Puppeteer

Author Topic: Higher HP/RPM engine experiences?  (Read 3546 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Higher HP/RPM engine experiences?
« on: February 20, 2015, 08:42:52 PM »
First time I ever was around a 1000 RPM listeroid only one thought entered my head and it has never left me,, ticking time bomb.  My personal experiences with them have all been poor at the best. Has anyone here had a good long term experience with a 1000 RPM version?  Yes, I know they can be slowed down, what about when run at the rated RPMs? Reason I ask is I get many inquiries about the 12,14, 16 HP singles and 20-28HP twins, I always shy away from recommending them based upon my gut feeling and limited experience.
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Higher HP/RPM engine experiences?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2015, 01:28:03 AM »
Bear in mind that many of the better 18 and 20 horsepower singles are rated at 750 rpm which is well within a reasonable speed for one of these machines.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2015, 02:03:00 AM »
With so many other options available in those slightly higher HP range, I would steer them that way.  I have no personal experience with them, but the ones I have seen video of running give me a similar impression to yours.  If I needed more than 6HP, I would go a route other than a higher RPM open flyweel single.  The 6HP 650 RPM single is comfortable to be around, I think any more RPM than that, not so much

My .02
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2015, 02:39:26 AM »
Bear in mind that many of the better 18 and 20 horsepower singles are rated at 750 rpm which is well within a reasonable speed for one of these machines.

dieselgman

I certainly hope that the next shipment of engine spares contains some parts for those big singles   ;D 

What do you think the 18/1 engines would produce at 650 RPM?
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2015, 03:19:36 AM »
To get any real and accurate horsepower ratings one would have to do some dyno testing to see what they really do and what the power curves really look like. I have not seen any certified testing nor even detailed figures from any of the Indian builders... I suspect the 18 and 20 horsepower ratings are a pretty rough estimation. We have an engine test dyno at our Kansas shop, but will have to repair the heat exchanger because our guy left water in the system during cold weather and extensively damaged the internals awhile back.

Like I said... 750 rpm is a bit slower than the normal 8/1s and the engines seem pretty tame and stable at that speed.

We do have a good spare parts inventory for the 18/1 that we carry. Hopefully can get the larger 20's next go round.

dieselgman

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2015, 03:22:18 AM »
By the way... We also carry a 30 horsepower twin. I don't remember the rated speed off the top of my head, but it is certainly not any higher than an 8/1 - 850rpm.

dieselgman