Puppeteer

Author Topic: picked up a toyo diesel pickup :)  (Read 17674 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
picked up a toyo diesel pickup :)
« on: July 01, 2006, 01:03:25 PM »
well i found, purchased and brought home a cute little 83 toyota pickup, a 1L diesel

looking forward to installing a flatbed, and rigging it for use in my planned offgrid existance.

running it on waste oil blends and grain oils are the plan.

i won't be happy until everything i own runs on oil!

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

kyradawg

Re: picked up a toyo diesel pickup :)
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 01:20:33 PM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren
« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:11:34 AM by kyradawg »

Doug

« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 03:20:51 PM »
I drive Toyota land cruiser trucks in the mines, fantastic little machines. Nothing short of maizing how good on fuel and reliable they are....

Doug

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 06:32:33 PM »
We had the landcruiser pickups(diesel) on our base(4 years ago when I was in the service)  in okinawa and I was really impressed with them.  I even came to like the 5 on the tree and wished that the would offer that setup in the states, I would buy one in a heartbeat. 

listeroidsusa

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2006, 09:12:34 PM »
Since we have not been able to buy a new small pickup powered by a diesel since the late 80's and my "84 Mazda B2200 diesel has over 400,000 troublefree miles on it I have been looking for a later model body to build one to my preferences. I ran into a pretty good deal on a Mitsubishi Mighty Max pickup with a bad engine. Last week I found one of the Cummins "A" series 4 cylinder diesel smog engines for a good price. The Mighty Max burns a quart of oil every 100 miles and the clutch is slipping so now looks like a good time to  unite the Cummins and the Mitsubishi. My Mazda got 52 mpg on the highway and 39 mpg around town. The gas powered Mitsubishi gets <20 mpg around town but also weighs almost a thousand pounds less than  the Mazda B2200. This is going to be an  interesting engine swap!

Mike

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2006, 01:39:53 AM »
well so far have done some research and it seems this little toyota p/u's diesel has a timing belt, and a light that goes off in the
dash to let you know at 100k miles it is time to change it.

well after 23 years, and 86k miles i figure to replace it before i drive it much, my luck and all :)
i will replace the w/pump with its loose brgs at the same time, along with the idler and tensioner.

replaced a cracked air intake pipe from aircleaner to intake,  wow, that might have been a problem for this little guy if the
previous owner had driven it much in a dusty environment.

also found a site/forum on toyo diesel's and found out the following

the 81 to 83 model 2.2L  L-engine is reputed to get the best mileage of the toyo diesels,
it also has cylinder liners, which should mean a pretty well designed long life engine.

what little i have driven it, i love it. at 2600# it is like a gokart with a p/u bed,,, too cool :)
bob g

kyradawg

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2006, 02:58:11 AM »

Peace&Love :D, Darren

« Last Edit: August 03, 2006, 03:10:03 AM by kyradawg »

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2006, 03:03:33 AM »

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2006, 03:23:51 AM »
http://community.webshots.com/photo/546937123/2490658190028237237gmGejR

This is a 2WD, 1985 Jeep CJ-10A military tug with a Nissan 2.2 diesel.  Sweet rig!
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Dail R H

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2006, 04:55:24 PM »
   I'M AN IDIOT !!!!! That shouldn't come a a real surprise to anyone. I've been looking for a little diesel beater truck,just a local daily driver. I have an '85 Nissan 4x4 with a bad carb. Just dawned on me what I need to do,put a dieselin instead of paying $300. for a carb.
   Question is ,anybody know of a Nissan forum? I ain't having any luck

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2006, 06:17:49 PM »
Here's the Binder Bulletin.  The IH Scouts used both normally aspirated and turbo Nissan SD-33 diesel engine.

http://www.binderbulletin.org/
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2006, 07:05:21 PM »
yes the scouts did offer the nissan diesel, it wasnt a power house but was adequate.
it did have alot of bottom end torque, a real stump puller in low 4wheel drive.
oh yes, and they ran forever

bob g

Tom

• Green power is good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2006, 10:40:26 PM »
I'm thinking of pulling the 345 V8 in my Scout and installing an IH VT275 diesel V6. It has about the same torque and HP as the 345 and should deliver double the MPG.

I drove a Scout w/ turbo diesel Nissan and was not impressed.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2006, 10:44:53 PM by Tom »
Tom
2004 Ashwamegh 6/1 #217 - ST5 just over 3k hours.

Doug

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2006, 02:32:52 PM »
I wish I could buy one of these Toyota Land Cruisers. I know a guy who imports them from Belgium and sells them for off road use but you buy them here just as a daily driver....

We get about 3 or 4 years out of them before they crap out....
Not bda considering a Chev or a Dodge only lasts a year down here. We also tried Unimoogs they worked nice and Hummers ( but they fell apart and were too wide).

http://www.putfile.com/dougwp
 Oh ya also included is my Petter as built still in transit from India, and My chum Rosie pulling out of the garage with the K1050E she drives underground

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2006, 03:38:52 PM »
There's a LOT of interest in the old GM 6.2L diesels for installation in the Scouts and IH Travelers as well as Jeeps and others amoung the rock crawlers and hill climbers.  They're cheap and easy and most folks think they're the re-built 350 gas engine, but they aren't.   LOTS of them around.
  I'm not a car guy, but I read about the conversion and it makes a lot of sense.  Size and weight are right and transmission and transfer cases are plentiful and easy
   The military bought a BUNCH of these in the early 80s.