Puppeteer

Author Topic: WTB Whitworth/BSP dies etc  (Read 4764 times)

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
WTB Whitworth/BSP dies etc
« on: May 06, 2015, 04:27:13 PM »
Anybody have a spare set of whitworth dies laying around?  These don't need to be super clean, just want some
to chase and clean up the threads on my machine.  Also really like to have a BSP die to redo the threads on my
exhaust pipe.

38ac

• View Profile
Re: WTB Whitworth/BSP dies etc
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2015, 05:50:36 PM »
Goto Ebay and punch in BSW tap and die set and pick the one that fits your budget. Cleaning rusty threads will quickly ruin even the best quality taps and dies ability to cut new threads.  A Chinese set will work fine for what you will do with them. There was two different sizes for the exhaust. 1 1/4 and 1 1/2 either way the die wont come cheaply. Also some BSP is tapered, some parallel, I think for the pipe you need a BSPT die.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2015, 07:16:04 PM »
Thanks 38AC, I cruise ebay nearly every day for all sorts of tools, slot machine stuff etc, an old habit.  I was just hoping maybe someone here had an extra one laying around they might part with.  Never hurts to ask.... :laugh:

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2015, 09:05:35 PM »
Hi TxB

To clean out the exhaust pipe thread, try cutting shallow slots down the length of the thread,  in a pipe fitting of the correct size (with a fine blade in an angle grinder)  so it resembles a tap.

It won't re cut but it'll clear out any crud and give you a good idea if the thread can be saved, at minimum cost, not perfect, but cheap!

I picked up the idea from an old '50's copy of The Motorcycle (or something similar) years back where it was recommended for cleaning spark plug threads (with an old plug)

Cheers Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.