Puppeteer

Author Topic: Mounting an engine-----  (Read 25306 times)

hotater

• View Profile
Re: Mounting an engine-----
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2006, 03:55:47 PM »
Guy---

I lived for many years near Marble, Colorado where the Yule Creek quarries operated for about fourty years...long enough to build the Lincoln Memorial, a whole bunch of Court Houses and the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at Arlington.    All the old mill buildings were long gone when I was there but the big pits of sand and a pile of white marble dust was evidence of the cable gang saws that cut the rock.   There were miles of two twist cable, worn cylindrically smooth and discarded in big piles....people hauled it off for concrete 're-inforcement' steel.

I've never seen a diamond saw that big!!  I just bought three ten inch lapidary blades.  Those were near breathtaking....
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2006, 04:10:43 PM »
Andre'--

GOOD point...   I'm the lazy type,  I can buy 80# sacks of premix for $2 a bag and just add water.  There's still that BIG hole to dig....
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2006, 04:18:02 PM »
This should do, see matey even has a nice saw handly to square it up for you.

;D

If that one is not big enough check with these guys.
http://oem.bmjjournals.com/content/vol62/issue6/images/large/om18721.f2.jpeg
They are using diamond wire saws to carve up the Alps.

Andre Blanchard

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2006, 04:25:13 PM »
Andre'--

GOOD point...   I'm the lazy type,  I can buy 80# sacks of premix for $2 a bag and just add water.  There's still that BIG hole to dig....

My dad has his own sand pit 1/2 mile down the road, the sand is clean enough and just the right mix of sizes to be used as is.  So while growing up anytime we were building something we would just take the tractor and trailer down and fill it up.
I have never been able to bring myself to buy something that is mostly just sand from a big box store.

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2006, 04:48:40 PM »
For anyone contemplating this or any other jobs involving mixing concrete, stucco or mortar, Harbor Freight has a great little mixer for $189

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=31979

...that mixes enough concrete or mortar in a batch to fill a big wheelbarrow.  I've poured concrete walkways, brick walls, stone walls, concrete block walls, and even poured a formed concrete retaining wall, then mixed stucco using the mixer.  Working alone, it'll mix your mix as fast as you can shovel sand, aggregate and cement. 

I've had 4 of them over the last 15 years or so.  They're sturdy and efficient mixers, and they're so cheap, when I'm done with the job, I sell it for $100 and save having to store it.  Mixing sackrete by hand using a tub is slow going.

Excuse the enthusiasm, but once you've used one of these things, you'll start finding all sorts of projects that need doing.

Halfnuts

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2006, 04:55:47 PM »
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

Doug

« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2006, 06:20:09 PM »
I just had a thought....

There is a product called "Rock Lock" used to hold rebar roof bolts. This might be a better option that grout. I amagine there are other non mining aplications that use similar epoxy to hold bolts in concrete....

Doug

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2006, 06:25:17 PM »
Dear Halfnuts,

Funny you should post that link today.  I just bought that exact mixer on wednesday.  Me and the 12 year old boy put it together last night.  He loves it.  Of course, when I have him shoveling sand, gravel and portland cement, he may form a somewhat different opinion.

I would just mention that they put the handle right under the motor where it's utterly useless.  30 minutes and a welder fixed that right up.

Dear Guy,

Do I get half credit if I run the chinese electric mixer with juice from an Indian Listeroid???

I also have a diesel tractor on order, and really want the 9 cu. ft. cement mixer that mounts on the 3 pt. hitch and is driven by the pto.  That's to pour the slab and whatnot for the new shop.

Finest regards to all,

troy

Halfnuts

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2006, 06:37:49 PM »
I preduct Guy will only allow that if you change out the generator and motor to 240V/50 Hz.   ;)

Halfnuts

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2006, 06:48:53 PM »
So Guy---- Do you have to mix the first batch by hand and mount the Lister concrete mixer to it before use?

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2006, 06:53:55 PM »
So Guy---- Do you have to mix the first batch by hand and mount the Lister concrete mixer to it before use?

No, the concrete mixers come on wheeled things, so they are mobile art, but you do have to repaint the inside of the drum the correct shade of green after each use...
--
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2006, 06:56:01 PM »
I preduct Guy will only allow that if you change out the generator and motor to 240V/50 Hz.   ;)

Halfnuts

And make sure to fill lube and fuel from containers marked in proper imperial gallons.

Imperial gallons are clearly much better than these damned colonial yankee gallons, which is why vehicles will travel more miles on an imperial gallon than a yankee one... 8)
--

Doug

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2006, 07:52:13 PM »
The US gallon is 3.8 litre 128 ounces, the imperial gallon is 4.5 litre 160 if anyone had any questions. This has caused more than one American tourist no end of grief when mixing oil for outboards. Just something to consider.

Doug

Peter Piper picked a peck of peppers.
Because 8 Quarts doesn't ryhm...

Geno

• View Profile
Been Making Good Progress
« Reply #28 on: July 23, 2006, 09:11:07 PM »
I've been busy at work for the past couple weeks but got a lot done anyway. This sucker ain't gonna shake!

http://www.genedevera.com/listeroid/#foundation1

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 23, 2006, 11:05:47 PM »
I'd a still got a kick out of that engine leaping out of the shed wearing clown shoes made out of floor timbers!

What's the height from floor to center of the crankshaft?  I'm about to do something similar.