Author Topic: blended waste motor oil results  (Read 59259 times)

mobile_bob

• Administrator
    • View Profile
blended waste motor oil results
« on: July 01, 2006, 12:59:54 PM »
just thought i would post re blending waste oil in with diesel

we recently purchased a one ton ford, 87 model with the old 7.3 mechanical engine (diesel)
it came with dual tanks so it made for a good test dummy

my partner mixed 15/40 waste oil at 60/40 (60% waste oil), it was triple filtered and filled the rear tank.

the truck now is started off the front tank and pure diesel, run to temp and switched over while running, switched back over to purge the system making for easier and cleaner starts.

results:

a.  no more smoke than usual

b. a smoother running engine, likely from slower burn rate of the oil/diesel fuel

c. more power, but unable to document how much more at this time, it just pulls a bit harder

d. mileage increased from 12 mpg to just over 24 mpg!

i wouldnt suggest this thick of a mix, for one of the new direct injection engines or electronic injection, but it does seem to work on this old 7.3l ford
in our business, converting waste oil to 3 dollar plus fuel source is very significant to our bottom line. besides we generate a couple hundred gallons per month.

bob g
otherpower.com, microcogen.info, practicalmachinist.com
(useful forums), utterpower.com for all sorts of diy info

Doug

Re: blended waste motor oil results
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2006, 03:45:07 PM »
When I worked for Pheonix Petroleum we made fuel oil from waste lubricants....

My service truck got aprox 10% better ecconomy on "Pheonox Fuel" because we had a slightly higher BTu content and cetane rating. It was a little sootier than pump fuel.

Doug

Ironworks

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2006, 10:54:26 PM »
I dump my crankcase oil in my fuel tank on my diesel truck just so I dont have to dispose of it.  I have no problems and yes I too noticed the engine seemed to run better.

albany dbd

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2006, 04:27:11 AM »
ive been running my 2001 dodge on 75% waist motor oil for 35000 miles no problems i do filter it well and will thin it a bit more when it gets down around the freezing mark with is only a couple months here in oregon. 
class 5 steam fitter - millwright - class 6 code pipe and pressure vessel welder - fabricator.  oh and good old country boy from the farm. 
( Beat it to fit paint to match ) oh and X-ray of course

ronsmith

• View Profile
    • Bentleybranch studio
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2006, 07:49:23 PM »
I've been burning waste motor oil and used hydraulic oil in my petter without noticing much difference in the smokiness of the exhaust. I started it up on vegetable oil for the first run . It smoked on veg. oil, diesel, wmo and hyd oil. Just the nature of the beast I guess.  :'(

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2006, 08:14:22 PM »
albany dbd....what part of oregon are you? I'm in Albany.
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

albany dbd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2006, 01:34:35 AM »
im in albany also riverside dr.
class 5 steam fitter - millwright - class 6 code pipe and pressure vessel welder - fabricator.  oh and good old country boy from the farm. 
( Beat it to fit paint to match ) oh and X-ray of course

profoisin

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2006, 05:47:01 PM »
Hello I run 80/20 waste oil 80 watse 20 diesel but all of my oil is filtered trough tolet paper rolls they are cheap and you can burn the roll after about 50 gallons. all you need is a canister with a alltread and two plates on each end you must remove the cardboard first though. My 14 hp runs great and has about a couple hundred hours so far. Also where we live there are oil wells everywhere is seems to run ok on crude also.

emerald

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2006, 07:02:36 PM »
I run on 100% filtered waste engine oil. Works fine in a genuine CS. No problems and close on 1000 hours up on it.

Emerald

xyzer

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2006, 07:51:50 PM »
I would like to start burning my used motor oil  and hydraulic oil in my Dodge and Listeroid. It appears from the lurking I've been doing The biggest problem (mess) you have to deal with is filtering the waste oil. What seems to be the best cheapest and cleanest way to this? How well does it need to be filtered?

Thanks
Dave
Vidhata 6/1 portable
Power Solutions portable 6/1
Z482 KUBOTA

GIII

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2006, 04:41:08 AM »
We burn waste oil in the Atlas, 2-71, and listeroid with no problem at about 30-40%, even winter starting is ok.  The fuel system is such that a transfer pump circulates at 10 gpm through a 40 micron filter.  Be careful about the quality of the waste oil; no water, waste solvents, other boogers...
A thought if this is to be used in an on hiway vehicle is that it will ualify as untaxed fuel if one is caught by the guys with the sysphon tube.  It would take alot of waste oil to make up for the $5000 fine.

Doug

« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2006, 02:46:09 AM »
Fliter coloured fuel through bread and fullers earth removes the dye....

Doug

hotater

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2006, 05:40:58 AM »
The local cheese factories use enzymes that're shipped in poly tanks surrounded by an aluminum frame.  They hold 266 gallons and have a ball valve at the bottom and a four inch (!) opening at the top.  A friend has used them for waste oil and old fuel for a couple of years and they hold up well.

Here's the challenge:  Design a passive (no power) filter that fits on the top of the tank and stays in place and is weather proof.  I'm looking for a way to dump sump oil and have clean oil drain into the poly tank and NOT have the occasional rain be funneled into the oil tank. 
  A paper towel filter with a collector tank that's 'pressurized' by  a heavy plunger lid that seals AND forces oil though the filter??

Ideas?
7200 hrs on 6-1/5Kw, FuKing Listeroid,
Currently running PS-Kit 6-1/5Kw...and some MPs and Chanfas and diesel snowplows and trucks and stuff.

Firebrick

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2006, 06:25:02 AM »
How about just a small tank (5-10 gal) mounted above the paper towel filter which is above the other tank.  It could be straight gravity, or maybe pressurized by a line from the air compressor, or even placing a check valve to allow air into the small tank but not out.  It the tank was then painted black, the sun in the day time would heat and slowly pressurize the tank, the check valve prevents it from imploding when it cools off at night. Wouldn't work as well in the winter however. 

rcavictim

• Certified Generator Head and Grand Master Sparky
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2007, 04:45:19 AM »

A thought if this is to be used in an on hiway vehicle is that it will ualify as untaxed fuel if one is caught by the guys with the sysphon tube.  It would take alot of waste oil to make up for the $5000 fine.

You could argue that the oil in the tank was a fuel additive to increase the lubricity of the new pump diesel which without the additive would  damages your expensive FI pump.  Since it is not as effective as the expensive store bought additives, you have to use more per gallon.  ;D
-DIY 1.5L NA VW diesel genset - 9 kW 3-phase. Co-gen, dual  fuel
- 1966, Petter PJ-1, 5 kW air cooled diesel standby lighting plant
-DIY JD175A, minimum fuel research genset.
-Changfa 1115
-6 HP Launtop air cooled diesel
-Want Lister 6/1
-Large DIY VAWT nearing completion