How to / DIY > Everything else

Mid Brusnwick Green Paint Match Offer

(1/3) > >>

PaperPatched:
Hello,

I purchased a 1972 Lister SR2 this winter and would like to give it a repaint when the weather warms up a bit. I am the manager of a paint department in a True Value Hardware store. If someone would send me a good sample of "Mid Brunswick Green", BS381C shade 226, I would color match it into an oil based enamel and publish the formula here. The initial match would be done with an X-Rite iVue instrument and either True Value or Benjamin Moore software, and then hand matched (30 yrs. of doing this) if necessary.

To prepare a sample put a coat of paint on white computer paper (common 20 pound stock) at least 2 inches  square. Follow with a second coat when the first is dry.
When the second coat is dry hold the sample against a fluorescent light bulb (tube) and look for light transmission through the paint film.  If there is ANY light from pinholes, brush streaks, of other defects in the film I will not be able to use the sample.

Since the original paint is an enamel the sample will have to dry for a couple of weeks before being mailed. Even then it would be best to put a layer of waxed paper against the paint film to prevent my receiving a paper-paint-paper laminate after passage of the envelope through the rollers of our post office machines.

If you send me a personal message I will send my mailing address. Let's see if this works!

Alan

38ac:
Thanks! I have tried to get this done locally but for some reason it just hasnt come up with anything closer than I could purchase premixed.   Where are you located?  I have a pristine LD1  that I would let you scan and also take home a few gallons if your close enough

dieselgman:
We might have an interest if you can do this in a polyurethane 2-part system like Dupont IMRON. I have always had to go with a stock formula for Fruehauf Green with just a little extra black pigment to darken slightly. We have examples of fully cured OEM paint on metal, but have not tried the local paint suppliers for a 100% color match.

dieselgman

PaperPatched:
I'm in central Massachusetts.

I don't have access to Imron  or anything exotic, just single-part acrylics, and oils (rapidly disappearing due to VOC regulations).

If anyone is close enough I could scan a part that has a flat surface, however I bet the paint has aged (yellowed & darkened) considerably since it was put on in Dursley.

I understand that this color is still available across the pond, however shipping puts that out of reach, at least for me. Perhaps a Brit will mail me a sample (hint, hint!).

alan

deeiche:

--- Quote from: PaperPatched on April 24, 2014, 05:37:15 PM ---I'm in central Massachusetts.

I don't have access to Imron  or anything exotic, just single-part acrylics, and oils (rapidly disappearing due to VOC regulations).

SNIP

--- End quote ---
Imron is not exotic, when I worked at an Auto Parts Warehouse oh so many years ago we used to sell it to auto paint and bodyshops.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version