Author Topic: 8hp CD Lister  (Read 3935 times)

cobbadog

• View Profile
8hp CD Lister
« on: May 21, 2014, 06:12:59 AM »
We have a 8hp CD Lister that starts and runs very nicely but I need to attach an external oil tank to this engine as it was originally. This has the twin geared pump behind the flywheel and all the pipe work and valves still in place and now I am looking at getting a tank made I need some advise as to what height this should be mounted. One picture I have seen for our engine shows the bottom of the tank should sit just above the height of the oil pump, is this right?
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.

richardhula

Re: 8hp CD Lister
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:31 PM »
The CD manual I looked at only mentions the location of the oil pressure pump on the conventional industrial engine with oil in sump. It mentions its mounted below the oil level so no issues on suction side.

On the dry sump marine JP2M I have its suggested the base of the six (Imperial) gallon tank is level with the crankshaft. My installation places it about 8 inches higher to allow for under floor access and easy draining, although I have seen them mounted higher. This creates no problems since there is a pressure operated check valve in the oil supply to pressure pump, but to be sure I have fitted a stop valve to the feed from the tank when engine not in use for some time. Note there are two cleanable filter screens towards top of tank mounted on a baffle below the scavenge pump return as well as a tank breather at top. If you are planning on full flow oil filtration, a suitable filter can be fitted in the return feed to tank.

Not sure if this helps but it shows a dry sump 9/1 (JP1) demo installation which appears to have around 4 gallon tank.

To sum up, tank location and capacity are probably not critical as long as there is a head of oil to pressure pump.

cobbadog

• View Profile
Re: 8hp CD Lister
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:38:25 AM »
Hi Richard,
Thank you for your prompt reply. It helps me a lot with my problem. I am surprised that it needs to hold so much oil as it has been suggested to me that a tank that holds 6 litres is enough for the rally scene. I liked the idea of a stop valve and an in line oil filter all which are great ideas. The tank that you have shown is similar if not the same as the diagram I have found for our engine. Now all I have to do is find or make one like it. I was aware of the screen/s inside the tank to remove air from the oil and I will do the same. I have also considered running a small oil line to the rocker gear to keep oil up to them to minimise the wear on the bushes and rocker shaft.
Coopernook - the centre of our Universe.