Author Topic: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications  (Read 198973 times)

glort

• View Profile
Re: The Listeroid Chronicles-WMO and Other Listeroid Modifications
« Reply #975 on: May 08, 2020, 10:13:12 PM »

Used sollies are not easy to come by, not that I've seen anyway... properties here have a fair amount of roofspace so the chaps simply add on and keep going by the looks of it.... Also, new are a tad dear to purchase, a bit, well almost, out of the reach of the average guy I think...

We have 2 advantages in that dept,  The fact you are NOT allowed to just keep adding them  ( not that I give a damn) and the gubbermint subsidises new panels as part of our " Have to show the rest of the world how virtue Signalling Green we are. "

I would simply split H2O and dump the H... Can the O and use it on any combustible project I could think of!!

Well that is possible. I was doing it the other way summer before last.  I went to test the H I Bled some off into a sandwich bag. Obviously got some air in it and when I lit it the bang almost sent me deaf.  Bled the 200L of gas I had and disassembled the thing.  How would one Compress or store the Oxygen?  An Oil burner supercharged with oxygen would look impressive.  Rocket motor here we come!

How much power you make or use a Day Ed?
My best effort so far was in spring last year when I made 86 Kwh.  I could have made more and was looking forwatd to summer equinox However by the time that rolled around we were right in the middle of the Bushfires and the sun was obscured by the thick blanket of smoke and the panels covered in ash that looked like snow... when it wasn't actually Chunks of crisp, charcoaled leaves raining down making the lawns look black.

As far as Usage, the most I have seen in a day was 54 Kwh in winter with the Reverse cycle air con ( That's an air con that blows heat, Something I'm sure is a very weird concept for you!  :0)  )

The challenge here is winter. Days so much shorter, Radiation so much weaker.
The highest my main 5 Kw inverter saw yesterday was 4900W.  That's got about 11Kw of panels on it atm.  Only a couple of weeks ago it was pegging at 5.140 Kw from about 10 am to 3pm and I had 3.4 Kw less panels on it. I have 2 Inverters next to one another so I can add and remove arrays pretty easy between them. I might change the other inverter to the other circuit completely as that phase is more than 400Kwh ahead atm so Might balance them up a bit.   In summer it can be flat out  from about 9:00 am to about 6 Pm and still making 3.5 Kw at 7:30 then falls of very rapidly.  Makes a big difference to what is generated and I ran all last summer fires and all on only half the inverters switched on.
I want to cover the back roof with panels to try and make enough power for winter.  As well as the AC which is our only heating, I noticed last winter we use an average of about 12 Kwh day on hot water.  Just the lower inlet temps of the water in winter alone count for between 3-4 Kwh a day higher power usage than the summer inlet temps.

The neighboours got solar put on yesterday. Quite interesting to see how it was done. must be easy when there are 6 Blokes on the job with a scissor lift instead of me 90% of the time and the rest my daughter hooking the panels to the strap so I can pull them up to the roof. ..... and in the end I had to learn hot to fish and hoot the panels myself when no one else was here.

They went easy west on the shed roof instead of north on the house. at first I thought, Typical, shed is an easier roof for the installers.
I noticed the shed roof was still heavily shaded at 11 am. I laughed. Then I noticed the house roof was worse.... Ok then.  Shed came good at about midday but then was shaded well and truly by 2 Pm as was the house.  Funny how you never take any notice of these things normally.  There is a big row of tall gumtrees on the border of the property right along the north side.
I wonder how long it's going to be before they come down?

This looks an expensive system. I can see them finding no difference to the next couple of bills, Complaining the system isn't working properly and then being told why.  They are a bunch of real do gooders and Busy Bodies so will be interesting to see if the trees come down or not.  Savage haircut would probly fix most of the problem.
Mrs reckons they have probably seen all ( some) of our panels and me up on the roof and wanted to keep up. They are very much like that apparently.

It's a good thing for me though, won't be the only one  with a load of panels to interest the cops.

Ok, so have the Feds busted you on a "Breaking Bad" suspicion yet? Got a government residence post code yet?
Well no knocks at the door or strange vans parking in the street yet but I'm far from done! Hald a west roof and all the north roof to go yet.  :0)

Feel free to send multiple gifts of solar panels whenever you get locked up and cant use them!!

Last lot of panels I bought last year from a solar guy that had to change them all on a factory roof. Some got hail damaged and because that panel was no longer available, ( guy said he only did the system 18 months before) insurance covered a total replacement. Over 180 panels.
There was a guy there loading them in a rent a ute who said he was sending them to the islands ( Samoa)  and another guy that was sending them to the middle east.  Might be worth a partnership and sending you a container of the things. All the panels you want plus plenty to sell and finance the next couple of containers. I know where there is a Factory over flowing with used panels.
They break them up for recycling and disposal.  :o

I reckon if you advertised free panels disposal You could get a container full a week.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2020, 11:44:32 AM by glort »

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #976 on: May 09, 2020, 12:36:21 PM »

I won't tell you Ed I found some  New old stock 4 Kw GTI's  for $110 of our AU peaso's today. I think that Converts to about  $3.47 US.  :-[
They were on Gumtree so see if I can get them.  My luck is very hit and miss on these sort of sites.
If I can, I'll be getting 3 for myself, 1 for Dad and 1 for the next door neighbour I mentioned them to who is now is champing at the bit for one.

If I can get these I'll be pretty right with the new panels on the north side of the house.  I'll put them on the 5Kw inverter and split the other arrays back over to  2 of the new 4 Kw's and put the other 4 Kw with the one that's up there now.   That ought to about do me then.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #977 on: May 09, 2020, 03:19:15 PM »
Hey Glort,

Compressing O2 shouldnt be too much of a problem, just make sure your compressor rings arent bypassing oil and you should be more than ok if you keep the pressures down to about 8bar max... Wouldn't want a diesel effect... O2 will obviosly cause a fair bit of corrosion if moisture is present too.... A mid pressure diaphragm compressor would be the answer for lowish pressures... A largish volume at lower pressures would be a nice safe way to go as opposed to 300atm 2gal jugs!!

Power wise we dont really use much daytime, solar pretty keep up with it on a medium bright day, we are pretty power efficient here... Dont let the rest of the clan hear that, they think we are power hogs the way I piss a blister some days!!! But seriously, we only use about 50kwh total per day, before you take off what solar harvests... Considering that is a house, a flat, paintball range, workshops x 3... its not bad at all...

"I reckon if you advertised free panels disposal You could get a container full a week. " - Not around here, for sure!!

Ooooooh.... 4kw GTI's.... Luuurvley!! Get a dozen and send the excess this way - Those are another thing I only see on the 2nd hand market as "Needs minor attention".... ie its totally buggered and the only attention its worth is stripping down for copper and ali!

On a slightly different note.... Had a lovely wake up this morning... Got up to the smell of pecan cake bread type things being baked... Threw some clothes on... tossed on the socks and safety boots... wandered through to the kitchen to a steaming cup of coffee... Awesome!! .... Sat there chatting to one of the daughters while she was baking... Had another cup of coffee... Had a smoke... Had another cup of coffee.... Decided it was time to pull outside to go prune some trees... Stood up... (Now bear in mind, a good hour to hour and a half has transpired by this time since I slipped on the safety shoes..... Stretched my legs out and flexed the toes just before I stood up.... WHAM!! ...Felt like some asshole poured hot sulphuric acid into a freshly bored hole in my rhs middle toe.... I immediately set about cursing, writhing and trying to loosen triple knotted laces simultaneously...

A bloody great big baboon spider decided he didn't like my little piggies wriggling around his nether regions!! When I eventually got him unlatched from my toe... No let me rephrase that... When he had had enough of squirting painful alkaloids into my toe, he withdrew back into the toe section of my shoe and refused to come out... A bit of gentle coaxing later, and he left his overnight residence... Picked him up and let him go outside... Its a good 8 hours later and my toes still feel like someone injected them with molten lead!! Soddit!!!!

Keep it squirming!!

Cheers
Ed

Oh, heres a pic of the b@#$tard,,,
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #978 on: May 09, 2020, 06:51:13 PM »
Hey Ed, didn't you learn in the army, always shake your boots out before you put them on?  I still religiously shake mine out, 40 years after klaaring out.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #979 on: May 09, 2020, 09:21:25 PM »
Hey Dax...

Yep, did that.... Been doing that since basics... This bastard must have gone to scouts and used all his knotting skills to stay put... He isn't the first one I've had resident, but he is the first resident to remain undiscovered until assault... Only other time I've had similar was a small mean little bastard of a rock scorpion that I sat on... In my car...

ouch....

Cheers
Ed
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #980 on: May 10, 2020, 10:38:45 AM »
LOL, ja spiders can grip when they want to.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #981 on: May 10, 2020, 10:45:55 AM »
If there is one thing that freaks me out, It's a spider on me. Getting bit by one would take years of therapy to get over.

I have a habit of not only shaking boot/s and shoes but stomping them before I put them on so if there is anything still in there, It wont be anything bar mush when my foot is in there with it.  Go the same with gloves. Drop them on the ground, good stomping then I put them on.

You are a better man than I Ed. Normaly I don't kill spiders as they keep the flies and Skeeters down but if one bit me like that, I'd bite back.

I Didn't worry wasps once either. 3 different times I got attacked, Multiple times when I didn't even see the things. Now, It's a can of degreaser and a blowtorch and Flame thrower time.  You can't just spray the bastards, they will fly off and come after you before they fall over.  Hit them with flame and it burns their wings so they fall down and then you can just squash them.

My Father has to be really careful of them. He's allergic to them. Last time He got hit by one he ended up in hospital. He blew up like a balloon.
I saw a nest in the shed once up in the roof and did the flame thrower trick.  The guy that worked for him said careful you don't set something alight. My Father said "I don't care if he burns the whole effing shed down as long as he can guarantee he got the bastards!"

The higher end domestic consumption here is considered 20-25Kwh.
I get a lot of comments from people about how much power I use.  When you question them though,. They often have gas for cooking, hot water and in the winter heating or a wood stove. Only energy source I have is electric and people never take into account their external energy sources.

I'm going up to Dads this week.  I know a couple of days or 3 with a Chains saw, a forklift and a wood splitter await me.
I tell people wood fire is the most efficient way of keeping warm. Even in the middle of winter, I'm sweating when I cut a tree down and trim it up, I'm sweating when I cut the logs up, I'm certainly sweating when I'm Splitting and stacking them  and the fireplace is 300M away and often not even going!  Now That's efficiency. 
I'm usually sweating when Dad does have it on because he has the place a nice and cosy 30 o C + which having acclimatised to winter feels like 40 to me anyway.

I have noticed this thing with older people and fires.  They complain the place is cold in winter when they have the house at a temp they would be complaining they were dying of the heat in summer.  I tell Dad 25 is more than enough but..... Then again the wife and daughter are the same with the AC.  They whinge when I have it at 23 In summer and want to turn it all the way down. In winter they whinge If I have it at 23 and want to turn it all the way up!  I'll never forget the first winter my Old neighbour got her wood heater.  I had to hand split 4 tons of wood for here and she blew through it in about 6 weeks.  Of course you went up there and the door was open and the place was still a cosy 45oC and she was running round Braless in a t shirt and shorts.  Be ok if she were 20 rather than 70 yo. Next year I let her split her own damn wood!

I have a 2KW Inverter on Dads place with 4 Kw of panels.  The guy with the 4 Kw inverters also has 3.3 KW inverters so I want to get one of them for dad because that's about the limit of what his wiring can take. He does have plenty of roof space left so I'll see what I have left when I do all my refit and might throw another 16x 180w panels I want to replace up there which will be another 2.8KW. The roof is the wrong direction, the wrong tilt But mainly shaded by huge gum trees so I'm amazed he makes the power he does now. Extra panels will help a lot especially in winter and get the inverter cranking earlier and lasting later.

Should be able to use his AC Winter and Summer then.  I'll make sure to put an isolator on the individual arrays because he'll Probably have to back half off in spring and Autumn so he doesn't go into negative numbers and raise the ire of the power co.

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #982 on: May 14, 2020, 04:45:26 PM »
Hi Ed, you'll never guess what came out of my boot this morning.  This is the first day in about 50 that i have put shoes on, so he has made himself at home.  Luckily was dead and came out on the 1st shake

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #983 on: May 15, 2020, 08:04:26 AM »
Feel free to send multiple gifts of solar panels whenever you get locked up and cant use them!!

Got the Inverters OK. Brand new in the box. 2015 Models.  Guy stressed the was no warranty. I thought to myself If these things last 3 Months I'll  be in front anyway.

Maybe the best bit was he has some used 250W Panels he wanted to sell so I did a deal with him on some. 
200 of them!!  ;D
Yes, Literally Two Hundred panels!

Already put an ad up where my Dad is and got 5 Orders for the things. Might have to borrow a mates Truck to bring 50 or so up. That's almost 1 Ton.  Put a reasonable price on them so I actually move them. Most people want $50+ here but then have them for months. I have put $25 on them so I can shift the things and seems to be working. There is no shortage of people selling them but I think price is the limiting thing now.

Might have to buy myself a Forklift and a small Truck!

Sending you that container load might not be so pie in the sky after all Ed!

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #984 on: May 15, 2020, 04:11:50 PM »
Hi Glort, when you send that container for Ed, better make sure there are some panels in there for me too ;D

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #985 on: May 16, 2020, 06:56:47 AM »

Told a mate I did a deal on 200 Panels and his first question was " Do you still have enough room for that many?"
No missing the opportunity I told him I was going to set up a small solar farm in the back yard. Without a pause he asked how much that was going to make me a week.

Seems me setting up a solar farm was not something he thought was remotely unusual.  :0(

dax021

• View Profile
« Reply #986 on: May 16, 2020, 08:09:24 AM »
You have it good down under.  As Ed has mentioned, there are very few 2nd hand panels available in S.A.  Also, unless your panels are secured really well, they have a nasty habit of getting up and walking to the closest low income settlement.  My neighbour had his solar pump panels disappear in the middle of the night.  It would seem that they weren't happy with their position on top od a 5m pole, so they somehow sawed the pole down and walked away, never to be seen again.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #987 on: May 16, 2020, 09:17:07 AM »
Hi Glort

Maybe you've got on to something big with  backyard solar

If you set up a small to medium sized solar farm in your back yard or up your Dads place, with 'repurposed ' equipment and get it checked and certificated by a qualified inspector you could apply to the local power company to be a registered suplier.

When they start to bleat about the age of your equipment you point out that it is completely safe and the proposed connection exceeds current safety regs by far.

It's slightly less efficient than current equipment, but continues to make an environmental contribution, rather than being a disposal issue.

You then play your hole card.

I know you despise the 'greenwashed' but they will be failing over themselves to support a bloke that is using perfectly serviceable kit to save the planet rather than burying in landfill to poison it.

A month or so jumping through bureaucratic hoops and being in the local media whilst pretending to be greenwashed yourself and you'll be making money for the rest of your life.

Just don't forget it was my idea and 10% of the profit isn't very much....

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

glort

• View Profile
« Reply #988 on: May 16, 2020, 11:32:00 AM »

If you set up a small to medium sized solar farm in your back yard or up your Dads place, with 'repurposed ' equipment and get it checked and certificated by a qualified inspector you could apply to the local power company to be a registered suplier.

When they start to bleat about the age of your equipment you point out that it is completely safe and the proposed connection exceeds current safety regs by far.

It's not a bad idea at all Steph. There are a few problems however.
Unfortunately it would never be passed here.  We have a load of silly standards that are soley designed to keep our solar industry ticking over that mean non currently available equipment can never be passed or approved. It is literally not a matter of safety but of currency.

The second problem would be Dads House and sheds are only just Visible from satellite Photos.  I am amazed how well his setup works  with the amount of trees around and I'm talking MAJOR trees.  The power company called around yesterday. No, not about the solar, about the couple of dead trees in the front ( 2 acres) yard that they deem a risk to falling on the power lines.  We had been talking about them yesterday  Morning about getting them taken down.  The power come is going to come drop the 2x 32M trees at their cost  which would be about $1500 worth in my estimation so that was quite the bonus.

A solar farm here would be a real Flop. I could put in a Mw worth of panels and get about 50 Kw out of it at any given time. On a good summers day.  :-[

As for my place, The back yard is clear enough, only take one tree to come down but I would like to stay married, she is a damn good woman that's put up with me this long so I think I prefer my current living arrangements to a solar farm. :0)

It's slightly less efficient than current equipment, but continues to make an environmental contribution, rather than being a disposal issue.

I know you despise the 'greenwashed' but they will be failing over themselves to support a bloke that is using perfectly serviceable kit to save the planet rather than burying in landfill to poison it.

These 2 things go together perfectly in my mind.

I am NOT against the green initiative/ look after the planet mindset at all. In fact, it is exactly why I am so against and intolerant of the green washing.  It's the Bullshit profit agenda riding on the back of a noble worthwhile cause such as that environment that pisses me off no end.  And the thing we have here with panels is perfect case in point.

Everything I have in my solar setups, Including the new inverters I have , is basically Illegal/ non compliant, even though it has YEARS left of life left in it. Had I not intercepted it and given the rules and regs the Middle finger. all this stuff would have been wasted.
I don't think many people have the time on their hands I do or look into things the same way.
Making panels is a filthy, polluting, energy intensive Business. Many say panels pay themselves back over their life time but that should be 20 years not the 5 to 7 years tops of the panels I have and deal with.

I'm as naive as all get out as well demonstrated here but I thought the whole goddam idea of these things was to help the environment with non co2 emitting power generation and all that good stuff. The reality like so many other things called " Green" is that we ( the planet) would be better off having never made these things at all. He are fed bullshit endlessly that these are wonderful things to stop using coal and polluting the atmosphere but that is complete bullshit if the things do do at LEAST 20 years.

That to be is the perfect example of greenwashing.

In reality, I'd LOVE to build a used panel/ Discarded solar farm to show what a crock this is.  The thing is, while another example of green washing is that solar power is cheaper, which it's is NOT, -MY- solar farm WOULD be profitable.
I have actually looked into small scale solar farms here.  Basically, not a hope in hell.  The corruption of the power co's and the approval organizations/ Gubbermint depts they have in their pocket mean even a pleb like me can see it's a pipe dream.
I have followed a number of endeavors in this dept here and it's pretty clear they will just screw you over any way they can.  An end one is to approve the facility and then pay something like 3C kwh to make it completely nonviable.
From what I have looked at, it happens not just here but in many parts of the world. Canada seems to be the most Micro generation friendly from what I can tell.

A month or so jumping through bureaucratic hoops and being in the local media whilst pretending to be greenwashed yourself and you'll be making money for the rest of your life.

I agree with you in part, the media pushing the green aspect would be the ONLY thing to get you through. Standards and Compliance would almost be irrelevant.  I also think it would take a lot more than a month though.

Just don't forget it was my idea and 10% of the profit isn't very much....

Cheers
Stef

I have always said my goal in life was to pay a Million dollars a year Tax. If I'm paying that much, I have got a clever accountant on the payroll thats probably got me paying 5 cents in the dollar so I'm rolling in it!

I'lll be more than happy to pay your 10% and put you on staff at $200K a year as the ideas and inspiration director.   ;D