Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister Petter TR2 1992  (Read 18832 times)

South Prairie Larr

• View Profile
Re: Lister Petter TR2 1992
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2007, 06:45:39 AM »
Well it took a good rainy Sunday afternoon got the TR2 back together oiled up, bleed the fuel system and started it up for a half minute run. Needs a muffler, wiring safety shut downs and a good isolation mounting as it shook the house 30' away from the shop. Larry

South Prairie Larr

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2007, 07:11:23 AM »
Well here I go again talking to my self. Got a small glass pack welded on a short stem for $ 52.00 and bolted to the exhaust manifold. Still to loud. Wired up High temp, low oil pressure, to shut down fuel solenoid, on off switch and start button.  Ran it a while but It was walking around the shop.  Set the unit on a piece of plywood setting on an old truck tire, that stopped it from walking around until I get a stand with rubber isolation mounts. Left the cylinder head covers off to make sure the oil was getting to the valve rockers then put them on. On to the generator end Its a Marathon MAC Brushless AC Synchronous 12 lead, adjusted engine speed to make 125 volts @ 59.6 HZ with a small load, will have to dial it in on a full load.   Thats it for now  Larry

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2015, 04:33:37 AM »
Hi, sorry for the time delay replying back ::) We are visiting my sisters and my brother in law has owned numerouse tr2 and tr3,s over the years since they live too far away for power lines to be brought in. he just had a 2 generator failure in the same day. Main tr2 after several hours of farting around we realized that the camshaft broke some where around the #4 push rod. it would run but just die all of a sudden. Back up genny had a spring break on the #2 fuel pump so it stayed in the no fuel position. After talking with the brother in law I realized what may have lead up to genny#1 camshaft failure, his oil servicing interval. He changes his oil every 30 days not every 250 hrs. he runs his gennies continuosely so it should be every 10 days not every 30. guess he shouldn't complain tho since he usually gets between 27,000 and 35,000 hrs out of a tr2 or tr3.

Derek
Still working on finding a lister gennie.
Derek

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2015, 05:19:40 AM »
Those are quite good run times for the TR series... Lister boosted the horsepower on these while reducing the mass (and strength) of some of the internals. You are perfectly correct about the oil change intervals needing to be short - 250 hours would be great. Broken camshafts are only a very rare occurrence though, maybe they were having bushing failures to allow too much flexing in the shafts? Broken linkage springs and such - very common in these as they rely on a pretty chintzy steel wire linkage system. Tons of vibration inside one of these diesels. Most of them we overhaul require complete replacements for the linkage pieces.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2015, 01:22:23 AM »
Hi Dieselgman.

my brotherin law fixed the linkage by back woods ingenuity,lol. its back as a back up genie, His new genny is a lister petter 3 cyl liquid cooled beast,lol. the old main one is waiting to be rebuilt when he gets a few extra $$ after he finishes up the honey do list, :D.

Derek
Derek

mactoollover2005

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2015, 01:32:03 AM »
When we were looking at the tr2 it was about 2 hours of messing around that we figured out how to remove the front cover with the handle pin still attached, we just punched the frt camshaft seal in and removed the cover. as much as we tried to remove the pin before removing the cover we couldn't. we could only see half the pin thru the top cover hole since the camshaft had moved about a 3/4" inwards of the block. once we had removed the cover we turned the camshaft one way a few full turns no prob except for a little crunch that we couldn't find but when we turned the camshaft the other way we heard a popping/ cracking sound from the # 4 pushrod area and the exhaust valve jumped thru its travel instead of being smooth, hence the diagnoses of a pooched camshaft.

Derek
Derek