Author Topic: Seal squeal?  (Read 4774 times)

George A

• View Profile
Seal squeal?
« on: March 07, 2015, 10:19:22 PM »
I ran my Vidhata for about a half hour again today. I mentioned in my previous post that I heard a squealing sound and thought my generator bearings might be dry, so I shot some additional grease in the fittings. Well, that squeal showed up again today and this time I used the old mechanic's trick of placing a short length of garden hose to my ear and snooping around the whole unit trying to isolate the noise. To my surprise, it was coming from the crankshaft where it emerges from the crank case on the injector pump side of the engine. It was sort of a squealing, whistling sound and not the bearing, so it almost had to be a dry seal. This engine has probably a grand total of one hour's running time so it's still "new" and I have no idea what is used for seals.....are they neoprene? Leather? Whale blubber? :laugh:

I shut the engine down and used a long spout oil can to dribble oil around the joint of the crankshaft and case, rolling the flywheel around to distribute it. When I started it up again the squeal was gone and didn't return in fifteen minutes of additional running. I'll monitor it carefully.

I also noticed that the stock governor spring was causing hunting, so I changed it BACK to the Home Depot spring that I thought was giving me over speeding yesterday. To my delight the voltage is much more stable and the engine responds better to placing/removing loads. I kept a close eye on things and there were no problems, so maybe it was something I did and blamed it on the spring. Further running will tell the tale.

I guess I'd better get busy and get some pictures on here soon before everyone thinks I'm a "teller of tall tales". So far though, I'm a pretty happy camper.

I'm tired.........time for a cup o' coffee and some feet up time!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2015, 10:21:03 PM by George A »
I've joined "the dark side"....if it has a spark plug, it's obsolete technology.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Seal squeal?
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2015, 10:59:28 PM »
I have sometimes had dry bushings on camshafts cause a squeal until the lubrication has had a chance to penetrate everywhere... also, you will need to allow for some break-in time to loosen things up before you can expect real smooth operation - especially from the governor and linkages. In the interim, just be sure to chase any such noises with your oil can and keep a close watch on her operation.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 01:26:27 AM »
I had the same squeal on my 6/1
I put a drop or 2 of oil on it once in a while to keep it quiet.
Drove me nuts trying to find that noise !

Gary

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2015, 06:37:11 PM »
I suspect with a properly working crankcase "valve" the outer seal
has a tendency to get dry.
I slid the flywheel back on the offending side, looked at the seal and decided
a drop or 2 of oil now and then is easier than pulling the wheel and
replacing the seal. Laziness on my part.
I think it's just another "quirk" of these engines. It's terrifying to hear that squeel
though !

Gary

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2015, 05:18:40 PM »
If it is a dry seal, it will self-destruct in no time at all.  When assembling a seal to a shaft, the shaft and seal should be lubricated with grease, motor oil, STP Oil Treatment (my favorite), or something similar.  I learned the hard way as a teenager when rebuilding my truck engine.  Yep, rear main seal began leaking after only a few hundred miles because I assembled it dry.  Grrrr!

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2015, 04:47:07 PM »
What's the best way to oil a dry seal without pulling the flywheel ?  Wire with a bend at the tip and dribble oil down it ?

32 coupe

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2015, 09:05:42 PM »
Hey Mike,
I usually just put a few drops between the flywheel and bearing housing before
and after running. Seems to work well so.far.
I still.think it is because the crankcase breather valve works the way it does.
The crankcase runs at a slightly negative pressure and the crank seals are the
"weak link" in this engine. Mine are only a single lip seal.
I have often thought of looking for a replacement seal.with a double lip like a modern
seal and pack it with grease. I just haven't got too it yet.

Gary

Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30