Author Topic: SR3 Controller Unit,  (Read 2885 times)

Retrolamp

• View Profile
SR3 Controller Unit,
« on: May 18, 2014, 10:49:32 PM »
Hi all ,

Please excuse my ignorance, a friend has very kindly just finished restoring my Lister SR3 for a Narrowboat I have am fitting out.  When I bought the boat there was no Controller Unit for the engine.  I am looking at the wire diagram and just getting my head around it.  Is this something I need can I get around not having one, what does it do ?? Please excuse my ignorance again

Phil

Retrolamp

• View Profile
Re: SR3 Controller Unit,
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 10:54:53 PM »
Ok, I am looking at the wiring diagram for a dynamo ! is the controller unit a voltage regulator.  And does anyone know where I can get a diagram for a dynamo version.  Also I would like an electronic start stop and nor rely on the mechanical one, i.e. adding a desiel start stop solenoid

Cheers in advance

ristle

• View Profile
Re: SR3 Controller Unit,
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:32 PM »
The easiest way is probably to look up the diagram in the back of the users manual. It's pretty straightforward. The cable lug type terminals on the dynamo are marked + and -. You connect - to the starter motor and + to an ammeter in the controller unit. Then there are two faston type terminals for the excitation marked A and F. You connect those straight to A and F of the charge controller. The charge controller needs - from the battery. Inside the control unit you loop WF of the charge controller through a warning light and the "ignition" switch to + from the battery. This battery plus is also connected to the other end of the ammeter.
Those older engines were usually switched off mechanically by a remote (bowden) wire to the shutoff valve on the injector pump.