Puppeteer

Author Topic: HR3 Bleed Line  (Read 6137 times)

tmcmurran

• View Profile
HR3 Bleed Line
« on: September 02, 2014, 02:51:09 AM »
Might have something left open, then again I have always had the bleed line return to the fuel tank.  So today we switched over to a 200 gallon oil tank for our main fuel source and thought a 5 gallon Jerry can would be more than enough to catch any return fuel.  Ya well after 3 hours I went out to have a look and the Jerry can was overflowing.  Anyone know the max lift I can use effectively to have the bleed line return to the source, or is there a way to put a check valve on or some other possible solution to containing the fuel that now seems to flow a little too freely?

Never noticed the amount that returned till we switched tanks so I am unsure if I am leaving something open after it starts or what the reason for such a large volume of fuel to be going out the line?   ???

Thanks

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: HR3 Bleed Line
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2014, 03:30:31 AM »
How much tank elevation are we talking about? Normally an open return line should not be bothered with 5 or 10 feet of lift. We normally route our fixed installation return lines up almost to the ceiling to get them out of the way and do not use any check valves.
Various fuel injectors will leak-off differing amounts of fuel - from almost nothing to a fairly steady drip. How much will depend, in part, on condition of the injector/s.

On your HR engine mounted filter, do you have the leak-off connected to a fitting on the top of the filter? If so, it might be a factor that the non-return valve portion of that fitting is faulty.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

tmcmurran

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2014, 03:36:59 AM »
Will need to have a look next weekend when I get back.  The other-half knows about it and she is going to try to route a line up.  I say maybe three foot of rise max and about 6 feet from the bleed off point.  And it is directly off the injectors. If that makes any difference.

Thanks again for all the help with the starter :)  Would never have been able to get it going without your help.

« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 03:40:06 AM by tmcmurran »

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2014, 05:16:25 AM »
You might try the stock fuel return-line system and filter... it is also at least partially self-bleeding when properly installed and working. The excess fuel going past one or more injector/s is not a big issue but does indicate wear and tear or age. A brand new injector will often not leak-by anything at all - but can be a pain to purge on initial install.

Item 11 is your non-return valve.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:18:47 AM by dieselgman »

tmcmurran

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2014, 11:37:07 AM »
Ours has all the return valve hardware deleted.  It just runs from the three injector rail to a plastic line which returned the un-used fuel directly back to the tank.  Not sure if this was done during the rebuild or the person we bought it from just could not locate all the correct parts.  Never realized just how much was being returned till we changed the fuel tank the other day.   :-\

tmcmurran

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:56:13 PM »
Would installing a T from the return line to the main fuel line be an option?  Seems like it could be a simple fix!

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2014, 05:00:18 AM »
If I understand you correctly then you are referring to item #14 in the diagram... that is the tee return to fuel tank.

dieselgman

tmcmurran

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 06, 2014, 08:33:26 AM »
If I understand you correctly then you are referring to item #14 in the diagram... that is the tee return to fuel tank.

dieselgman

You are correct.  Due to the swing in temps the warmed fuel creates a little more condensation in the tank then anticipated.  Had it freeze up twice already and was thinking that adding a T from the bleed line to the main fuel line to recirculate the bleed line fuel with a check valve would work to send that fuel which comes from the bleed line back into the main fuel line to the engine pump.

It is not an ideal solution, but was a thought before building a structure or spray foaming the 400 gallon fuel tank and line.

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2014, 01:52:26 PM »
A day tank installed inside your generator space is the usual solution for cold climate generator operations. No condensation issue when the whole fuel circulation is contained within the heated space.

dieselgman