Puppeteer

Author Topic: Starters Die Off  (Read 3797 times)

tmcmurran

• View Profile
Starters Die Off
« on: October 05, 2014, 09:06:19 PM »
Anyone ever had an issue with starters going dead in a month?  Second one now a paper weight, and I can find no rhyme or reason as the the cause.  ???

ronmar

• View Profile
Re: Starters Die Off
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014, 12:32:58 AM »
Low voltage during crank will cause more current to be drawn which is harder on the windings...  Have you load tested the battery?
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014, 12:50:36 AM »
Fairly complex electromechanical devices, even a small problem will cause functional failure.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

M61hops

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2014, 10:27:44 PM »
I've had that happen with a rebuilt starter because when the commutator was turned down it didn't get the mica between the segments undercut.  After a little wear on the brushes or copper the brushes couldn't make electrical contact anymore and the starter quit working.  Often details count :P!  Thank god for lifetime warrenties at Kragen Auto!               Leland
I pray everyday giving thanks that I have one of the "fun" mental disorders!

tmcmurran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2014, 11:06:29 PM »
I know the first one was an under voltage that caused the issue.  The second one seems to be more mechanical in nature.  Battery was brought in to town and placed on a float charge for a week just to be sure.  My old burnt out starter needs to be rebuilt, and the replacement that was working great is being replaced.  Nice to have a back up when it is -40 or -60!! and you really do need to run it :)  Solar and the short days is not enough to keep the battery bank for the house loaded all day, and getting the 25Kw generator spinning is a must.