Author Topic: Catalytic converter, revisited  (Read 9454 times)

rmchambers

• View Profile
Re: Catalytic converter, revisited
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2015, 12:03:55 AM »
If your generator is too lightly loaded to avoid sending unburned fuel down the exhaust stack (which would smell and smoke) perhaps you can give it more work to do?  somehow have a dump circuit that goes to a big storage tank for hot water and turns on those heating elements.  You need hot water right?

I suspect when the engine isn't working hard it won't matter how you treat the after products.  My VW (older version not subject to recall) smells worse when the engine is idling than it does when everything is hot.  I have replaced the cat on mine but not because it plugged up because the weld cracked around it (known issue with the OEM pipe/cat)  As I recall the cat wasn't all that expensive and mine is pre-regen and pre-def type technologies.

Good luck!

Robert

quinnbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2015, 10:08:01 PM »
EGR/ cat systems, don't work, just do a goggle search on the International highway trucks or go to utube. There is a lot more to it , them just a cat....and they don't work!! Thats why  DEF has taken its place on diesel engines and DEF sucks too, but it works.
Cheers
Brian

vdubnut62

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 04:38:58 AM »
DEF may "work", but the darned things are VERY complicated and fairly unreliable. The company I work for keeps 3 Cummins Techs working at one of our  locations 5 days a week full time doing warranty work. That is at one location and we have 222 Service centers, and operate over 6400 trucks. The science behind the technology may be sound, but the implementation leaves something to be desired.
  I can say that the systems are "cussed" daily and thoroughly, without fail. 
Oh, the International system was invented and deployed by Caterpillar. When they couldn't make it work, they sold the C-13 and C-15 engine and emissions manufacturing rights to International and went out of the onroad diesel engine business.
Ron.
"The penalty good men pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men."   Plato.

"Remember, every time a child is responsibly introduced to the best tools for the protection of freedoms, a liberal weeps for the safety of a criminal." Anonymous