Author Topic: starting petter ph2  (Read 8585 times)

dieselspanner

• View Profile
Re: starting petter ph2
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2019, 06:57:34 PM »
Sounds promising that you can get it past TDC.

If you can split the decompressors you'll stand more of a chance, leave one cylinder decommressed, wind it forward to TDC on the second and ease it over the top. Take a deep breath and give it your best shot over two turns, using the last of your effort to get it 'over the top'.

If it doesn't kick back rinse and repeat 'til it fires and runs.

If it don't, try again using the other cylinder.

If that fails it's out spanners........

The French heating oil lights off better than veg oil but not as well as 'white' diesel from the pump. might be worth running on dino diesel, given how little you'll burn.

Finally, where abouts in France are you? I'm just below the ski resort of La Mongie in the Haute Pyrenees.

Cheers
Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: starting petter ph2 - Stef will strip it down
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2019, 10:30:40 PM »
Ian M and Stef

First forgive me my umble honesty.

Xtmas gone, and I want to wish the very best to you for next year, specially for Ian M to take all efforts to start his PH2.

At first glance I thought Stef's post where a contamination, perhaps geted in a few vacacions days in AU (writing more than 5... 10 lines).

IMMO, that PH2 must be striped down to see his what kind of disease it got. liver, kidneys, bladder, stomach, you name it.........

A PH2 MUST, AND I MEAN IT MUST, be a crank and go. If not strip it down.

Have a nice time.
VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 27, 2019, 03:27:30 AM »
It is beginning to sound promising and the link to the workshop manual is a must for you to have so hopefully you have this one too.
Glorts initial reply was correct add a bit of water and your reply that can be scarey was correct but it was clarified by Stef the safe way to do that and it is one step I certainly would try especially after that extra information about sparks (hot coke) coming out the exhaust, this is most likely the big issue.
With your fuel system, completely drain every drop out and add some fresh diesel from the fuel bowser of some quality not some fish n chip grade stuff.  If you intend to pull the injectors then pull both and while they are out is a good time to replace all of the fuel in the system and fuel filter as it is easier to turn the engine over with them out then in. The system will bleed quicker and once it is at the injector you will then hopefully see a lovely super fine spray. If this is the case simply wipe them over and replace. Not sure if there is a copper seal under the injectors but check this with the manual. If there is find the old ones as they maybe still down the hole and replace them. If no new ones are available carefully remove them and heat them with a LPG flame and allow them to cool naturally. This will soften or anneal them and help make a good seal again.
Each day I read here there are extra bits of info being put forward to help you out and it is all good and sounds like there maybe big positive progress soon. Keep us informed.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

Ian M

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2019, 07:54:52 PM »
Sounds promising that you can get it past TDC.

If you can split the decompressors you'll stand more of a chance, leave one cylinder decommressed, wind it forward to TDC on the second and ease it over the top. Take a deep breath and give it your best shot over two turns, using the last of your effort to get it 'over the top'.

If it doesn't kick back rinse and repeat 'til it fires and runs.

If it don't, try again using the other cylinder.

If that fails it's out spanners........

The French heating oil lights off better than veg oil but not as well as 'white' diesel from the pump. might be worth running on dino diesel, given how little you'll burn.

Finally, where abouts in France are you? I'm just below the ski resort of La Mongie in the Haute Pyrenees.

Cheers
Stef

Hi I think I will clean out tank when changing fuel filter and try some good clean white diesel, it could have a mix of all sorts in it,
I am near Agen in the Lot et Garonne so not that far from you
Ian

Ian M

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2019, 08:24:09 PM »
It is beginning to sound promising and the link to the workshop manual is a must for you to have so hopefully you have this one too.
Glorts initial reply was correct add a bit of water and your reply that can be scarey was correct but it was clarified by Stef the safe way to do that and it is one step I certainly would try especially after that extra information about sparks (hot coke) coming out the exhaust, this is most likely the big issue.
With your fuel system, completely drain every drop out and add some fresh diesel from the fuel bowser of some quality not some fish n chip grade stuff.  If you intend to pull the injectors then pull both and while they are out is a good time to replace all of the fuel in the system and fuel filter as it is easier to turn the engine over with them out then in. The system will bleed quicker and once it is at the injector you will then hopefully see a lovely super fine spray. If this is the case simply wipe them over and replace. Not sure if there is a copper seal under the injectors but check this with the manual. If there is find the old ones as they maybe still down the hole and replace them. If no new ones are available carefully remove them and heat them with a LPG flame and allow them to cool naturally. This will soften or anneal them and help make a good seal again.
Each day I read here there are extra bits of info being put forward to help you out and it is all good and sounds like there maybe big positive progress soon. Keep us informed.
Is was the same manual I had found on another place a great help to have as it gives so much information if only the things you bought today had the same and not a slip of paper badly translated from Chinese, but then will any of them be around in fifty years time ? will they still work in 50 weeks?
But back to the engine, I think with all the help I have been given we have come a long way to working out what the problems might be, I thought I know a bit about engines, I had never can across engines being cleaned out with water but looking at the manual the pistons  have a recess in the top of  them, this most likely is full of carbon, which will change the compression and also mess up the flow inside cylinders, I am working this week but hope to find a bit of time to get the filters on order so I can have a go in the new year, I will let you know how I get on
Ian

cobbadog

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 28, 2019, 10:23:48 AM »
Sounds nice and positive. Don't work too hard, you will need our strength when you get back to the engine.

Around here, there are many things that were built in China and the instructions which I claim to be almost destructions are as clear s mud. At least my Chinglish is improving at times, if not my swearing certainly does.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.