Author Topic: Carbon  (Read 2770 times)

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Carbon
« on: December 15, 2014, 01:15:07 AM »
So, I've got the exhaust pipe headed outside to the mufler, and the the exit points straight down (6 o'clock)  Over time, soot was accumulating on the side of the wall 4" away, so I stuck a sheet of sheet metal to divert the exhaust plume away from the building.
 Today, I noticed that there was (after about 80 hours use) about 1/3" of an inch of soft, dry fluffy carbon soot built up on the sheet metal.  I get a bigt of smoke right at startup, and if I ramp up the load slowly, the exhaust stays pretty clear.

So I have 2 questions.   
 1) is soft, dry, fluffy carbon normal
 2) would it be building up inside the pipe and muffler ?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: Carbon
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2014, 01:32:54 AM »
Soft and Fluffy... incomplete combustion. The good thing, this type will blow right out of your exhaust system even with the normal exhaust pulses. The bad thing, it might indicate you have a poorly atomizing fuel injection system. It might be worth taking a look at your nozzle and injection pressure. I have seen some cases where the exhaust passage closed down to about a 1/2" diameter tube. It all cleared out by banging on the exhaust system and muffler, and did not come back after changing out the injector for a good one.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations