Puppeteer

Author Topic: Low sulfur fuel ??  (Read 3508 times)

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
Low sulfur fuel ??
« on: February 09, 2015, 08:52:02 PM »
I read/heard/use the low sulfur fuel. Is this something I should be concerned about ?

I have a couple of expensive (to me, anyway) tractors and several diesel engines I play with : 2
listeroids, a changfa and a new to me Westerbeke project.

I read where a member here adds 2 stroke oil in his fuel. Is this something I should do or are
there other additives I should be adding to the fuel or am I worring about nothing ??

Thanks for looking,
Gary
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Low sulfur fuel ??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »
There are a number of fuel related issues especially with ULSD and tier4 emissions equipped engines... not much specific to any of the antiques though. In Alaska we use a very dry #1 fuel oil and this can cause excessive fuel pump wear in some engines... many other locales have #2 diesel available, and not everyone is forced to use the ULSD highway fuel. I would say that part of any sound maintenance program should be fuel system cleaning and lubricity additives... but the simplicity of the Lister fuel pump certainly does not demand any such special treatment... they can run pretty much any kind of fuel and this is one of their many strengths.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2015, 07:03:40 AM »
Guilty as charged.  But with extenuating circumstances.  My fuel pump was making noise, and processed bio-diesel quieted it down.  Then the bio-diesel vendor shut down, and I started running pump diesel and began adding some 2 stroke oil about 100:1   
 Now my head seems to be carboned up, and the injector is A-OK, and the diesel shop said look at pump timing !

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2015, 06:13:07 PM »
Bio-diesel is not completely unavailable. B20 is available at Eel fuels. This can be mixed 10:1 to give a 2% bio-diesel which will protect and lubricate the pump. And Yokayo Bio Fuels has been taken over by Simple fuels. There has been a B100 retail pump at Real Goods in Hopland that should now be supplied by Simple fuels. IIRC the ASTM found bio-diesel to be the most effective lubricant tested @ 2%. Also I understand that the red off-road diesel has additional lubricants, but that may be obsolete now that smog equipment is required on all diesel engines in CA. Boy we need Jefferson to happen real bad.
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.