Puppeteer

Author Topic: Permissible flywheel run out  (Read 3545 times)

davev8

• View Profile
Permissible flywheel run out
« on: May 03, 2015, 06:57:19 PM »
Permissible flywheel run out...i read some place its 5 tho max ... just measured mine on my 6/1 som  and both flywheels are 13 tho but its in the same place for both flywheels  and the run out is in the opposite way so will this cancel any problem out?
as my crank needs a regrind am i better of getting a new crank ? only as my 4.5kw som originally had a 8/1 i don't wont to spend to much £$ on this one  as i most likely have to buy an 8/1at some point

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Permissible flywheel run out
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2015, 10:35:23 PM »
It likely depends on whether that .013" runout is created by a bent crankshaft, or just by poorly fitted flywheels. Take a reading at the ends of your shafts to see if that is the case.

A bent crank sometimes happens during shipment if the crate gets dropped. They can often be straightened.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

davev8

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2015, 11:13:14 PM »
yes a drop will explain why they are  both out in the same place and in opposite direction....will check end of shafts tomorrow ..thanks   

LowGear

• Casey
  • What? My diesel had fries for lunch?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 06:45:23 PM »
both out in the same place and in opposite direction

Huh?  Wow; is that counter-intuitive.

Casey
NPR Tipper/Dump Truck
Kubota BX 2230
Witte BD Generator
SunnyBoy 6000 + SolarWorld 245

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 07:25:12 PM »
A crankshaft bend can present in many different ways depending on which portion is actually bent. If it took the stress basically dead center and evenly, then both shaft ends could end up with a wobble of an equal amount (and depending on how you look at it, in opposite directions at the flywheel rims [one to the left and the other to the right]). We have also seen some take a bend only on one side where the opposite flywheel measured perfectly normal. Since we don't know anything about how this happened, who knows if it is actually shipping damage or a manufacturing defect.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations