Puppeteer

Author Topic: Brand new Lister CS' in crates at auction.  (Read 23417 times)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Brand new Lister CS' in crates at auction.
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2015, 11:43:25 PM »
Pricing?  I would have to guess minimum $5,000 a copy. But there may be factors unknown - to drive that number up substantially. Personally, for my own collection, the number does not matter too much. We can hope that there are not too many of us competing with a "sky is the limit" philosophy!  :o

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 03:28:18 AM »
Yea, I cant go, but I would pay up to 5 Grand for an engine in the crate.  I retire next year...why does this kind of thing always happen at the wrong time! :'(
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 02:58:10 PM by TxBlacksmith »

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2015, 03:47:04 PM »
Pricing?  I would have to guess minimum $5,000 a copy. But there may be factors unknown - to drive that number up substantially. Personally, for my own collection, the number does not matter too much. We can hope that there are not too many of us competing with a "sky is the limit" philosophy!  :o

dieselgman
what do you think about the 12/2 it seems they are slightly used as well as a couple of singles?
I am not buying for resale, if you pay five grand a piece you think there is much room for profit ? Granted your not likely to see many more listers in the crate but as someone said earlier take it out and start it and you have a used lister and a used price

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2015, 04:46:44 PM »
I have been talking with the heirs to the estate... but the information I have is a little bit confusing. It is frustrating in general since we have been in touch with them already for a considerable time now. I understand that they are doing everything they can to maximize their profits from the sale - perfectly understandable. They appear to be keeping ahold of some of the equipment including a portion of the Lister engines that are out and running. The 5k$ is just a guess... I am prepared to pay quite a bit more than that - especially for the twins. But who knows? Beauty (and Value) is totally in the eye of the beholder. These could easily be worth 10k$ or more to the right collector/s. That said... if the auction people are even a little bit sketchy, I may get ticked off and tell them to take a hike! I have a bunch of engines and parts to retrieve up in Wyoming mining country anyway on this trip and only so much tonnage can be pulled at one time.

Crated vs uncrated-and-run values? The fully prepared and running engine will be worth more... we are NOT buying automobiles here! Only close inspection will tell how well the climate has been controlled and whether condensation was ever a factor in storage on these things. An engine that has been in service will generally fare much better in storage than one that is lacking lubrication and subject to any kind of rust or corrosion. These have been stored 30+ years.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:57:25 PM by dieselgman »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2015, 01:54:04 PM »
Auction events like this can be a circus and sadly this one has all the makings as Gary has eluded.  That is not a smack on anyone here or other prospective buyers due to the size of their individual piles of spending money.  Don't be surprised by anything come sale day and I am not talking about sale prices,,,,, I will be quiet on that subject before my tongue gets me in trouble.

A person with high expectations better have deep pockets. There is interest in the crated engines going back across the pond and knowing who is involved my bet is that is where they will be headed 8).

Also don't spend your entire stash bidding as the auction company will be adding another 10% to your purchase price just for giggles.

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

billswan

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 12:37:18 PM »

Also don't spend your entire stash bidding as the auction company will be adding another 10% to your purchase price just for giggles.

10% WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ABOUT??    wow that auctioneer is totally out of control who gets the 10% and why? If that is true it would make me stay home for sure!!

16/1 Metro  in the harness choking on WMO ash!!

10/1 OMEGA failed that nasty WMO ash ate it

By the way what is your cylinder index?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 12:46:11 PM »

10% WHAT THE HECK IS THAT ABOUT??    wow that auctioneer is totally out of control who gets the 10% and why? If that is true it would make me stay home for sure!!

It's called "buyers premium" It is becoming more common at auctions, at least in my part of the world.   Its a ploy to bilk shallow thinkers out of a few more dollars, simple as that.  You win an engine for $5,000 it costs you $5500 when you cash out.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 01:14:41 PM »
That 10% premium does apply to this auction... and it will be 15% if you participate online. You could consider it an additional tax and you just need to keep it in mind when bidding to keep your price within your desired range.

As long as I have been participating auctions, more than 40 + years now, I have known that the auction business is often run just like a circus. The buyer is known as the "Mark", the action goes on in the "Ring", and so on etc... No big deal as long as you take control of your own decision making and watch out for the mis-leading traps set for the unwary.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:18:54 PM by dieselgman »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 02:44:05 PM »
The attempt at play on the mind being the bidder who has a certain price in mind will bid that price not worrying about the 10% add on at the cashier.  The large minded keep that in mind and stop early 10% early.

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 11:04:42 PM »
When the hammer fell on the Crossley piano base slide valve engine last year it was at $330,000U.S. plus 10% buyer uptick. I venture to say the premium paid to secure that engine would probably buy most of the Listers at Iowa.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2015, 11:13:53 PM »
Gotta love it.
The chance of "the average guy".......slim to none...
I'd like to have a real lister.......but I'd like to have a GT40 too !

The results of the auction,  I'm sure, will be interesting.
My money is they will "go home".

Just my 2 cents,
Gary

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 11:46:21 PM by 32 coupe »
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

contaucreek

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 11:50:39 AM »
One more sleep until the day of reckoning.
L.E.F. Dip #1 Threadstopper Extraordinaire

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 25, 2015, 01:36:09 PM »
Don't keep us hanging,

Let the guys on the east side of the pond know how the story ends!!

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Jake65mm

• View Profile
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 05:36:43 PM »
hello,
this is my first post on this site.
I was bidding on the listers for sale at this auction and Won one of the 12/2 on there. Any Idea why the second engine only went for 5k? I was expecting it to go for way more?
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:52:15 PM by Jake65mm »

honda lee

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 06:01:07 PM »
Well the auction is over, I suspect Gary bought all but one for the 8/1s went for between 5,400 and 6,600
The 12/2 s one went for around 8,500 to someone on line and the second one sold for 5100 or 5,200
I could not justify that much money  for something that I wanted to put to use. It would have been nice but at least I still have a few dollars to console me