Puppeteer

Author Topic: Basic questions from a proud new owner?  (Read 40998 times)

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
Re: Basic questions from a proud new owner?
« Reply #30 on: April 14, 2015, 04:06:50 PM »
Well, I got an answer from the people over at  POR-15
Subject: Engine enamel inside crankcase:
Sorry we do not recommend any of our products inside a crankcase. Thanks, Mike
Sincerely,
Absolute Coatings, inc.

So does anybody have a recommendation other than the glyptol  (apparently only made in red?)
I need something brushable, I have no spray equipment.

Moving on  to other concerns... what is the best way to extract the main crank bearings?  Will I need a press to remove them safely?  I want to get the castings ready to paint.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #31 on: April 14, 2015, 06:49:37 PM »
Once the retainer bolts are pulled, the main bearings are usually only a slight interference fit in the castings. You might need a little bump from an appropriate driver or piece of hardwood to get them loose from the housings.

Check on electrical insulating spray "varnish", (this product is actually an epoxy resin). It comes in spray cans so no brushing needed.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 14, 2015, 08:38:34 PM »
@TX  Re main bearing removal (sleeve type bearings):
Mine did not come out so easily. new ones did not go in easily either. Checked for burrs, out-of-round, etc, none, just a very tight fit!
See this thread http://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=7256.msg81907#msg81907

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #33 on: April 14, 2015, 08:48:21 PM »
If we came up against a bearing/housing combination as problematic as yours Hugh, we would certainly go for the hydraulic press. It is my understanding that that situation is uncommon and might indicate parts that were not machined to normal specs.

Irregularities will sometimes crop up with just about anything that is dependent on the human touch and judgment, we appreciate your reports and feedback!

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 14, 2015, 08:50:28 PM by dieselgman »

Hugh Conway

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2015, 08:59:04 PM »
If we came up against a bearing/housing combination as problematic as yours Hugh, we would certainly go for the hydraulic press. It is my understanding that that situation is uncommon and might indicate parts that were not machined to normal specs.

Irregularities will sometimes crop up with just about anything that is dependent on the human touch and judgment, we appreciate your reports and feedback!

dieselgman
Thanks Gary, I think the "difficult to remove problem was related to those bearings being gooped in there for 60+ years.
I attribute the re-installation  reluctance to slightly oversized Indian replacements.
Just a guess on both counts, and in any event, they came out and went back in. Engine turns easily after setting up correct brg. housing spacing.
Now, to find some time to add a generator so I can give it a load for break-in.

Cheers,
Hugh
JKson 6/1  (Utterpower PMG ) Off-grid
Lister 6/1 Start-O-Matic engine......running with PMG
1978 Royal Enfield (glutton for punishment by Indian iron)
1963 BMW R-27 project

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2015, 04:36:13 PM »
Will try to get the bearings out today, if the damn rain will stop. 
As to spray on types of varnish
Anybody ever use this:
http://www.sprayon.com/product-categories/electrical-and-electronic-cleaners-and-degreasers/red-insulating-varnish-aerosol-el601

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2015, 04:56:42 PM »
Yes... that is a phenolic epoxy and will work great inside the crankcase.

dieselgman

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2015, 10:08:00 PM »
Tried a couple of different pcs of hardwood to loosen up the mains...no joy..
Got one soaking now to loosen up the ancient goo...
Will a lye solution attack the bearings?
Other mandrels to try?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2015, 10:46:10 PM »
Is a hydraulic press available to you? That will certainly work. Otherwise, we sometimes use a socket with correct diameter and a hammer to knock them loose. Blocks of wood will work to cradle or support the housing.

Lye will eat the surface of your bearing and should not be used for cleaning same unless you are discarding the old bearings and don't care about their condition.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 15, 2015, 10:48:44 PM by dieselgman »

TxBlacksmith

• View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 16, 2015, 03:30:07 AM »
I will have to scrounge around to find someone with a press.  As to sockets that size, I am sure a diesel shop has tons of big sizes,
not me.  Just never have to work on stuff that large...(till now) ;D
I have all kinds of oddball shapes of steel laying around the blacksmith shop, but I haven't come up with anything
even close to correct diameter.  I am hoping to extract the bearings without damage to keep as spare parts.
Heck, I am still hunting an experienced welder to fix the bearing mount.
Its a good thing these are a labor of love....they can tun into money pits quickly!  :o

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #40 on: April 16, 2015, 04:14:42 AM »
Yep, as a hobby these are captivating and fascinating machines. But as a business? - Difficult to justify in purely financial terms these days. The time invested can easily get out of hand even with very good parts resources. We do it because we enjoy it and derive considerable satisfaction from keeping some of the old iron productive.

We have frequently made our own tooling for specialized sizes or applications. Round aluminum stock is very useful for this purpose, but you could also do quite a bit with hardwood in a lathe. Wood can be less expensive and easier to work with than metal and for making one-time-use tools can be perfectly functional.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 04:22:13 AM by dieselgman »

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 16, 2015, 08:02:38 AM »
Hi TxB

I got mine main bearings out, and refitted them, by using a 12 tonne bottle jack on it's side between the - 12" x 6" door posts of my (200 year old, stone built with walls two feet thick) barn.

I first tried it vertically, as in the post (on here somewhere)  for straightening crankshafts but the lintol started to rise, there's only a a tonne or so of tin roof above it.

I found the cap of an old propane cylinder fitted as a 'dolly' and made support from timber offcuts.

Cheers
Stef
Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 16, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
Well, I got an answer from the people over at  POR-15
Subject: Engine enamel inside crankcase:
Sorry we do not recommend any of our products inside a crankcase. Thanks, Mike
Sincerely,
Absolute Coatings, inc.

So does anybody have a recommendation other than the glyptol  (apparently only made in red?)
I need something brushable, I have no spray equipment.

Re: the paint question, there's no reason to use anything other than a good quality oil based paint.  This isn't a gasoline engine.  Diesel won't attack paint.  In fact, the oil used in the vehicle that the paint pigment flakes are suspended in is very similar to diesel.  However, if you plan to use biodiesel, then residual alcohol could be a problem.  I have two engines that I painted the inside and outside of using Rustoleum paint in a quart can in 2005, and the paint is fine.  No reason to use expensive two-part epoxies unless you want to.

Quinn
« Last Edit: April 16, 2015, 03:43:27 PM by Quinnf »
Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #43 on: April 16, 2015, 05:48:30 PM »
The cost on the spray epoxy enamel... negligible in the grand scheme of things. Easy and effective - about $8 to $10 a can. You can coat about 2 to 3 engines inside with 1 can.

dieselgman

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 16, 2015, 08:20:43 PM »
+1 for the red electrical varnish (generic Glyptol).  Cheap and a very nice glossy finish inside.  Thanks to 38ac for the tip.