...Lol

Time to get rid of a few I reckon, not enough years left in me to play with them properly....

I tell you what, You send me some of your spares and I'll send you some of mine.

No! Wait, I think I can get about 145 years in the slammer for even suggesting that here now.
I have been thinking of getting back into the hand cannons again but the red tape and ludicrous BS is more than I can deal with.... which is exactly what the bed wetters and control freaks want of course.
I was querying something with a Champion 3 gun shooter friend of mine and turns out it's not a misprint and I wasn't mis reading it....
On you probation Licence here you can have 2 toy. You can have 2 Rim fire, 2 centre fire, a rim and an air plinker but You CANNOT Have a rim and a centre at the same time.  Again, 2 Centre, Fine, Centre and air, yes, Centre and Rim, NO!

Now explain the logic of that garbage to me. Spose there are plenty of 1911 Style in rim now. Oh, and you have to have a licence for a min of 3 years and apply for a special licence based on " Need" to have anything over .357.  SO much for my beloved model 629 and  44 desert eagle I had before .  I could never hold onto the .357 single handed in the eagles due to the wide grip but in 44 the thing was beautiful.

Are used solar panels hard and expensive to get where you are Ed or cheaply available?
I was buying them last year but now I'd finding them Dumped and the Scrappy can't give them away fast enough. Thanks to more stupid laws here, If you have a system and the inverter shits itself, you can't just put on a new inverter. any modification to the system required it to be brought up to current " Safety" standards.  You should read the BS in the standards! It means that if you and I live next to one another, apart from everyone else in the neighbourhood moving out, if we got our systems installed at the same time and mine had a problem, I'd have to have mine taken down and a complete new system installed ( right down to the rails) because it would be "unsafe" to put on a new inverter or replace a panel but your system would be fine to carry on with.

As such and given the unreliability of the older generation plus the price of power here, people are replacing systems left right and centre. It's what the industry has been running on for a while given the amount of fresh installs is quite low other than for new homes.
I can get so many of these things I'm thinking to use them for a new 9x3M carport I want to put on the side of the shed as the roof itself.
Cheaper than Buying Colourbond.

I wish I could find a profitable use for all this power I'm making.  Really only about 3 Months of the year in winter I need it all. Winter is next month and I'm still making excess atm.  Boiling a water heater to make distilled water and burn off some of the excess.  In summer I could boil 5 water heaters all day. Yeah, I'd have to turn on all the arrays but still.....

I was out the back yesterday and I saw a police chopper coming in on approach to the local airport. The next thing I see it veer right off the flight path and come around the wrong way then is hovering low and slow up the Back a bit. I'll bet my arse they were checking out all my panels.  I have heard the Druggies have got onto them for their growing operations now. I stood there watching them covered in white powder ( From installing new LED downlights and cutting holes in the ceiling) and just drank My Cuppa.  They had to be checking me out they were so low and close.  Haven't been raided today so I guess they figured just another nutter when they saw the rest of my cra... Treasure up the back.

I have also been thinking it's about time to Drag some engines out and have a play.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #974 on: May 08, 2020, 02:17:10 PM »
Hey Glort...

The legislation here is a bit pathetic... Good in theory, but bad in practice... Not enough get up and go, nor skills and manpower to keep the peace, let alone police the regulations correctly... Unfortunately, there are so many differing opinions from station ro station as to how to apply the legislation, nobody, I'm sure, knows exactly what is going on....

Used sollies are not easy to come by, not that I've seen anyway... properties here have a fair amount of roofspace so the chaps simply add on and keep going by the looks of it.... Also, new are a tad dear to purchase, a bit, well almost, out of the reach of the average guy I think...

"I wish I could find a profitable use for all this power I'm making." - Jeez Louise!! I wish I was in that situation!! ... I would simply split H2O and dump the H... Can the O and use it on any combustible project I could think of!!

Ok, so have the Feds busted you on a "Breaking Bad" suspicion yet? Got a government residence post code yet? Feel free to send multiple gifts of solar panels whenever you get locked up and cant use them!!

Keep it shining!!

Cheers
Ed