Author Topic: When a Listeroid is no longer a Listeroid  (Read 11790 times)

altopro

• View Profile
    • altopro.ca
Re: When a Listeroid is no longer a Listeroid
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 01:52:58 AM »
The air compressor idea is a good one GuyFawkes  ;D  Also, I wonder if these engine would make a good piston water pump? Many old piston water pump look like engines. It's not that I really want to pump water with my Lister block but still, I think it would work at customs saying that, plus it could probably be done for real.

Also, what about the Military engine way??? Just thinking out loud... People buy all kind of surplus (non-EPA) military engines. As far as I know they are still considered military engines after being released to the civilian world. In 10 years or so, the military will be selling large amount of non-EPA surplus engines. Does a military engine needs to be owned by the military? And what about ordering a foreign Military engine like people do for Unimogs... I'm pretty sure the Indian military must be using Listeroids and Petteroids. Actually, I think the US and Canadian military do have some Lister-Petter brand engines for pumps and power generations... Ok, no one will try this one but it's weird that a government is the only one that doesn't need to follow it's own regulations. Ya, I know fighting the Terrorists is always a good reason for doing anything. I bet you the military probably has more non-EPA engines than the number of Listeroids in USA right now.

About the EPA folks. I don't think they have ressources for going after the illegal Listeroids out there! What does the typical EPA enforcement officer looks like? If they do exist, they probably have enough job searching for real pollution like around factories, power plants. Also, they must be very busy making sure all engine manufacturers comply... As far as I know, no one is concerned about the UL officers finding their non-UL certified ST head.  EPA is a regulation office, not the FBI.  :-X

Just my 2 cents.
Pat Ricard
altopro.ca
Engines and tools!
I do ship to USA

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 03:01:53 AM »
The air compressor idea is a good one GuyFawkes  ;D 

Yeah, but it's MINE and I'm gonna PATENT it and SUE evryone.... lmao

Seriously, I have seen old "worthless" engines, some of them listers, converted to air compressors rather than being scrapped because it was easier than smashing them up and carting them off.

No way to fault it, you can make a 2 stroke out of any compressor you like.
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 05:48:30 AM »
as a mechanic, the listeroid kit makes alot of sense to me.

here  i can get a partial engine that has not been run, (thank god), disassemble it,
and blue print the damn thing the way i want it in the first place.

i am convinced that this is the only real way of getting a quality long lasting engine from india.

think about it, a partial engine that has not been run, likely will not have any damage, careful disassembly
cleaning, inspection, honeing and polishing then reassembled correctly.

nice option

with these kit engines at least 99% of the machining is already done, the last 1% anyone with some inclination can get there and have a good engine in the process.

will it be as good as an original, maybe, perhaps, the only difference then would be the material it is made of.
i would suppose hard liners are available, certainly high quality tapered brgs are available, high quality springs and fasteners are available.

i am excited about it, and i don't figure the EPA is going to waste time and resources prosecuting an individual for doing one.
considering that it takes as much time and money to prosecute one little guy with a listeroid as it does to prosecute a manufacture.

i aint old enough to have been a rum runner, bootlegger, or that sort of thing
and i am too old and hopefully too smart to be a drug runner or dealer
but one engine or two for my own consumption, hell ya
by the time they catch me, i would be old enough to need their support anyway, :)

i can hear it now, "hey buddy what are you in for?"
"i'm doing 5 to 10 for a listeroid" ooooooohh!
better watch out for me, i wont stab ya, but i might drop a flywheel on your head
too funny :)

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 05:59:16 AM »
  I was a Deputy Sherriff for about five years a long time ago....looking back on it, I'd never have caught ANY body if it wasn't for their guilty conscience tipping me off.

My neighbor Hershel used to say, "I just acted as naturally ignorant as I could and ask a couple REALLY stupid questions and he let me GO!"

I could make a mint off the book I'd write (all comedy) about the day the EPA showed up to take my Listeroid!!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 01:30:35 PM »
Guys why not just buy an orignial if you can't get a roid?  its not that hard or expensive to buy overseas and ship to North America.

I'm hoping to have mine here in about 2 weeks... will post lots of pictures on my web site
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 02:36:46 PM »
"Guys why not just buy an orignial if you can't get a roid? "

if i couldnt get a roid, i probably still would go with a kit or whatever it took, reasons....

1. i am a bit funny when it comes to old iron, if i had a startomatic, i would probably want to restore it and not use it
as it was designed to be used. probably would just want to sit it in the living room and look at it.

2. i like the challenge of a listeroid kit, i feel i am mechanically inclined enough to handle the project.

3. This EPA thing was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak, they say everyone has their breaking point
and this is mine.  As Thoreau wrote there is a time for civil disobedience, and to me the time has come.
i didnt ask for it, the war showed up at my door.

"game on buddy"

so pick up your wrenches, man the

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info