Author Topic: British Container Shipment  (Read 31675 times)

38ac

• View Profile
Re: British Container Shipment
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2014, 01:57:27 PM »
Peter,
Gary has it right about Mike L. The reason for his engine(s) being left over there is soley on his own shoulders. I tried very hard to help Mike through his struggles and set things up so all he had to do was make a couple calls to those who are holding his engine(s) and they would have made the trip. He refused to do so for reasons only he knows. People over there are doing exactly what I would do if i was holding an engine for somebody, only that person's word means anything when it comes to moving it out,,
The exact reason his engine(s) are still there are the calls didn't get made that needed to be made to get them released. Thus over there they sit. My guess is that at some point they will revert to the ownership of those who are storing them.

Butch

Collector and horder of about anything diesel

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2014, 09:26:28 PM »
Thanks for the info, guys, I wasn't aiming at anyone, just wanted some insight as to what happened.

Peter

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 09, 2014, 06:35:42 PM »
It's sad that this shipment went so bad. I know a lot of us put a lot of time & effort into trying to get it moving. But we all cock up, and I must bear some responsibility for this.

Brett.... I thought your machines were the 2 that Joe Cobb sold to you via another gentleman of this forum, which were subsequently re-sold by Cobb & who refused to recompense either of you? That was my understanding at least... unless I've got the wrong chap. Further apologies if that is the case...

I'm pretty sure everyone who touched that shipment, except for the original sellers, has made a loss somehow.... I know I traipsed up & down the UK in a shagged out old lorry picking up engines; I took my car & trailer down to Norfolk to pick up one engine that looked like it'd spent most of its life in a shipwreck - and on the way back I damaged a petrol pump with the trailer which has only just stopped affecting my insurance premiums this year. Having stored 9 of the things for ages, it eventually cost me the best part of $1000 to ship them over to Mark's place, but by then I was sick of the sight of them. I eventually sold the lorry for 1/2 what I paid for it, it was a right pig in a poke.

Still, would I do it again?

F**k no...
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 10, 2014, 03:35:52 PM »
I remember you collecting the CE with that trailer  ;D ;D

Peter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 05:19:16 PM »
I think everyone owes you a tremendous thankyou for all your efforts Ade. Bravo! I hope that your payment arrangements with the various owners made your efforts worthwhile and that everyone has paid up!

Unfortunately, we may still require your input regarding some of the equipment you handled and identification issues. There are 5 machines here that have not been identified by serial number (as per specific owner) and still 2 owners that do not know exactly which ones belong where. I suspect that these mostly came on board for Jeff and you had a lot of the dealings with him. I am left with a process of elimination here - not quite enough detail about storage and handling history in the U.K.

dieselgman
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 05:32:47 PM by dieselgman »
ALL Things Lister/Petter - Americas
Lyons Kansas warehousing and rebuild operations

AdeV

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 10, 2014, 09:47:58 PM »
I think everyone owes you a tremendous thankyou for all your efforts Ade. Bravo! I hope that your payment arrangements with the various owners made your efforts worthwhile and that everyone has paid up!

Unfortunately, we may still require your input regarding some of the equipment you handled and identification issues. There are 5 machines here that have not been identified by serial number (as per specific owner) and still 2 owners that do not know exactly which ones belong where. I suspect that these mostly came on board for Jeff and you had a lot of the dealings with him. I am left with a process of elimination here - not quite enough detail about storage and handling history in the U.K.

dieselgman

IIRC, all the buyers who paid me to collect engines had them collected (eventually!) except for the two from Joe Cobb, who effectively stole Jeff/Brett's money by re-selling the engines & refusing to refund any money. Therefore, I have no qualms about naming him - he's based in South Shields IIRC. Caveat Emptor.

I complain about the lorry.... but it pretty much earned its keep. It wasn't going to get another MoT (road worthiness certificate) though, the cab was hanging off, the exhaust was hanging off, it dripped all kinds of fluids, it produced more smoke than a tramp steamer, was addicted to easystart and the lights were barely adequate. An Irish guy bought it to be a dock donkey, I had to drive it about 8 miles from my base to the ferry port, what a pain...

No problem on engine ID-ing, just send me photos of the bits, plus serial nos where applicable, and I will see what I can do. The only one that I was sad to see shipped over was the one on a nice wooden trolley (bit of a show pony, but it worked...), Mark had to take it off the trolley because of the "no organic material" rule.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 09:49:30 PM by AdeV »
Cheers!
Ade.
--------------
1x Lister CS Start-o-Matic (complete, runs)
0x Lister JP4 :( - Sold to go in a canal boat.

bschwartz

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 22, 2014, 12:42:38 AM »
Ade,

Only one of the Joe Cobb engines was mine (actually destined for my father's property).
That SOB should die from lead poisoning (pick your caliber).

-Brett

1982 300SD, 1995 Suburban 6.5, 1994 F250, R170, Metro 6/ sold :( , Witte CD-12 ..... What else can I run on WVO?

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 25, 2014, 08:16:35 AM »
Just some info for the memory banks:

We have booked a 40ft container with Mediterranean Shipping Co., sailing from Felixstowe to Oakland.

Most is taken up with Tim's cars and spares, costs is $US 4628 including documentation both ends but not duty (if payable)

Should be sailing 30th May, arriving mid-August. Was aiming for 21st April but other factors prevented that. We have an alternative ship the following week.

We had to open an account with them, provide company details, registration number and VAT number. Payment to be made up front.

Price is door to door, collecting at our 'facility' and delivered to Tim's address in Santa Clara CA.

Peter
« Last Edit: April 25, 2014, 10:17:27 AM by listerdiesel »

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 24, 2014, 12:17:10 PM »
Container-stuffing this weekend, got to move a lot of hardware around so we can get the car bodies and parts boxes out.

I'll get some pictures if I remember the camera.

Peter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #54 on: May 24, 2014, 02:44:00 PM »
That is an excellent price for door-to-door service. I hope that you can pull it off without a lot of extras added. Our latest 20 footer cost us an extra 1,035 $$$ just for Homeland Security inspection, and a LOT of other asundry importation bonding and brokerage charges (additional $827). I think we ended up with about $5,830 landed without any loading and unloading or storage costs added in. Best of luck!

dieselgman
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 02:47:55 PM by dieselgman »

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 24, 2014, 07:22:58 PM »
It's already invoiced and paid and includes handling both ends, customs etc excluded.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2014, 04:01:22 PM »
Container turned up at 09.15,  loaded and gone by 12.00.

6 pallets and 2 cars on trolley frames for mobility.

Lots of space in a 40 footer but soon used up when you're bunging car-length parts in.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 30, 2014, 10:38:33 AM »
Container due into Long Beach on the 1st July, then up to Oakland for the 3rd, which sounds slightly improbable unless the Captain puts his foot down!

The container was pulled for Customs inspection while in transhipment in Portugal, they do it by X-ray but adds another £100 or so to the overall bill,

Total invoice to date is £2676.11, of which £1000 is ocean shipping.

Peter

listerdiesel

• View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 02, 2014, 02:43:33 PM »
Ship is between Long Beach and Oakland, Tim has to pay for a Contraband Inspection on arrival, may be just an X-Ray, may have to strip it all out.

Already X-Rayed in Portugal, seems like they have a thing about unusual shipments!

Peter

dieselgman

• View Profile
    • Lister Parts
« Reply #59 on: July 02, 2014, 03:24:47 PM »
X-ray inspection fees are now routine and normal for all containers as far as I know. I think they are just scanning for explosives and such... (All of ours have been subject to this procedure). Some of our overstuffed parts containers have been held in customs inspection for two weeks for a full strip search... I hope yours is less troublesome than that.

dieselgman