Author Topic: I am VINDICATED !!!!  (Read 14739 times)

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: I am VINDICATED !!!!
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2015, 03:27:31 PM »

Wow !

Unfortunately that is the case. The majority of people do not have a clue how to make things work when the grid is absent.
In an extended outage, the biggest threat is "other people", not the outage itself.
There seems to be no preparedness mindset and a total reliance on the "system".

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2015, 07:41:05 PM »
Thank God my nearest neighbours are a mile in one direction and 6 miles in the other. 
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2015, 04:59:50 AM »
Wow.........it was the beginning of October when I first posted this. Been busy with a dozen other "winterizing projects" and just now getting back to my Listeroid.

glort.......I know what you mean about people and their attitude. All of a sudden you owe them EVERYTHING just because they say so. Evidently you fail to understand that they're "SPECIAL".  Brother................

Anyway, a quick update....
To get away from the extension cord routine, I did the following:

Reactivated the abandoned 10 ga. 220v. electric water heater feed from my garage to the main panel, placing a male 5-20P in the garage wall and labelled it "generator..30 amps max". A lockout at the main panel prevents that specific 30 amp breaker from being engaged unless the main is disconnected. That breaker heats up only four circuits that are designated for the generator, comprised of lights, refrigerator, freezer and some outlets if needed. The last touch was a 12 ga. cord with appopriate 20 amp plug and receptacle (20 amps max from my generator). It ended up being a nice, clean installation, using stuff that was already in place.

My total output is only 2500 watts, so usage would be monitored and load sharing if needed.....but I think it's more than enough for a day or two.

Looks good! One problem........with all the other stuff I've had to do I haven't had the time to actually test everything. Guess I'd better make the time in the next few days, then I'll feel a little more comfortable.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2015, 05:03:01 AM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2015, 07:49:50 PM »
My Changfoid "the great walla walla xing dong" is a star in the whole neighborhood, not only at home after the last ice storm that lasted 4 days. So much so that I now have 3 changfoids
and a listeroid, a Kohler 5k gas unit, and two  2 cycle units, one a horrible freight, and the other a "rare" 1960's 700 watt unit.
 ;D My Wife thinks that I'm a Hero!   
All because of a rust addiction. ::) well she calls it junk, but useful.
Ron.
I hope I can keep her fooled.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 10, 2015, 08:06:38 PM »
You can be comforted that she probable thinks the same of you.
Tom

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 10, 2015, 08:11:10 PM »
You can be comforted that she probable thinks the same of you.

Bwahahahahaha! :D
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2015, 09:32:16 PM »
Thanks!  I needed a good laugh.
It's just a little close to home ,though. ;D
After 32 years, I am very well aware that I am "expendable".
Ron.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 09:37:04 PM by vdubnut62 »
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2015, 02:13:54 PM »
Ya Ron, number 1 was always giving me the high eye when I spended money on the rattle bang Changfa/ST generator  set UNTIL, we had a near 60 hour outage and she was basking in her central A/C while the neighbors was out on the font porch sweating!

Now she has it marked on her calendar and once a month she reminds me it's time to test run the generator!  Actually she is in love with the generator now and only puts up with me only because I know how to start it and maintain it.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2015, 05:06:57 PM »
Be careful if she asks you to write instructions on how to run it. That task is actually on my honey do list right now. It's been 30 years of marital bliss just this September.
Tom

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2015, 05:54:08 PM »
HA! I haven't even told her it's electric start capable, and she can't crank it. ::) Actually I've never tried the electric start either.- A real man always has an Ace up his sleeve. Yeah, a man real uneasy about my place in the food chain. :-[      Go Tom! 32 here the day after Christmas. It's gotta be the lost puppy syndrome, she feels sorry for me and is afraid I'll starve on my own.
Ron.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2015, 05:59:15 PM by vdubnut62 »

rmchambers

• View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2015, 10:06:00 PM »
It's a neat feeling isn't it!

My foray into backup power was a 3600 Watt Trace inverter and 4 golf cart batteries I got off a guy 20 miles up the coast.  Got a good deal and he threw the batteries in for nothing (he'd never have shipped them).

I played with it for a bit and worked out a place for it to live and got another set of 4 Trojan T-125's for it (spent more on those than the inverter) and Hurricane Irene showed up and knocked out power for 3 1/2 days.  I ran on the first set of batteries (fridge, freezer, some lights, TV, etc) and that ran out in around a day.  The second (new) set lasted 2 days and at which point the house got quiet again.  I basically said to the family "don't open the fridge and hope the power comes back on soon" and in about 6 hours it did, so we didn't lose any food.

That started me on my way towards getting a generator too, at first I looked into Listeroids which is why I frequent this fine site, but eventually I decided on an Onan single cylinder 3000w watercooled Diesel (MDJA) and bought that for $200.  It was a sad state of affairs but I took it apart and cleaned it all up, etched it and sanded and primed and painted.  Replaced the injector pump which I got from a guy on the Onan group over at smokestak (good folks there much like the people here, very helpful).  It took me a few months and a lot of garage space to finish the restoration.

I did get the "when are you going to get rid of that thing"   (not) "It's smelly"  (so?)  "we never lose power" (yet)  "what are those batteries for? (what happens when they run out)  "I might back my car into it"   (I wouldn't recommend it, you will smash your car up and won't hurt the generator"  so it lived on a dolly between the two car spaces in the garage...

Then Hurricane Sandy hit!   after the initial storm hit, the power went off and we went dark (around 7pm at night if I recall)  I got the house going on the inverter (had replaced the original battery set by then) and since I have an oil fired hot water heater we could put the kids in the shower etc.  Next morning I got up (still no power)  got the generator out of the garage and fired it up.  While it was warming up I pulled the cord to the house and plugged the inverter into it so now the little Onan was running the house AND recharging the batteries.  Brewed up some coffee and then had my nice hot shower.  I don't care how rough you're living if you can start your day off with a hot coffee and a nice hot shower, you're not doing too bad.

This went on for a week (we were out of power for 6 1/2 days) and that little Onan never skipped a beat.  I ran it out of fuel once and a safety oil pressure sense line fatigued off and that dropped the decomp solenoid.  Both of those were easy fixes.  I ran a cord to my neighbor the first day to chill his fridge down but said long term he probably ought to take his stuff to his brother in law who still had power. 

Once the power came back on and life was good we were at the in-laws and my wife's sister lamented on how bad things were in Jersey and they had no power for 7 days and had to bug out to my inlaws beachfront condo.  "what did you guys do?"    and my wife said "oh we were fine, we ran our generator and didn't lose anything, still had hot showers and TV (dish network).   I gave her a funny look and said "Oh it's OUR generator now??? that stinky thing you wanted me to get rid of is OUR generator???"   vindication indeed!

I don't get the entitlement of the other neighbor though, that's damned rude if you ask me.  There's nothing fair or not about having some forethought to set yourself up with alternate power.

Robert

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 17, 2015, 08:18:02 PM »
During power outages the first thing I do after firing up the gen set. Is to turn on every inside and outside light so the neighbours know we have power and that they don't .

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 21, 2015, 04:59:59 PM »
During power outages the first thing I do after firing up the gen set. Is to turn on every inside and outside light so the neighbours know we have power and that they don't .

Man, I LIKE the way you think......kind of "devious"  ;D Heh, heh, heh.

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #28 on: December 02, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »
  and my wife said "oh we were fine, we ran our generator and didn't lose anything, still had hot showers and TV (dish network).   I gave her a funny look and said "Oh it's OUR generator now??? that stinky thing you wanted me to get rid of is OUR generator???"   vindication indeed!

In my family, I am the technical guy, but my wife is the "prepper". She was 100% onboard with the Lister, the Subaru generator, the Honda generator and so on. We have had our share of multi month long power outages after the hurricanes. And, she knew we had better set up our house during construction. We make a good team.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 04, 2015, 04:17:43 AM »
  and my wife said "oh we were fine, we ran our generator and didn't lose anything, still had hot showers and TV (dish network).   I gave her a funny look and said "Oh it's OUR generator now??? that stinky thing you wanted me to get rid of is OUR generator???"   vindication indeed!

In my family, I am the technical guy, but my wife is the "prepper". She was 100% onboard with the Lister, the Subaru generator, the Honda generator and so on. We have had our share of multi month long power outages after the hurricanes. And, she knew we had better set up our house during construction. We make a good team.

Wow! You married a Unicorn!
Ron.