Author Topic: New lister CS SOM project ..Thoughts  (Read 3205 times)

davev8

• View Profile
New lister CS SOM project ..Thoughts
« on: April 28, 2015, 09:24:17 PM »
Hi
 get a lister cs from the bay 6month ago and just managed a look at it ..it was sold as a 6/1 with a 4.5kva generator and not a SOM ...alarm bell was ringing as i know you can not get 4.5 kva from 6hp but maybe it was to start say a 3 hp motor under load or something ..anyway it is a 4.5 kva and it IS a SOM Very Happy but with a bit of linkage missing from the solenoid but other wise complete ..the engine is a 5/1 at 6hp at 650rpm made in 1952 according to the SN
The engine has had a rebuild at some time as the big end is +0.10 but its gone(i can make it clunk just rocking the flywheels)
Having measured the size of the flywheels and the pulley size on the gen it only take simple math in my head to determine the RPM of the engine needs to be 800 to 850rpm for it the run the gen at the needed 1500RPM....so i bit of a miss match
So i see it i have 3 option
1 rebuild the engine as a 8/1 and run it at 850rpm ...this is where i need help.. is it possible to do that? i know injector pressures are much higher
2 rebuild as it is and change the pulley so can run at 650rpm and only use 3kv.....which is a wast as i could do with mooooore POWER as jeremy clarkson say
3 buy a 8/1 for it but they seam a bit thinner on the ground

i have a 4th option but that involve another 6/1

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
Re: New lister CS SOM project ..Thoughts
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 10:38:31 AM »
Hi there.
Let us see it!

I'm not sure what your intended application for the engine is? Mine will get to do some work, but my project is 80% inclined to the hobby side. A 6/1 pulling hard at 650rpm sound soooo nice, so pushing it harder won't work for me...

Restore the 6/1 for fun and get a 8/1 Listeroid to abuse.  :laugh:

1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

davev8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 05:02:14 PM »
it will work hard it will not be for show..it has crossed my mind just to do this one up and use it for something else.. and find a 8/1...i have a spare SOM base plate ..its still bolted to the floor of an out building as wea lister for power until 1970 ish ...the lister is long gone ...i have found out that an 8/1 has an alloy piston so need to find out whether the alloy piston when replacing a cast iron one, will the engine still be in balance .....any one???/

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 05:40:49 PM »
Keep your iron piston with the 6/1 for 650 rpm... keep the alloy piston with the 8/1 for 850 rpm. Replace accordingly. The pistons are designed for the operational speeds and the overall engine balancing will be changed if you exchange the parts.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

davev8

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 05:47:06 PM »
so you are saying i cannot make my 6/1 into an 8/1 then .....so plan b or c find a 8/1 for my  4.5 kva gen and/or a 3kva unit for the the 6/1 then