Author Topic: All In  (Read 15824 times)

mcreeferson

• View Profile
All In
« on: March 15, 2015, 02:44:30 PM »
I took delivery of my 18/1 "parts" from Gary, and everything looks to be in order. Here are the pieces roughly stacked, as of course the first thing you want to do when you open that box is to see what she looks like...

Of course this is just for reference, I just wanted to see what it would look like if I were to assemble it, which of course I would never do...  ::)

mcreeferson

• View Profile
Re: All In
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2015, 02:51:52 PM »
I spent some time tearing her down over the past week and a half, an hour here, an few minutes there, when I had spare time. No big surprises there, though I am curious how you go about removing the oil pump lifter from the timing cover?

Here she is half naked...

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2015, 03:18:00 PM »
Clearly, as beautiful as she is, she could use a nice long bath, so I rigged her up a nice jacuzzi tub to relax in.

A few dollars in pvc pipe and fittings made a decent air manifold for agitation...

A bunch of holes in the bottom...

I picked up a "bucket heater" for short money, added the secret soap, hooked up the air, and presto, a nice bath for my lady...

https://www.youtube.com/embed/P9trb8SKTRM

(Can't seem to get the embed to work properly...)
She is bubbling away as we speak, we'll see how she looks when she's done with her day at the spa...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2015, 03:27:25 PM by McReeferson »

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2015, 03:59:39 PM »
Good work !
Can't wait to see what she looks like.

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2015, 06:59:53 PM »
Good work !
Can't wait to see what she looks like.

Gary

Can't wait to pull her out and see what sort of castings I've got.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »
I am curious how you go about removing the oil pump lifter from the timing cover?

The piece on the upper end that serves as the cam follower is pressed in. You have to remove it prior to pulling the rest out the bottom.  It is best to leave it alone unless there is a problem.

I have one of those sitting in the shop fgor quite some time, It just cant get to the top of the things to do list >:(
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2015, 12:42:40 AM »
The piece on the upper end that serves as the cam follower is pressed in. You have to remove it prior to pulling the rest out the bottom.  It is best to leave it alone unless there is a problem.

I have one of those sitting in the shop fgor quite some time, It just cant get to the top of the things to do list >:(

Ah, I was wondering which end had to come out, it looks as though the lower end is pressed in as well. This is the one part that I wanted to put in the bath but couldn't, just because of that piece. I may just cut it and recreate, probably safer to do it this way rather than risk damaging the casting trying to pull the pressed in end without creating a jig.

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2015, 07:20:35 AM »
I have a little more cleaning up to do, but the bath worked out great. There weren't any real nasty surprises, pretty much what I had expected to see after all the reading I've done. Cursory inspection shows there is clearly a load of sand to remove, but that is not news to anyone I'm sure.

So here are a few of the bigger pieces, waiting for the next step...

« Last Edit: March 16, 2015, 07:23:53 AM by McReeferson »

George A

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2015, 10:25:52 PM »
Man, that came out nice and clean......but you never mentioned what type of "bath" it was. Heated sodium hydroxide perhaps?
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2015, 03:02:38 AM »
Man, that came out nice and clean......but you never mentioned what type of "bath" it was. Heated sodium hydroxide perhaps?

Yes. i ended up mixing at a rate of 2lbs per each 5 gallons of water. With the air agitation running, an uninsulated barrel, and only a 1000 watt heater, I didn't get anywhere near boiling temp, but it doesn't seem that it was necessary. A nice strong solution, a 24 hour soak, and some elbow grease with a stiff dish brush during the rinse, got the job done. A pressure washer would have been easier than the brush, but it wasn't that bad, the paint came right off. Hitting it with the washer would have also made a big mess blasting all that paint around.

BigCountry

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2015, 10:35:24 PM »
I didn't realize DES had an 18-1. What RPM do they run? What kind of cost difference for that vs the 8-1?

Dave

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2015, 11:28:54 PM »
The 18/1 is rated at 750rpm. You could tune it for various other speeds (plus or minus 150 or so) though.

The current pricing is pretty steep compared to an 8/1. $3475 for the 18/1s in current batch. These were a small trial sampling... price could be driven down by volume if the demand was proven. A very large portion of the cost on these is involved with EPA pressures, extra Homeland Security, importation bonding and freight. Many thousands of extra dollars per container involved with inept bureaucracy and reactive government policies.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: March 26, 2015, 11:32:13 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mcreeferson

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2015, 03:17:46 PM »
I'm not sure if this is considered heresy or not, but white is what I had on hand, so white she is.

Awlgrip "cloud white" to be exact. It was my first time spraying Awlgrip, or spraying anything from a real gun actually, so I am good with how it came out. Only 1 real sag out of all of those parts, and wouldn't you know it, it happens right in the middle of a flat surface. I figured for sure if I had any trouble it would be with the more complex pieces...
Oh well, one more step on the road to getting her running!

dieselspanner

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2015, 04:44:26 PM »
Back in the day, the Royal Navy used to paint all their engines white (well, all the ones I saw as a Bootneck landing craft coxswain, anyway) Supposedly so the leaks were more obvious.

Nothing wrong with that, IMHO!!

Cheers Stef

Tighten 'til it strips, weld nut to chassis, peen stud, adjust with angle grinder.

EdDee

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2015, 10:13:29 PM »
Very nice.... don't forget to mask the edge connectors on the dimm's before u spray them.... is that the 12gb model or the 32gb model... Lol... ;D ;D ;D
12/1 750RPM/9HP Roid 5kVA- WMO Disposal/Electricity & Hot Water Gen
12/1 650RPM/8HP Roid 4.5kVa - Demon Dino
Chinese Yanmar - Silent Runner with AutoStart
Classic Komatsu 1963 Dozer/Fergusson 35 Gold Belly ...
Bikes,Cars,Gunsmithing & Paintball...Oh yes, a 5Ha open air Workshop to play in!