Author Topic: More unexpected downtime  (Read 8136 times)

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
More unexpected downtime
« on: January 25, 2015, 12:23:41 PM »
Apologies for the lack of service yesterday & into today; for some reason, the daily website was REALLY slow, which prevented me from getting the root password (which is REALLY complicated), so I couldn't fix the databse :(

All done now, as you can see...

I'm going to look for somewhere else to host LEF - the virtual server we are on now is becoming flakey. More news as I get it...

Cheers,
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: More unexpected downtime
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »
Thanks for your efforts and quick response to the problems encountered!

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2015, 04:03:27 PM »
...I'm going to look for somewhere else to host LEF - the virtual server we are on now is becoming flakey. More news as I get it...

No need to jump too fast into something else.  Reliability of the forum has seemed to be pretty good over the last months, i can easily allow for a couple of slack days a year.   Most important is that the host stays updated with security patches to prevent hijacking

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2015, 07:54:16 PM »
...I'm going to look for somewhere else to host LEF - the virtual server we are on now is becoming flakey. More news as I get it...

No need to jump too fast into something else.  Reliability of the forum has seemed to be pretty good over the last months, i can easily allow for a couple of slack days a year.   Most important is that the host stays updated with security patches to prevent hijacking

Hm, well, probably the less said about that the better...

TBH this is not the first time Daily have let us down. The worst outage was, ironically, when I was stuck in hospital with pneumonia and pleurisy a few years back - 4 days of nothing...

The reason I am so sensitive to downtime is, the Lister Engine Forum of old would disappear for hours, days even weeks at a time. Unfortunately, we've permanently lost hundreds of members because of that. So every hour of downtime, to me, is deeply annoying and frustrating.  And anyway, this being my Virtual Server, I have a few bits of my own on it too, and I'd quite like them to be more available...

Fear not - there's no rushing involved, I've got a couple of possibilities lined up, just need to chose the right one & the right time to go.

Cheers!
Ade.
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

t19

• Tanks and Lister... Heavy Metal
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 12:21:44 AM »
Thanks Abe

Its nice to see how well the forum behaves... I have not had to jump in and break up a flame war in years
There is plenty of room for all of Gods creatures... right next to the mashed potatoes...