Puppeteer

Author Topic: Aircooled VA version  (Read 5193 times)

snail

• View Profile
Aircooled VA version
« on: July 06, 2006, 11:39:43 AM »
       Came across some info(dated 1976) on the air cooled version of the 8/1, otherwise known as the VA.It appears to share most of the dimensions of it's watercooled brother except for the obvious.Has anyone got any photo's of these monsters? I'd imagine it's a noisy and ugly brute but it's listed as using 10% less fuel and 30% less lube oil than the kettle version.I assume it's pulling a big fan which makes the fuel efficiency  even more surprising. Presumably everything runs a bit hotter without the water, which must help.Did this cause any other problems? I'd guess that they weren't too popular judging by the current scarcity.Do our Indian brethren make them?
      Don't worry,I'm not going to glue fins on mine ;) , just interested.

Cheers

Brian

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: Aircooled VA version
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2006, 01:06:01 PM »
From memory the VA had "radiation warning sign" design flywheels, which may, or may not have been cast with pitch to make them shift air.  Saw one buried in a field once but never actually seen one running.

--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

tnorvold

• View Profile
    • Brookville Trading Company, LLC
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2006, 01:52:17 PM »
I ran across an original air cooled lister in an Amish shop about a year ago running a line shaft for some woodworking equipment.  It was no louder than the air cooled version.  This one had one flywheel all shrouded up and it forced air over or through the cylinder fins.  Not sure if the flywheel was the fan or if it had a separate fan on the crank.
-Tryg

Doug

« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2006, 01:57:58 PM »
Yes there is an India air cooled Lister clone. Mike Montieth's website has a manual for the GM 90 that shows pictures of it. If I remember right it was axel fan cooled. The CPR also used to buy air cooled Listers, big one but I can't remeber what they were just enough to say I remeber they were big thumpers.

Doug

Ken

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
Are the air cooled listers as reliable as the water cooled ones?
What is the noise difference between the water and air cooled models
Thanks
Ken

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2006, 01:11:50 AM »
The amish around here have several aircooled listers.  The smaller ones without a load (they use a 3 or 4 horse to run home made ice cream freezers at their auctions, so not much of a load, just put along)  are not that bad as far as noise but still louder than a cs.  The fellow that I deal with has a 2 cylinder of about 20~hp running two air compressor and a hydraulic pump and it is ear splitting loud, I am sure the compressors however add to the din but even when they cut out it is loud.  They use air motors/hydraulic motors to run all their machine tools because they cant use electricity.  They have been using it about 10 years 6 days a week 5-7 hours a day with no problems but they are getting loose and hard to start now. 
« Last Edit: July 07, 2006, 04:06:20 AM by Firebrick »

snail

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 12:30:39 AM »
Yep, I was right in my original assertion... pig ugly! :D

http://www.oldengine.org/members/diesel/Technical/Startomatic1.htm

listeroidsusa

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 03:20:13 AM »
I have only imported one air cooled Listeroid as a sample. It ran well but was noisier than the water cooled version. The main thing I didn't like about it was that it was extremely cold natured. Even after running for an hour it still hadn't warmed up to the point that it didn't smoke.

Mike