Author Topic: Jkson 6/1 rebuild  (Read 133715 times)

Gippslander

• View Profile
Re: Jkson 6/1 rebuild
« Reply #45 on: February 03, 2015, 10:08:09 AM »
Best way is with a stud puller attachment to your socket wrench, you can also "double nut" each stud and simply pull with a socket.

dieselgman

Just got the long studs out 5 minutes ago  , they came out easily with a sharp pull on the stihlson wrench , some slight jaw marks where the wrench jaws gripped .

The studs diameter  measure up as .730" ,  a strange diameter . Are they meant to be 3/4 " . The nuts are a very loose fit on the thread , I dont like that .

The thread is 10 TPI

« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 11:09:40 AM by Gippslander »
Gippsland is in the S.E. corner of mainland Australia

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2015, 12:48:33 AM »
filing

« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:55:30 AM by Gippslander »

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2015, 03:17:39 PM »
Nicely equipped shop there! ;)
Only problem is you have unutilized floor space! Pleanty of room for kid's toys, a dog, wife's honey do things, another engine or two,,,

Butch
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2015, 12:55:33 AM »
Nicely equipped shop there! ;)
Only problem is you have unutilized floor space! Pleanty of room for kid's toys, a dog, wife's honey do things, another engine or two,,,

Butch

Yes . ;D  floor space . All of us never have enough of it .

I think I will buy some hex shaped bar and try to make some long  3/4"UNC nuts , slightly undersize . The original head nuts on my roid are a very loose sloppy  fit on the stud thread

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #49 on: February 05, 2015, 01:01:32 AM »
Not all of the Indian hardware is that sloppy...

If you have a good hardware supplier nearby, I would think you could easily get the proper fitting hardware for your build - and inexpensively. There has been some discussion about replacing much of the Indian nut and bolt hardware with higher-grade hardened pieces. That is a very easy and inexpensive improvement that almost all of us can take advantage of.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 05, 2015, 01:42:58 AM »
Be careful how you mix and match.  As you are likely aware the thread shape, minor, and major diameters differ between USS and BSW threads. They kinda work in a pinch (except 1/2" which differs in pitch) but I would not mix them on anything critical.   

I measured the studs in my project engine and they are right on .750 and the nuts fit very well. As we know, never trust anything to be right, check it! ;)

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2015, 01:50:10 AM »
Thanks

The other fix I can try is to make some new 3/4" long studs and re tap the holes in the deck for the new studs with a real good quality 3/4 tap

I dont know how the Indians  came up with such a weird thread that 'has that much undersize .

Yes I think the BSW whitworth threads have a slight angle difference in the thread form but you can get away with it most times .

Before doing anything, I will try and find some replacement nuts but I think even new nuts from the hardware shop will be sloppy just like the old ones .

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #52 on: February 05, 2015, 02:46:24 AM »
If you cannot find a good match-up for those threads, it may just be that they were incorrectly cut from your supplier. Order some new proper replacement studs and eliminate the problem altogether.

I have seen a lot of sloppy stuff passed off on the assembled Indian Listeroid equipment... much better quality in the individual pieces when purchased alone though. Maybe they are thinking they will not get caught on the stuff the buyer is not able to immediately inspect?  ???  If we give them the benefit of a doubt, we would just have to say that they are sometimes unskilled and unaware.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 02:51:03 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2015, 03:03:28 AM »
 If we give them the benefit of a doubt, we would just have to say that they are sometimes unskilled and unaware.

dieselgman
You are too nice, LOL ;D ;D

I have this vision of a guy banging out some given part in a dirt floor  hut and the ones that are right go in one heap, the ones that are just right enough to work going in another heap and the rejects going out the back door in a scrap bin. But during the night the scrap bins get raided and,,,,,,,

I have seen it happen right here in the good ole USA.

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2015, 05:20:39 PM »
Be careful how you mix and match.  As you are likely aware the thread shape, minor, and major diameters differ between USS and BSW threads. They kinda work in a pinch (except 1/2" which differs in pitch) but I would not mix them on anything critical.   

http://www.anemo.eu/blog/what-is-the-difference-between-bsfbsw-and-unfunc/
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

Quinnf

• Rest in peace
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2015, 05:55:01 PM »
Not all of the Indian hardware is that sloppy... [snip]

I second that.  The threaded fittings on my Ashwamegh were very loose, and I replaced all of the ones I could with US fasteners, which fit better.  However, the Jkson engine had fittings that were as good as US made. 

http://www.utterpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Beta-Tester-Part-1-REVISED-01_10_2015-MEDIUM.pdf

http://www.utterpower.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Beta-Test-Part-II-REVISED-01_2015.pdf

Ashwamegh 6/1, PowerSolutions 6/1 "Kit" engine, and a Changfa R175a that looks like a Yanmar I once knew

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:20 PM »
My older Metro was OK on studs and nuts, the DES 8/1 engine looks quite good.  It's important to enjoy the things that came out well from Rajkot.  Every engine is a unique collection!

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 06, 2015, 01:02:12 AM »
I lifted the case onto its bed, it all fits well  :) :) :) :)

I need to find some good gasket paper and make some gaskets and fit the crankshaft , its getting harder to find basic things like gasket paper

Gippslander

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 06, 2015, 07:27:00 AM »
I have discovered what could be a problem , maybe not

The 4 studs that hold the 2 crankshaft bearing castings on each side , are smaller in diameter then the holes in the castings . This means , the casting can move around all over the place . There is no locating pin at all I can see .

The studs measure as .470".  The holes in the castings are .580" , there is over .100" of space in there ?

Am I not seeing something ?

38ac

• View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 06, 2015, 08:13:27 AM »
The main bearing castings shold pilot on the crankcase bore. Measure the bore and the pilot on the bearing casting or simply place it on the crankcase by hand and check for movement. Should be a slip fit with very little movement.