Puppeteer

Author Topic: Mid Brusnwick Green Paint Match Offer  (Read 12700 times)

PaperPatched

• View Profile
Mid Brusnwick Green Paint Match Offer
« on: April 24, 2014, 12:10:30 PM »
Hello,

I purchased a 1972 Lister SR2 this winter and would like to give it a repaint when the weather warms up a bit. I am the manager of a paint department in a True Value Hardware store. If someone would send me a good sample of "Mid Brunswick Green", BS381C shade 226, I would color match it into an oil based enamel and publish the formula here. The initial match would be done with an X-Rite iVue instrument and either True Value or Benjamin Moore software, and then hand matched (30 yrs. of doing this) if necessary.

To prepare a sample put a coat of paint on white computer paper (common 20 pound stock) at least 2 inches  square. Follow with a second coat when the first is dry.
When the second coat is dry hold the sample against a fluorescent light bulb (tube) and look for light transmission through the paint film.  If there is ANY light from pinholes, brush streaks, of other defects in the film I will not be able to use the sample.

Since the original paint is an enamel the sample will have to dry for a couple of weeks before being mailed. Even then it would be best to put a layer of waxed paper against the paint film to prevent my receiving a paper-paint-paper laminate after passage of the envelope through the rollers of our post office machines.

If you send me a personal message I will send my mailing address. Let's see if this works!

Alan

38ac

• View Profile
Re: Mid Brusnwick Green Paint Match Offer
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2014, 12:27:20 PM »
Thanks! I have tried to get this done locally but for some reason it just hasnt come up with anything closer than I could purchase premixed.   Where are you located?  I have a pristine LD1  that I would let you scan and also take home a few gallons if your close enough
Collector and horder of about anything diesel

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 01:17:32 PM »
We might have an interest if you can do this in a polyurethane 2-part system like Dupont IMRON. I have always had to go with a stock formula for Fruehauf Green with just a little extra black pigment to darken slightly. We have examples of fully cured OEM paint on metal, but have not tried the local paint suppliers for a 100% color match.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

PaperPatched

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 05:37:15 PM »
I'm in central Massachusetts.

I don't have access to Imron  or anything exotic, just single-part acrylics, and oils (rapidly disappearing due to VOC regulations).

If anyone is close enough I could scan a part that has a flat surface, however I bet the paint has aged (yellowed & darkened) considerably since it was put on in Dursley.

I understand that this color is still available across the pond, however shipping puts that out of reach, at least for me. Perhaps a Brit will mail me a sample (hint, hint!).

alan

deeiche

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 06:36:12 PM »
I'm in central Massachusetts.

I don't have access to Imron  or anything exotic, just single-part acrylics, and oils (rapidly disappearing due to VOC regulations).

SNIP
Imron is not exotic, when I worked at an Auto Parts Warehouse oh so many years ago we used to sell it to auto paint and bodyshops.

listeroil

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 10:39:10 PM »
I dont know if this is any use. The colour in these pictures look totally different the colour in real life.

Mick
« Last Edit: May 03, 2014, 12:51:30 PM by listeroil »

PaperPatched

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 02:42:29 PM »
Thanks very much for the information. I just spent some time with Photoshop and Qimage both cropping out the green in the image and by using the Lab color settings and by using the RGB values.  I printed four images using Epson "Premium Photo Paper Glossy" on my Epson 3800 color printer.  I have two that are very close to each other, one that is a much bluer green, and one a very black green. Looking more closely at my engine, it appears that the person I purchased it from painted over a red using an unidentified green paint (Rustoleum  "Dark Hunter Green" ?), so I have nothing at all to judge color by.  It isn't of great consequence to me for this is to be a working engine, not a traveling exhibit, but I thought I might as well match up something that others could use.  If both of us had on each end of the electronic pipeline a graphics monitor, X-rite Color Munki instrument, scanner, and about $500.00 in software (I may be out of date on the cost now.) we could make this work electronically.

Thanks again for the information, I will keep a copy in the hope that I get access to more equipment in the future.

Off to the hardware store for some return line fuel tubing.  I'm getting closer to first start up. I'd really like to get the SR2 warmed up so I can change out the old black oil!

Alan

PaperPatched

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 01:54:08 AM »
Time and temperature finally coincided today and I had a chance to start cleaning my SR2 genset.

I took off the camshaft exrtension guard and scraped out about a half pound of dirt. Under there was some green paint.

Here is how it looks next to some of the prints of Lab, and two versions of sRGB Mid-Brunswick Green:

Do any of these resemble the original Lister color?

Is the red I am seeing the green in some areas the primer that Lister used?

Alan

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2014, 02:24:36 AM »
The red oxide primer you see is standard Lister. The darker portion of your guard appears to be the correct Lister green... but we are dealing with computer monitors and colors can be completely deceptive.

dieselgman
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

sirpedrosa

• 21NOV2019 - Finally I hear that sound... again
    • View Profile
Re: Mid Brusnwick Green Paint -
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 05:03:38 PM »
Hi Gentles

Here is the genuine 381C 226: https://listerengine.com/smf/index.php?topic=8333.msg100163#msg100163

marvelous!

VP
By order of firing up:
Bernard 18A - 1968 (mama's water pump - year of my birth)
Petter PAZ1 - Jun 1967, 3HP, sn 416xxxx
Petter PAZ1 - Nov 1979, 3HP, sn 425xxxx
Lister 12/2 - 12651227, the pearl!
Deutz MAH 914, 1952 - Zündfix in chamber and go (7Mai2023).

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2020, 12:43:24 AM »
Not sure if this helps...
A few years ago I went to a paint shop and had them blend a quart of paint according to the Lister colour spec.
Somewhere I had found the components of mid-brunswick green.
Below is the modern CIL paint spec for this colour. Any paint shop should be able to make some from this label.
I used it to paint my Listeroid.

No guarantees that it exactly matches the original Dursley Lister colour.
I have not been able to find a genuine Lister to compare colours.

veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)