Puppeteer

Author Topic: Lister 8/1 distribution pipe "repair"?  (Read 1786 times)

Brinkjr

• View Profile
Lister 8/1 distribution pipe "repair"?
« on: May 30, 2017, 03:28:02 AM »
I've acquired an '58 lister cs 8hp engine.    I've had to unstick a valve and now I am inspecting the lube system.    There was hardly any oil in the sump mostly sludge.   The pump has all its parts in working condition.  To see how much sludge was in the oil line in the block, I poked a small screwdriver into the port that sends the oil to the inside of the crankcase.  I didn't get sludge, I felt resistance and dirt.   So I disassembled the distribution pipes and the inspected them.   I found a rusted spring (in 7 pieces) in the distribution pipe closest to the pump (3-272).   The distribution pipe furthest from the pump (3-273) was clean.   The straight pipe has a flare on one end.   I have a 1932 5hp and it doesn't have a spring or the flare.

I assumed this is a "repair".   Has anyone heard of this type of repair or is this common on some Listeroids and someone adopted this for this engine?

Any ideas?
1932 5hp CS (recond parts)
1958 8hp CS (mostly assbld)

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Lister 8/1 distribution pipe "repair"?
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2017, 11:11:08 AM »
I have never seen a spring inside the distribution oil pipes of a CS before... maybe someone's makeshift repair.
Those pipes can be a pain in the neck, but they are of steel and somewhat malleable - easy enough to form and bend. In some of the newer Lister models they did use a wire restrictor inside certain oil pipes to reduce and control oil pressure or volume to the cylinder head/s.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations