Puppeteer

Author Topic: 3k st alternator just stopped mid work  (Read 42385 times)

tyssniffen

• View Profile
Re: 3k st alternator just stopped mid work
« Reply #90 on: November 08, 2015, 10:53:31 PM »
yes, this thing was not in the most protected environment for a number of years. of course, now, it is.  

so I'm hearing, replace the stator windings (who does that?? )   OR get a completely new Alternator.  

I've certainly looked at Utterpower's PMG, but I'm hoping for other specific suggestions:  what should I get and who should I get it from?

--- I use my 6/1 for BACKUP for my off-grid  (full time) home.  That is, in the winter, from November to March, I like to bump up my battery bank because the solar panels aren't getting the long love from the sun.  I also use this thing for power tool usage.  That ends up being about a 5 hour stretch, once a week for 4 months, max.  80 hours a year.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2015, 11:17:28 PM by tyssniffen »
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 08, 2015, 11:14:46 PM »
@tyssniffen:
If you can find an Utterpower PMG, get it!
No doubt you have read the specs, but if not, here is a link to general information which contains other links to specs and ordering info I think no longer available though.
I am fortunate to be using one of these, in fact, right now. A great piece of machinery, very high grade. Essentially nothing to fail, just run it at the rated RPM to give proper frequency.
Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 08, 2015, 11:19:55 PM »
yeah, looks like I'm screwed on the ideal product, as George doesn't seem to be doing them anymore.  so, what are the alternatives (ha. get it?)
6/1 with 2 tank for WVO.  pushing power into off-grid house battery bank, in winter.

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 09, 2015, 12:24:02 AM »
@tyssniffen....Yes not in production any more. He could no longer get high grade magnets. Too bad, because these were mission critical items.
They were designed for guys like us that needed a reliable and long lived unit for off-gridding. Don't know where you are, but I get a lot less sun here in the Pacific Northwest at this time of year. I usually run about 2 hours a day to top off my batteries. Sometimes a bit more if using shop tools a lot, sometimes a bit less if we get a look at the sun.
I will PM you
Cheers.
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 09, 2015, 02:44:55 AM »
The problem is finding a somewhat better 4 pole (1800 rpm) generator head at a reasonable price.  I haven't seen one.  I'm hardly in love with ST heads, but Marathon is way outside my budget.   Stamford doesn't make a 3-5KW size.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #95 on: November 09, 2015, 06:35:20 PM »
What about scavenging a alternator from a trashed 3600 rpm screamer ?  Generally, the engines die, and the alt is likely still OK.   You would have to get a mounting plate and a pulley together for it though.

tyssniffen

• View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 10, 2015, 05:44:49 AM »
What about scavenging a alternator from a trashed 3600 rpm screamer ?  Generally, the engines die, and the alt is likely still OK.   You would have to get a mounting plate and a pulley together for it though.

hm. that's probably more project than I can handle, but it does have some appeal. have you seen it done, with a lister/22 inch flywheel?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #97 on: November 10, 2015, 01:36:32 PM »
We stock a 4 1/2" and also 5" pulley for that kind of setup. It is certainly a lot less than ideal though... preferable to find a 4-pole head that you can spin at 1800rpm.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations