Puppeteer

Author Topic: Reduce Vibration To Muffler  (Read 8701 times)

Listerational

• View Profile
Reduce Vibration To Muffler
« on: May 24, 2014, 09:58:50 PM »
Hello,
I have a Powerline 10/1 with a 10' X 2" pipe and muffler exhaust assembly system. There is no place to add a piece of flexible 2" line at the beginning of the assembly without cutting a new hole in my garage roof for the new pipe location. I was thinking about replacing the system with a piece of flexible 2" hose about 10' long. I do not like the idea but it beats cracking my cylinder. Are there any other methods to reduce vibration to a muffler / pipe assembly other than the standard flex hoses offered on the market?
Thanks,
Jim

honda lee

• View Profile
Re: Reduce Vibration To Muffler
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2014, 12:20:37 AM »
Why would you have to do that if you have 10 feet of pipe? If it is just a matter of supporting the weight then makes something to support the weight. I used a 18" piece of 2" flexible pipe  shortly after the engine flange bad then just set up a support fur the weight for the rest of the exhaust pipe. Post some pics

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2014, 12:57:55 AM »
So it comes out of the head horizontal and then turns vertical  after how far?  You could put the flex section in right after the upward turn which would de-couple all the vertical mass...

PS 6/1 - ST-5.

BruceM

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 02:25:30 AM »
+1 Ronmar's suggestion. If the 10 feet is all vertical, just put the stainless flex section right after the turn up.  Use muffler hangers with rubber bits (from your muffler shop) to suspend the vertical section just below the roof.  You don't want that weight on the flex section or the exhaust manifold/head.

PaperPatched

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2014, 01:08:57 PM »
Hello,
         I will also be piping the exhaust of my SR out of my garage.  Even though I am not ready to install in the garage I wanted to reduce stress on the exhaust manifold so I installed a stainless steel flex coupling that is used in modifying car exhaust systems. I bought the coupling from JEGS (www.jegs.com):

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2014, 01:47:48 PM »
+1 Ronmar's suggestion. If the 10 feet is all vertical, just put the stainless flex section right after the turn up.  Use muffler hangers with rubber bits (from your muffler shop) to suspend the vertical section just below the roof.  You don't want that weight on the flex section or the exhaust manifold/head.

Intelligent solution, thanks.

Listerational

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2014, 01:50:06 PM »
Hello,
         I will also be piping the exhaust of my SR out of my garage.  Even though I am not ready to install in the garage I wanted to reduce stress on the exhaust manifold so I installed a stainless steel flex coupling that is used in modifying car exhaust systems. I bought the coupling from JEGS (www.jegs.com):

Interesting flex coupling PaperPatched. Is it sealed from gases leaking out of it?

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2014, 04:03:36 PM »
We also use the stainless steel flex couplings in our exhaust runs... somewhat longer through the bellows and also reinforced on the outside with metal braid. These are sealed and last a very long time if not stressed too much.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

cujet

• Lister power rules!
    • View Profile
    • www.cujet.com
« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2014, 11:41:20 PM »
Advanced auto parts sells a reinforced section of flex tubing that can be fitted to an exhaust. These are quite capable of handling movement, as they are designed for Front Wheel Drive cars, where the engine rotates forward/aft on each shift.
People who count on their fingers should maintain a discreet silence

buickanddeere

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2014, 12:04:14 AM »
  Have the engine been 100% balanced in either the vertical or horizontal plane? That would almost eliminate motion along one axis.