Puppeteer

Author Topic: coolant water pump ideas?  (Read 16159 times)

GuyFawkes

• View Profile
    • stuff
Re: coolant water pump ideas?
« Reply #30 on: July 17, 2006, 04:48:15 PM »
as someone else said, a small power steering pump will do nicely...
--
Original Lister CS 6/1 Start-o-matic 2.5 Kw (radiator conversion)
3Kw 130 VDC Dynamo to be added. (compressor + hyd pump)
Original Lister D, megasquirt multifuel project, compressor and truck alternator.
Current status - project / standby, Fuel, good old pump diesel.

solarguy

• View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 17, 2006, 06:41:34 PM »
Dear Firebrick,

I didn't see a price for the cute little gear pump.  Any idea what they charge?

Strictly curiosity, as I am building a little piston pump for oil filtration (belt driven).

Finest regards,

troy

bitsnpieces1

• View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2006, 01:46:45 AM »
  How about a clothes washing machine water pump?  Capable of high volume, relatively low pressure, and HOT HOT water welcome.  Most are bracket mounted and belt driven. 
Lister Petter AC1, Listeroid 12/1, Briggs & Stratton ZZ, various US Mil. surplus engines. Crosley (American) 4cyl marine engine(26hp).

rocketboy

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 23, 2006, 05:16:27 PM »
Ive rigged up and tested my 6/1 for several days now with an electric water pump and it works very well. Longevity is a serious concern but so far it's great.

The pump is a blue Harbor Freight 1" clear water pump sold for $29. It moves water like crazy, with only a 1 degree spread from the top to the bottom of the radiator. It draws 2.9 amps at 110 which sucks a bit but wow. Using a small Honda goldwing radiator it effortlessly runs at 155 deg with a 3000 watt load on a 93 deg day.

Using the pump allowed my to make a smaller genset that was a couple feet lower and more compact. It also allows the use of a smaller radiator.

RB
Sadly, artificial intelligence will never be a match for natural stupidiy.

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 23, 2006, 07:37:01 PM »
Rocket Boy--

Its' been over a hundred here and mine is running 'hot water to waste' with an auto fill ten gallon tank for cooling water.
  You'll find fuel effeciency and performance go WAY UP when the temperature of the engine goes up.
    Mine runs at 198 degrees and uses 6 gallons of water an HOUR.  You don't need a pump at all if you have a steady supply of water.  Gravity flow from a rain barrell would work fine.  With a thermostat at the exit, it only uses what water it needs.....and thats' NOT much.
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Doug

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2006, 03:19:24 AM »
This is more of a question for Mike Monteith:
But I welcome any sugestions from others familiar with the Petter design and its optional cross head threw cooling or full block flow convection like a lister.

Mike's manual can be seen at:
http://www.listeroids.com/files/gm-90_manual.PDF

Mike on your website your Imex manual shows a picture and exploded view of a side mounted water pump ( plate 7 ). This appears to be the same pump as equiped on my Petter ( currently in a container on the Asian Gyro ).
Any thought on the best way to plumb this with the Petter and a thermostat?
Cross flow threw the head or up threw the block and out the head ( as in plate 8 )

Doug

listeroidsusa

« Reply #36 on: July 31, 2006, 04:01:44 AM »
Your engine will have the hose nipples cast into the flange block on the water port. (top port) I'd take a hacksaw and cut it off and tap the flange for a pipe fitting. I'd run the water through the block from the lower fitting and out the head. I'm a bit behind on my work, (lots of orders) but I'd be glad to build a 3 port thermostat housing for you. I've got orders for about a dozen so far and will be setting up my cnc lathe soon to run a batch of 50.

Mike

Doug

« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2006, 12:04:24 AM »
Thanks Mike:
I have to see what the actual set up looks like when the boat comes in....

Doug