Author Topic: cold start warm up time to full load (and cool down?)  (Read 17490 times)

millman56

• View Profile
Re: cold start warm up time to full load (and cool down?)
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2014, 04:44:40 PM »
Not sure of your cause Mike but  I know that if the exh valve stem gets carboned and dry it sticks open a bit, under this condition the engine loses power and overheats enough to boil the oil in the valve reservoir . 
A lot of heat would be transferred up the stem and of course to the cap,  never noticed it on a Dursley CS as the caps are not painted. 

Mark.

mike90045

• Mendocino Metro
  • Mmmm BBQ
    • View Profile
    • Mikes Solar PV page
Re: cold start warm up time to full load (and cool down?)
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2014, 07:16:37 PM »
.. I know that if the exh valve stem gets carboned and dry it sticks open a bit, ...

Still starts when really cold, so I don't think that's happening.    So I'll just shut it down and not worry about the valves afterwards.  The stems and springs are not flooded with oil, but they get a squirt every 2 hours or so, and the exh valve oil sump is not burnt.  I'm still seeing some wet carbon blowing out the muffler, I'm running 2400w load @ 1400' elevation,  and am not seeing noticeable crankcase oil usage. (the splash dipper is about 1/2 submerged, the crank castle bolts are about 1/2" above the oil level.)