Puppeteer

Author Topic: My CS 6/1 "baby's"  (Read 33108 times)

Blue

• View Profile
Re: My CS 6/1 "baby's"
« Reply #60 on: July 14, 2014, 03:21:52 PM »
Your engine bed is sounding good now. Fairly standard in yachts and the like. Prime and paint the steel, tap holes in it to secure the engine mounts and it will last as long as you will ! You can cover most of it with fibreglass to bond it to the hull and also slow the rusting process.

Blue
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!

Pedro_at_Sea

• View Profile
    • HPV-NOMAD
« Reply #61 on: July 15, 2014, 01:42:49 AM »
Blue,
great, so I will go for that  ;)
Have a nice day
Pedro
LISTER CS 6/1 in my boat, LISTER CS 6/1 rebuild

I am a World-Citizen, I do not belong to any place or region. I claim the right to live and travel on any place on this globe.
                                                    utrinque paratus   ...     ubi panis ibi patria

Pedro_at_Sea

• View Profile
    • HPV-NOMAD
« Reply #62 on: July 15, 2014, 10:18:31 AM »
Singe skin or Sandwich Construction ?

Has anybody out there experiences with Foam Sandwich Construction  and using a LISTER thumper ?

Sandwich construction would save me a lot of weight and would make the hull a lot stiffer, good heat insulation and sound absorption too.
I am thinking of using 1" Core-Cell foam and put 4 layers of quatraxial E-glass 1000 g/m2 on the outside and 3 layers of the same on the inside.
Should give me a bullet proof hull  ;)

• I worry about the massive power stroke of the Cs 6/1, could that be a problem for the sandwich laminate ?

Single skin laminate would easily handle that, but would need many stringers and bulkheads to stiffen the hull.
No heat and sound insulation, has to be put in as extra and adds weight and much more work too ...

Thanks
Pedro

I am a World-Citizen, I do not belong to any place or region. I claim the right to live and travel on any place on this globe.

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 15, 2014, 12:44:57 PM »
No foam below the waterline.
Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Pedro_at_Sea

• View Profile
    • HPV-NOMAD
« Reply #64 on: July 15, 2014, 01:52:23 PM »
Gary,
thanks for your comment.
Just found out the same trough intensive research on the net.
So what's the point then to use foam sandwich at all ???
Just too risky for a work boat like mine, for racing maybe worth to save that weight.
So I will go for a single skin laminate and can be sure that nothing delaminates and fall appart  ;)
Have a great day
Pedro

overbore

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 15, 2014, 06:01:28 PM »
Pedro,
I have long years of live aboard marine experience and former marine based business plus bunch of marine patents so I have the following facts to share with you:
1. Below he waterline, never, ever for any reason, use polyester resin for hull laminates as osmotic blistering will happen and if you have foam core you will have major $$$$ problem.

2. Try hard to get the thrust alignment bang on as every degree off eats power.

3. If your design allows, get an integral skeg to protect the expensive prop which otherwise will bend in a grounding.

Best of luck and enjoy your vessel,
overbore

32 coupe

• "Doc Johnson" on call !
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 15, 2014, 09:41:39 PM »
Yep, vinyl ester for the hull.
l prefer epoxy for everything but cost can be a factor.

Metro 6/1 turning a ST 7.5 KW gen head
Changfa 1115 turning a ST 15 KW gen head
Ashwamegh 2/25
John Deere 110 TBL
New Holland TC 30

"I was sitting here reading this thinking what an idiot you are until I realized it was one of my earlier posts !"

Pedro_at_Sea

• View Profile
    • HPV-NOMAD
« Reply #67 on: July 16, 2014, 01:46:40 AM »
overbore,

thanks for your input.
I totally agree with you and would not touch polyester at all.

I will build in EPOXY throughout, costs me double of polyester but in the long run I win, definitely.
Also I am building this boat in a housing community and no one would accept the smell of polyester, me included  ;)

Osmosis is a nightmare for everyone who owns a boat built out of polyester !!!

I also prefer to work with Epoxy's, almost no smell and a long open time, this material is much stronger too.

I will use quatraxial E-glass throughout, which calls for Epoxy too, this will give me an extremely strong hull, all strength data's are at least double (most triple) compared to Polyester and CSM/roving layup.

Drive line will be , perfect in line with the power thrust and built into a LONG keel to protect the prop and rudder.

Gary,

Vinyl Ester is good staff too, but I can get Epoxy for the same price (direct from the factory), therefore I go for Epoxy  ;)

Both of you have a great day
Pedro

Startomatic

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: December 24, 2014, 04:08:59 AM »
all,

season greetings.

i am writing on behalf for the author.

these 2 engines are now available for sales.

if you are in this part of the world, and you are keen to acquire it, pls pm me.

author has now migrated to a south america country and attempt to import these 2 engines the last few months has proven to be futile and costly.

both are genuine Dursley unit. the spoked light flywheel unit was rebuilt by author with some Indian spares. the startomatic unit is all original except for a mico fuel injector.
Lister 6/1 with ST5,Lister SL3, JP1
Yanmar Diesel L10,TS65,TS105 with Interpump hp head
Yanmar 3TN72, NT110 with ST5
Andoria S320
Kubota Z400 Twin Diesel with KEW 1500 hp head
Isuzu 25KVA Diesel silenced Genset
ChangChai EV80
JianDong 1115
Shineray250 watercooled- gasoline
ListerHRW3water