Author Topic: SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out Decal Wording  (Read 4147 times)

PaperPatched

• View Profile
SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out Decal Wording
« on: May 04, 2014, 01:46:20 AM »
Hello,

I've started scraping/de-greasing/cleaning my SR2.  There is a decal on the camshaft guard that looks like this"

Can you supply the missing words?

I started the SR2 for the first time today.  I did not have to pull out the plunger and set the pointed tab on the rim of the cylinder (it was already there).  I stopped the engine and re-started and the same was true.
From what I can make out of the existing wording it looks like the plunger should be set on the rim to start, then building oil pressure pushes it out enough that the pointed tab springs away from the cylinder and if oil pressure falls the plunger is then free to retract and stop the engine. Or, I could have it all wrong.

Thanks for your Assistance!

Alan

PaperPatched

• View Profile
Re: SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:06:44 AM »
The Low Oil Pressure Cut Out:

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out Decal Wording
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:10:53 AM »
Alan,

You seem to have it right... oil pressure keeps the actuator/plunger in place until shut-down or a Low Oil Pressure event. I would guess that your unit is not operational or it would have required a reset to start the engine at next go. If your oil pressure is really good in that unit and the actuator working really well, it is possible that the plunger will retract as soon as you crank the engine a bit and build oil pressure. A visual inspection during operation will answer that question.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 04, 2014, 03:15:41 AM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

PaperPatched

• View Profile
Re: SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2014, 04:10:08 PM »
Thank You for your reply, which I read some time ago, and it is evident as I read through other posts that you are a valuable resource here.

I have another questions about the Low Pressure cut out.  I've been reluctant to add an oil pressure gauge to check the actual pressure as I'm not sure how to deal with what are probably British Pipe threads. I'm not sure how to add in the gauge (although I do all my own home plumbing).

Also is the Low Oil Pressure cut out rebuild-able and/or replaceable? Do you stock rebuild parts or a complete unit or another way to handle a low oil pressure event ? 

Thanks Again, Alan

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
Re: SR2 Oil Pressure Cut-Out Decal Wording
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2014, 04:56:10 PM »
There are lots of methods for shutting down under fault conditions... the control you picture is a very simple device but no known service parts available per se. You could dismantle and match up the seals with something generic though. We have a larger version of this that is common on oilfield engines where they run no electrics at all.

The modern replacement is an electric solenoid connected via lever to your fuel rack. Woodward 1502 is the common Lister item. Of course you will also need to mount a pressure sensor and the linkages and wiring to enable an electric replacement solenoid.

You can easily fit SAE pipe thread to this engine... especially the very tiny hole above the oil filter (can fit 1/8" mpt) which is the normal oil pressure take-off point.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations