Author Topic: Injector Pump Not Pumping  (Read 4363 times)

650rpm

• View Profile
    • My Listeroid CS Photo Album
Injector Pump Not Pumping
« on: July 20, 2015, 07:20:28 PM »
So after sitting a few years my Listeroid 6/1 Bosch Pump was all gummed up from straight biodiesel left in it. I soaked it overnight in Xylene and it freed it all right up and everything seemed to be moving freely. The first odd thing I noticed was if I screw the drain screw in the back all the way it stopped the rack from moving, so I figured a rubber washer must have been there and disintegrated so I added a rubber washer... Well I was going through all the steps to get air out and all went fine until I got to the last step where I connected the hard injector line. Turning the engine over nothing pumps, no fuel comes out. Now if I remove the top bolt and take out the spring and turn the engine, the small part in there pops up like normal and fuel wells up and overflows, but if i assemble it all then nothing pumps. So Im wondering what happened. Was there more rubber parts in there that disintegrated? It does seem now that the small part (I believe its the delivery valve) in the top that the spring sits on is looser now, it pops up and  comes out easy. I never noticed that happening before. Im wondering if that back screw isn't just a drain but it also holds something in place? Any information comments and advice welcome here.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Injector Pump Not Pumping
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2015, 09:59:24 PM »
The "back" screw you mention is the retainer for the pump barrel. It is not a drain point. It sounds like you have allowed the pump barrel to get out of position. With the screw loose, you will need to rotate the barrel until the alignment slot allows the retainer screw to turn all the way in without binding. There should not be any rubber parts involved at all.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

650rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2015, 12:46:56 AM »
Thank You I found the place where theres no binding. Now the Rack moves but not as freely as it should though. When I place the fuel delivery handle in run position, the rack doesnt move on its own, I have to move it myself. With the top screw and spring out I can see now the "barrel" stays still and through the center I see whats below (plunger is it?) turns with the rack, but like I said still kinda gummed up feeling. Guess I have to soak it a little longer. The way it is now I might get it to pump fuel a couple times normally but never regularlly enough to clear the hard injector line of air and get a clink.

650rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2015, 01:52:21 AM »
If I look through the banjo bolt hole as theres a hole in the barrel facing the banjo bolt hole. It seems in that spot the barrel hold screw in the back goes in (the hole must go all the way through to the other side) and only holds the barrel from turning. Hope this description is understandable. Does it sound correct?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2015, 02:15:50 AM »
The hole you can see allow fuel to enter the barrel. The slotted alignment hole on the back side normally only goes part way through - enough to fit the screw.

It sounds like you need to further free-up the plunger and barrel fit. They can also be replaced to rebuild the pump.

dieselgman

650rpm

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2015, 12:16:02 AM »
Thank you Dieselgman for your advice. I got the engine running. Just a little fuel weeping around the rack but nothing to be concerned with.

Now i have another problem to figure out. At 650rpm I am getting only 105volts 58 hz with my ST5 head. Im getting my measurements from a Tiny Tach and a KillaWatt.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2015, 02:28:50 AM »
You can of course adjust your governor to bring up to 60 or 61 Hz very easily...

Does your ST5 have the AVR? If so, then a little adjustment can be made to the control pots - should be able to put out around 120vac on frequency. If no AVR, then I suggest referring to CGG, Tom Osborne - as he sells a lot of these and does a very nice job with support issues.

dieselgman