Author Topic: Newby: Lister CS boat owner  (Read 24869 times)

richardhula

Re: Newby: Lister CS boat owner - COV question
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2015, 03:35:27 PM »
Anybody who can help me out here? Would really appreciate it! ;D

Can I assume you mean the inner plug with concave outer shown here?

Assuming that is the case, the only comment I can make refers to the Lister JK which replaced the JP series. When this happened the COV mechanism was replaced with a screw in blanking plug with square head, leaving C/R fixed at 17.5:1 (down from 19:1). There was still an inner plug specified but it was a different part number and had a flat outer with possibly a different inner profile to achieve the lower fixed C/R, since these models had integral cylinder block and crankcase.

When the the COV was dropped on later CS models, its documented that the lower C/R was achieved with cylinder base shims to provide 0.030" greater clearance between piston and head.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2015, 03:45:32 PM by richardhula »

listard-jp2

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2015, 04:23:53 PM »
Quote from: listerboat link=topic=7434.msg84295#msg84295

Just a question; does the inner part of the original COV have to me removed from the head or can I just screw out the original one and replace it directly?

Correct, you will need to remove both parts.

You have two options:

Remove the outer part, drive a wooden plug into the hole in the inner part, loosely screw the outer part back into the head. With the COV in the low comp setting. Then start the engine, this should force the inner part loose.

If the above does not work, your onyl other option is to drill and tap this inner part and pull it out with an extractor bolt.

listerboat

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 01, 2015, 07:31:42 PM »
Thank you guys for the quick and clear anwers!

Gonna try the wooden plug method this weekend. Will shoot a vid of it running and post it here, too.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #18 on: June 01, 2015, 07:59:39 PM »
It may help to run the engine up to operating temp first to pre-heat the parts involved. Sometimes carbon will soften a bit with a little heat in the right places.

Best of luck!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

listerboat

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 01, 2015, 08:08:59 PM »
The previous owner replaced the head a couple of months ago so I hope it will come loose easily.

listerboat

• View Profile
Re: Newby: Lister CS boat owner - Two vids added
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2015, 08:55:24 PM »
Tried to get the CCOV out today. Used the wooden plug methode a couple of times but the sucker woudn't come out... Decided to leave it in for this season and make another effort this winter. Till that time, I have to leave it on high compression.

Shot two vids today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJknbmYq-mA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rg6AWsPixQo

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2015, 03:16:27 PM »
Oooh, I am jealous. A CS makes a lovely sounding boat engine. Thanks for the videos, very nice!
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2015, 03:21:26 PM »
Very very nice!
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 12:01:05 PM »
Cool boat!

I had a difficult time removing the COV plug. I ran a tap through the hole, and tried using a slide hammer. No luck. I then put a bolt in the hole, and started the engine. The part came out with a BANG! It also had enough velocity to penetrate a nearby tree. So, if you choose this method, make sure to keep the area downrange "safe".

I'd love to see a video of the boat in operation.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 04:01:14 PM »

@Listerboat; for a COV removal adventure story, have a look at this thread:  http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7294.0

and here:http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7325.msg82558#msg82558

Finally did get that plug out, but now before trying many methods. None of the factory advised methods worked.

Good luck, and BTW, very nice boat!

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2015, 12:15:25 AM »
Tried to get the CCOV out today. Used the wooden plug methode a couple of times but the sucker woudn't come out... Decided to leave it in for this season and make another effort this winter. Till that time, I have to leave it on high compression.

2 problems

1)  More Running time will not make it any easier

2) Running at high compression can be very hard on the engine, it was only designed for starting and then to be reduced.

richardhula

« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2015, 05:05:45 PM »

2 problems

1)  More Running time will not make it any easier

2) Running at high compression can be very hard on the engine, it was only designed for starting and then to be reduced.

Lister recommended leaving JP engines (same COV system and compression ratio's as CS) on high compression for sustained running at low revs below 850 rpm (max 1200 rpm).

JP2's and 3's are a popular fitment in narrowboats used on the UK canal network. I know of some that have run 10,000 hours plus under this light duty cycle always on high compression. My own experience with a JP2M marine version in a narrowboat and running on low compression, is that head temperature is simply not high enough below 750 rpm to allow proper combustion, so engine smokes noticeably. Since shallow canals limit speeds, its rare to be able to use more than say 600 rpm, higher and the boat actually slows as stern and prop dig into mud, hence engine remains in high compression. When on a river with lesser speed restrictions and the draught to allow prop to bite and do some serious work, I do often use low compression but its more to do with exercising COV's.

Bear in mind also that later CS and the 1500 rpm JK series which superceeded the JP's, dropped the COV's completely, although they did reduce the fixed CR slightly to 17.5:1

« Last Edit: July 08, 2015, 08:45:53 AM by richardhula »

listerboat

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 12, 2015, 11:46:58 AM »
Thanks for all compliments and advice guys! Really helpfull for a newby into Listers like me.

The engine runs great but spits a bit of oil/carbon through the exhaust every now and then. Found a friend of a friend willing to look into the engine soon. Will try to get the COV out again then.

Will make some more vids of it in the near future. :)

listerboat

• View Profile
Re: Newby: Lister CS boat owner - New vid added 08-10
« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2015, 08:12:34 PM »
Finally recplace the COV today with another one. Lets see that this one doesn't start to leak. Still have the fixed one with glow plug lying around.
Also put two times new oil in the transmission because water leaked into it. The boatcover isn't in good shape anymore. Got in contact with a few companies that make them but all are too busy in the summer season.
Will have to wait till the end of the year to get a new one made.

Made a new vid today for the fans ;D :

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa_X-p4MZmQ[/youtube]

dkeav04

• View Profile