Author Topic: Another 6/1 Restoration  (Read 121287 times)

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
Re: Another 6/1 Restoration
« Reply #225 on: May 09, 2019, 11:30:26 AM »
I think I said this before: Rome was not build in a day and this Restoration was not done in 3 years  :D

The engine continues to run like a dream and remains a great source of entertainment. I had it to two shows recently and it draws a lot of attention. Especially elder people who grew up on farms quickly come closer when they hear the Lister start. You then see those eyes staring at the flywheels just taking in the sight with the other senses recording the sounds and the smells that awaken distant memories... Then the tales start pouring out of how they fell asleep at night with that sound in the distant night or how a crank handle wacked them when they had to start up on a cold winter morning  :laugh: Great fun and a lot of interesting people that came along with this hobby.

The one major pain I had was loading and unloading this beast. Everything worked very well appart from working that darn lever block to pull the engine up the ramps. To make things worse, the chain is too short to pull it up in one go, so it had to be done in two stages. Not nice to start and end a fun day by breaking a sweat!

Picture taken at the last show I was at in March. (Same show we attended a year ago)

Gazebo for shade, Lister powered kettle for fresh coffee. Lister powered electric grille provided lunch.
Always nice to make things work to show off that it actually works!

HOW I USED TO DO IT
Setting up the ramps and blocks under the trailer.

This pole fits inside the trailer hook and keeps the trailer at the disired angle. When the engine is loaded, the balance point is slightly in front of the axle, but not too heavy to lower the trailer by hand. The genset can go on the trailer either way, but balances better with the tank-side towards the front of the trailer.

The chain is extended with a belt sling connected to the trolley. The sling on the left will be used to hold the load when the trolley is halfway up the ramps when the lever block extension is removed before pulling the second stage to the top.

ENTER ELECTRIC WINCH!

Cable is long enough to pull it on the trailer from the far side of the yard.

Walking up the trailer at the push of a button  :)
(Button in one hand, cold beer in the other hand)

Watch the short video of the winch in action:
Can't wait to try it ou at the next show!
https://youtu.be/e4ssL7CqQwg
« Last Edit: May 09, 2019, 11:41:02 AM by Dieselsmoker »
1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #226 on: May 09, 2019, 02:53:18 PM »
Very nice design, dieselsmoker, I like the angle iron rails.  A classy setup for a classic Lister.

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #227 on: May 09, 2019, 03:42:38 PM »
+1 for the design, better than the 'mandraulic' system.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Dieselsmoker

• If your genset fails, remeber Ps 119:105 - Your word is a lamp for my feet, a light on my path.
  • Self-Certified Professional Engine Lover
    • View Profile
    • Get your spares back!
« Reply #228 on: May 11, 2019, 10:08:57 PM »
Thanks guys. I have learned a lot from you and other people on the net - so I share what I do to pass my ideas forward. It might just plant a seed with someone towards solving their problem.

Glort - I like the way you think. I have thought about the idea to make the trolley power itself many times, but never really applied my mind to it. The setup is heavy and I can manouvre it on hard surfaces, but it is totally impossable to drag it by hand over grass, ramps or uneven surfaces. I'll keep my eyes open for parts...

To elaborate a bit on the bracket:
I toyed with many ideas and came up with this design -

Construction of bracket:

Hooked onto the frame:

Short Video showing how easy it is to mount and remove the winch:
https://youtu.be/N10StbFfjTg

1963 Lister 6/1 genset - Restored
1942 Fairbanks-Morse ZC-208 - Restored
1945 Ruston & Hornsby PB 3HP - To be restored
1954 John Deere 40-S - Current project