Author Topic: Safety issues  (Read 3365 times)

Gippslander

• View Profile
Safety issues
« on: April 26, 2015, 11:08:47 AM »
hi

Has anyone built a safety cage or barrier around their Listeroid ?

The large flywheels are rather dangerous things in a small building.

If anyone fell on top the running wheels , the result would be death or serious injury .

Any thoughts   Mike
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Safety issues
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2015, 12:38:47 PM »
Caps around the gib keys were standard on the Dursley models. This safety modification is discussed on this forum - proper maintenance and use of starting handles as well.

As far as falling into the flywheel goes, simple awareness of the danger and not allowing anyone near the machinery would be first on my list of protective precautions. Modern-day workplace regulations would most likely call for safety cages around the exposed rotating parts and drive belts.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2015, 02:49:05 PM »
The front half of my shed, is a 6' chain link gate, to limit access, but still allow ventilation.  Turned out to be too airy, so I zip tied a tarp to it, but still have 6" below and 2' above for airflow.   Have shaft collars on each gib key, but some still sticks up above the collar.  Not supposed to be anyone in there anyway. Signs may get someone's curiosity aroused, so I'm not putting warning signs up.
 the two barn cats have it figured out, so I hope humans can too.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2015, 03:28:18 PM »
I think the barn cats could be smarter and safer than certain humans?  At least they are supposed to have 9 lives I have been told! :laugh:

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2015, 12:47:19 AM »
Guards sound like a good idea to me.  I had a few dizzy spells last week from a new medication.  This has never happenned to me before and has gone away now.  As I get older this type of thing could get worse and guards could turn out to be cheap insurance.  I will probably make some sturdy guards that can be lifted off easily at some point in the future.  My cay seems smart on many levels but he is the one that caused the saying "curiosity killed the cat".  He investigates everything very close up and thoroughly and got trapped inside a swamp cooler last year because he stood on top of the squirrel cage blower and it rolled him down inside.  He was like a hamster on a exercise wheel when he tried to climb back out.  He couldn't run fast enough to get back over the top, maybe because there wasn't enough room for his legs to get a full stroke.  Just luck that I found him and got him out.  I wouldn't have thought of that cooler as a hazard until then  ??? .  It's been stored there for a few years and now I've turned it so the blower opening is against the wall.  Odd things happen sometimes!  I will try to keep him out of the generator shed just to be safer but I don't think you can worry about every potential hazard in life.  Everybody has to decide what level of risk to live with and the universe seemed pretty forgiving--- until Fukashima  :o !
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 01:05:05 PM »
The fact that Lister originally sold the engines with Gibb key guards in an era when safety risks were looked at in an entirely different light should tell us something.  A person can rub up against the flywheels and will be startled at worst but those gibb keys will grab your cloths and start winding you up,,,  None the less an engine that is located in a hi traffic area or in tight quarters should at the very least have the gibb keys covered, There are repros available from England if Gary doesn't have them.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel