Author Topic: Installing an electric tach on a 6/1  (Read 4700 times)

Fudgie

• View Profile
Installing an electric tach on a 6/1
« on: March 15, 2014, 06:19:56 PM »
Hello All
        Last week I posted a question, asking if anyone had any experience with hooking up a tach. Three people responded and I want to thank you all.
        Since the posting I spent part of the week trying to figure out and hook up an old Peterbuilt tach on my 6/1.  I took the Indian Alt apart and soldered a wire on the stator and put it out through the housing with a separate terminal. Then came the fun of synchronizing the tach to the engine speed. In the back of the tach are 10 tiny rocker switches which had to be played with using a hand held tach to get the speed right. The only thing left for me to do is come up with a mounting bracket.  At present its mounted inside a big flash light housing to protect it.
        My only hope is that perhaps this information will be useful to someone.  I took a few pictures and am going to try to include them with this posting.

God Bless You'all
Fudgie
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 06:48:49 PM by Fudgie »

veggie

• Keep Calm and Start the Lister !
    • View Profile
Re: Installing an electric tach on a 6/1
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 01:59:45 PM »
You can use one of these...

http://www.tinytach.com/diesel.php

Make sure you measure the diameter of your injector tubing to match the sensor on the tach.

Veggie
- 6/1 GM90 Listeroid - Delco 33si Alternator
- Changfa R175 - Lease/Neville Alternator
- JiangDong R165 Air cooled - 2 kw
- Changfa S195 (Waiting for a project)

Fairmountvewe

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2014, 02:41:30 AM »
Just out of curiosity, why couldn't you use a bicycle speedo that has a cadence function?  It uses a small magnetic pickup and a hall effect sensor to register pedal stroke, but wouldn't that also work as a tach?  Just a thought.

Peter
A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, cooperate, solve equations, analyze a new problem, and pitch manure. Specialization is for insects.

ronmar

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2014, 03:39:28 AM »
Yea, a bicycle speedo would work to derive an RPM from the engine.  I don't use a tach on mine.  I am only interested in the RPM that gives me 60Hz on the generator output, so I monitor that:)
PS 6/1 - ST-5.

Blue

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2014, 08:15:26 PM »
www.aetnaengineering.com  These guys make tacho's for any use, check 'em out. Might be a bit late for your project tho'. I replaced an old unit on a large Alpha, 500 hp 2 stroke diesel with two of these (one in the engine room and one on the bridge) and it served perfectly until I sold the ship years later and, for all I know, may still be working today !!!
Owned; Lister ST1, ST2, JP4, LD1 & 2x Blackstone ERS8. Petter AA1, AC2 and still up for it !!!